Poll

How far back have you magaged to trace your WELSH ancestors?

Between 1850 and 1900
6 (9.8%)
Between 1800 and 1850
16 (26.2%)
Between 1750 and 1800
19 (31.1%)
Between 1700 and 1750
10 (16.4%)
Between 1650 and 1700
5 (8.2%)
Further back than 1650
5 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: How far back have you managed to trace your WELSH ancestors?  (Read 12520 times)

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census Info Crown Copyright of National Archives
    • View Profile
Re: How far back have you managed to trace your WELSH ancestors?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 February 05 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I was fortunate enough to get back to 1690 before meeting the infamous 'brick wall'.
When including the youngsters of the present family, I now have 10 generation's spanning over 300 years.
Lewis - Minera, Denbighshire & Llanerfyl, Montgomeryshire.<br />Davies - Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire.<br />Williams - Llanynys, Denbighshire.<br />Roberts - Cerrigydrudion, Denbighshire.<br />Clark(e) & Price - Wrecsam, Denbighshire.

Offline pritch19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 February 05 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Furthest i've gone back so far is 1795, my ggg grandfather James born in Llangattock Lingoed, Mon.  At this time the family name is recorded as Prichard, whereas in future generations it became Pritchard.

At the moment I am trying to solve the puzzle of who his parents where, I have record of two James Prichard baptisms in Llangattock Lingoed in 1795, which one is it though?

The majority of my other Welsh ancestors are not far behind, early 1800's.  Frustrating at times, especially with common surnames, but enjoyable and rewarding nonetheless.  My search goes on, i'm sure I can go further back (gonna try anyway).  Reached 1649 with one branch of my English line, so it can be done. 

pritch   :)

Census Information Is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 May 06 11:20 BST (UK) »
Well my side is all Welsh so I have only been able to get back through census, etc to 1780 but once I get through to Anglesey in the next couple of weeks I should be able to find them in the Parish Registers and maybe go back another generation.

They aren't easy to find with names like Thomas, Williams, wen and Griffith all in Anglesey!

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 May 06 12:07 BST (UK) »
thanks to the Monmouthshire parish records on line, I've got one family back to a marriage in 1766. The Jones line I should be able to find a birth about 1828 but not so far - she always gives Cwmcarvan as place of birth but baptism is elusive. The Watkins in Chepstow, again I can't find baptisms in the 1830s not helped by strange enumerator in 1841 or possibly the family did have 3 sets of twins aged 15, 10 and 5!
I thought I'd found births for the west Wales lines in early years of civil registration but when the certificates arrived last week, both were the wrong families. So still 2 choices of marriage in Llanbadarn Fawr in the 1820s and same sort of date for Edwards family. Brickwalled until I can get to see parish records.
My Cornish line however keeps growing thanks to the OPCs.   
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 May 06 12:30 BST (UK) »
I have Henry Hughes b Llangwm c1791 on my Taid's side and Hugh Evans &wife Sarah[no surname yet!! ] in the 1780's b Llandyrnog Denbighshire on my Nain's side.

I'm pretty certain about these names. Hope i'm not proved wrong when i get some more certs.  Poli. : ;)
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 May 06 12:51 BST (UK) »
I have managed to trace my Howells line back to Benjamin Howells born Steynton Pembroke 1796, they then moved to Aberdare Glamorgan and finally Treorchy and Treherbert in the Rhondda, along the way I belive that members of certain generations emigrated to Canada and America, but I have yet to prove this.
I have found the English side of my family much easier to trace as they tended to stay in the same villages for generations, and I have gone back to the early 1700s in England.
Regards Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 May 06 13:26 BST (UK) »
I broke the 'patronymic barrier' on three lines in Merionethshire and got back to early 1700s but most fade from view before 1750-ish. I only have one line that were 'settled' in the village I was born in and they're on the Notitiae.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***