Author Topic: Clucas Family  (Read 8869 times)

Offline GillyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Clucas Family
« on: Tuesday 28 October 08 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I recently spent a few days in the Isle of Mann, doing a little research on some of my relatives who hailed from the Braddan area of Douglas. I managed to find some graves in Braddan church but would love to hear from anyone who have Lewins, Clucas's and Wards in their family. The Isle of Mann side moved over to Liverpool. I have gone quite a long way with the tree and would be interested to know if anyone has relatives who lived in Baliargey farm just outside the Braddan area.
The Clucas  name survived as a middle name up to my mother but has now been lost out of the family. My plan is to make as complete a tree as I can for my own children as my generation will be the last to remember some of the information passed to me by my Mum.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Clucas Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 23:17 GMT (UK) »
clucas is a very common name (see www.manxnotebook.com/famhist/fnames/sn1881.htm - if you give some dates + names then you may find http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes gathers more manx researchers - the clucas name is mostly south of the Island, Lewin typically around Braddan/Douglas whilst Ward is usually a 19th English comeover .

Is the farm Ballagarey in Marown ? - correct parish identification is quite important in Manx records
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline martink

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Just seen yr message,  Too late?
I have a Stephen Lewin married Margaret Lawson in Braddan circa 1786.  He was a cooper and started several businesses in Liverpool.  He must have been born about 1762 to Stephen Lewn and Ann Christian in Kiondroghad, the village of Onchan.  The farm of Ballargy is just over the parish boundary in Onchan and was tenanted by generations of Robert Lewns.  This farm is adjacent to the Miln-y-Corran which was tenanted by several generations of Lew(i)ns water flour millers.  Margaret Lawson descended from many generations of millers back to circa 1700.  I cannot connect these threads together.  Norman Killey

Offline GillyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 23:48 BST (UK) »
This is the tree as researched by a relative and partially confirmed by my own research in Isle of Man. I had a John Clucas married to a Frances Lewin - born 1824. I think her father was Robert Jacob Lewin 1798 -1877 and mother jane margaret clucas 1804 - 1875. I presume these were from different Clucas families. I am not 100% confident in these links but they seem to be correct.
Frances came from a big family and her siblings were Robert,Jane,Elizabeth,Eleanor,Henry,Rebekah,Thomas, William and Mary.

Offline martink

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 11 08:34 BST (UK) »
There were so few names in the Island that the old Manx saying " same name - no relation" applies.  I suppose if you could go back many generations some connection would apply but sadly I can make no connection with my
Lew(i)n family and the farmers at Ballargy nor the millers at Miln-y-Corran.
 My Killey clan was located in the German/Patrick area in the west and there is a Clucas connection over there too