Author Topic: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries  (Read 41023 times)

Offline Paul Beck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 10 September 16 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hello to all interested in Dumfries history. I am tracing the Beck family, linked to Cummertrees and Ruthwell, and to the Huntington's Disease. I am in Melbourne Aust.
Regarding Greenbrae, I have a note saying that Archibald Beck aged 41 died at Greenbrae House 7.12.1893.  If he had HD, it suggests the house was an asylum of some sort.
Can someone tell me whether the House is related to the Landing?
What is the Landing- some river side dwellings perhaps?
Regards,
Paul

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 10 September 16 20:31 BST (UK) »
Paul Beck HI came across your post in roots chat I lived in Greenbrae from 1942 to 1968 and I have came across this before "  Greenbrae House " in fact The House was not in Greenbrae loaning at all but in fact on the Lockerbie road , you come out of Greenbrae turn left towards Dumfries you pass Irving Terr on the left about 300 yards still on the left and there is a house sits back which is in fact the house I think you are looking for Jim Robinson the plumber lived there when I was there, if any good
 dixie

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 11 September 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
Paul Beck HI came across your post in roots chat I lived in Greenbrae from 1942 to 1968 and I have came across this before "  Greenbrae House " in fact The House was not in Greenbrae loaning at all but in fact on the Lockerbie road , you come out of Greenbrae turn left towards Dumfries you pass Irving Terr on the left about 300 yards still on the left and there is a house sits back which is in fact the house I think you are looking for Jim Robinson the plumber lived there when I was there, if any good
 dixie

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 12 September 16 18:36 BST (UK) »
Paul Beck Hi again
                         Its dixie777 again just about forgot How to use this PC getting a bit lost at times, I had a mind to say that there was also a Hospital on the loaning but in my day in was the Scarlet Fever Hospital it may have changed from way back , We have one in Dumfries an Asylum  don't know when built but maybe then the one at Greenbrae  become a Scarlet Fever one the one in Dumfries is called The Creighton Institute Then ( new name The Creighton Royal ) its still there but what its fully used for don't know ( not being of that ilk I hope ) , It had padded rooms etc. the full work's for a person who was a bit slack in the brainbox area, This may help ? I also worked at ICI 63- 88 (19) that is, with a couple of lads one Norman Beck and the Vince Beck brothers There is also an Ian Beck who lives in Lockerbie now That's where I live, Now there you go all is ticketty boo.

777dixie cheers      Parkhead Cottages.

Currie, Mrs Margaret
Johnstone, Thomas, foreman
cleaner
Jardine, Thomas, railwayman
Smith, Mrs M. E.
Beck, Mrs M. H.?????????????????????? on Greenbrae Loaning Page 8 or 9 ? 777dixie
Kirkpatrick, W., labourer
Stoop.
Fever Hospital
(Miss Lindsay, matron)
Paterson, John, ploughman
Walker, Matthew, ploughman,
http://www.oldmapsonline.org/map/nls/75503129 try this map

Offline LESCOUP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 22 November 19 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Mathew Coid was my great grandfather's brother. Jimmy Coid
Who had 3 daughters jeannie phemie & Jessie.... Peggy Stewart was a cousin. and didn't die young it was my mother Rena Nicholson /Maxwell passed at 28 years old who had 2 daughters Arlene & Lesley. Our grandparents Jean & Tam Nicholson brought us up in Greenbrae
Great memories. I remember a lot of these  names

Offline ebpkiwiscot

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 21 September 20 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Greenbrae Folk,
My aunt lives on Greenbrae Loaning and I remember walking the dog in the grounds of the old hospital, playing in Noblehill Park and going to the mission on the odd Sunday. I am related to the Cannons, Jim and Annie were my mother's aunt and uncle, and went to Marchmount/the Academy with the daughter of one of the Curry girls. I am trying to find out where my Smith relatives lived on Greenbrae. James Smith was a policeman, but they may have lived there for a short time after WW1 and then moved on to Lockerbie.
huge thanks for any help