Author Topic: Samuel Morris's family (c. Hereford)  (Read 53589 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Morris's family (c. Hereford)
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Just to make the search all the more interesting :D

I'm wondering about the three surviving daughters: Caroline Ann, Mary (Elizabeth) and Mercy. I know Caroline Ann was working for a family as a servant in 1881, and died ten years after; she was a spinster, aged 37. I don't know whether she had any children.

Mercy lost her mother in late 1881, and four years later gave birth to a son who died very young. She herself died aged 23 in early 1886.

As for Mary (Elizabeth), I would imagine she either died or married, which would explain why she isn't with her mother and sister in the 1881 and 1891 census entry. Is it possible to check her out, either as Mary or Mary E(lizabeth) Vickers/Vickress? Maybe she too was working in another household. There is a marriage in Dudley reg. district in Sep 1889 of a Mary Elizabeth Vickers and either Samuel Lunn (I think this would be her husband) or Joseph Potter. If she isn't on the 1891 census, maybe there's a Mary E. Lunn/Potter listed as having been born in Pensnett Staffordshire? As for her birth, I've had a look and there isn't a Mary Vickers who fits the census entry in 1861, but there's an Elizabeth born in Dec 1860 in Dudley (who would have been born as Henry's and Sarah's first child, a year after their marriage took place).

(Spidermonkey, I don't want to impose but you've been so helpful...) :)
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Fresh news: a probate record of November 1886.

Mercy Vickress died on Feb. 7th 1886, a spinster, in Erdington, in the county of Warwick. She was "late of 263 Great Lister street, Birmingham in the county of Warwick". The administration of the estate was granted to her sister Mary Elizabeth Vickress, spinster, one of the next of Kin.

So it proves not only that Mary Elizabeth was still alive in 1886, but she was single as well. The question now is what became of her after that...?
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 02:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a Samuel and Mary E Lunn on the 1901 census.  The age for Mary is a bit out - she seems to have knocked about 7 years off her true age (perhaps because Samuel gives his age as being born in 1868).  There is a corresponding death for Mary in 1907 in Dudley but again that gives her age as 40, about 7 years out for our Mary.

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Does it say where Mary was from? As far as I know Mary E was born in Pensnett, at least that's what the 1861 and 1871 census show, as were several of her siblings.

Thanks Spidermonkey, have a nice day! :)

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have Anne Morris m. Anthony Arndell 21/4/1708 at Kington. Just wondering if there is a connection.

Cheers,

Gary.