Author Topic: Emma Holland death 1947 Whitchurch/Symonds Yat  (Read 6991 times)

Offline Tiggersmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emma Holland death 1947 Whitchurch/Symonds Yat
« on: Thursday 30 October 08 17:49 GMT (UK) »
My great aunt Emma Holland, born 1871, died 1947 in The Cedars, Whitchurch - husband John Rupert Holland a retired Billiard Hall Manager.  Family gossip states the Hollands moved to Dunroamin in Symonds Yat in the late 1930s and had at least 3 children - all born Lambeth - Rupert 1896, Mabel 1900, Reginald 1898.  Any information gratefully received about The Cedars, possible Billiard Halls, Symonds Yat, or the offspring etc.. ???
Regards
Tigger

Offline dlerego

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Holland death 1947 Whitchurch/Symonds Yat
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi cant tell you anything about your family, but live close to where you are asking about, The Cedars was a guest house and is painted pink it is on the main cross roads in the village with the crown pup on its right and the PO on its left. it is for sale on rightmove.com

Applic No DCSE2004/2084/D Type Demolition Date Valid 22/06/2004
Location Old Billiards Hall, -, Welsh Bicknor, Ross-On-Wye, Herefordshire, HR9 6JJ
Proposal Demolition of building Parish Welsh Bicknor
Ward Kerne Bridge
Agent
Grid Ref SO59061,17799

The Cedars
8 bedroom end of terrace house for sale
Whitchurch

£450,000

A substantial eight bedroomed attached village residence of enormous character. Situated in the popular South Herefordshire village of Whitchurch, midway between Ross-on-Wye and Monmouth.

if I can help in anyway let me know and good luck

regards Diana
Herefordshire: Gloucestershire:
Dew, Luker, Cooke, Bowers, Rudge, Lerego, Lerigo,  Andrews, Symonds,

Offline Tiggersmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Oh Diana, wonderful stuff.  This family (my Great Aunt and Uncle) have proved to be nothing but trouble, but slowly, with your help a few more pieces have been added to the jigsaw.   I suppose it is possible that when Emma died in The Cedars it was a nursing home or similar.  Anyway, now I know what it looks like, many thanks.  It's a shame the Old Billiard Hall is gone but I will try and find out a bit more now I know it was in Welsh Bicknor.
Once again many thanks.
Tigger :D

Offline tingey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 00:21 BST (UK) »
A lot of what you got is not correct. I am Emma and Rupert Holland's granddaughter and  I lived at "Dunroamin" with them through the  war years  with my mother, and  uncles, who came and went. Then at the Cedars till i was 16. There were three sons, and my mother. Charles was the eldest, and was killed at Dunkirk. Next was Reginald, who worked at the Gloucester munitions factory. and was an avid Mormon. Next came my mother Mabel, who married my father Wilfred (Bill ) Tingey, and lastly, the youngest, uncle Alf.   Rupert bought Dunroamin from the proceeds of their large boarding house in London, which he had purchased with a sum of money given to him by his former employer, Lord Astor. Lady Asquith employed Emma, and she was either a cook, or her ladies maid -  never actually got  to  know which. There was a prized book, kept in a locked cupboard, from Margot to Emma. If she had been a cook, it would have been to Mrs. Evans, or a lesser person, just Evans, but to Emma, it seems to be, that she was (in fact) a more personal  maid. ....Continued....

Offline tingey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 00:28 BST (UK) »
To buy "The Cedars" Alf, and my father (who were both in the merchant navy) put their savings (together with granddad’s sale of Dunroamin) and purchased “The Cedars” to turn it into a guest house. It never was a nursing home. Yes, in times gone by, it had been an asylum, and was complete with two ghosts when we arrived there - and more have been added I expect! Emma died of cancer, and the following year, my mother Mabel also died of cancer. My grandfather, and uncles, departed back to London to live with friends, and my father and I stayed. Bill Tingey, my father, married again 2 years after my mother died, when I was 12 (1949). To my knowledge, granddad never managed a billiard hall. There was an excellent billiard hall in Whitchurch, but he never went there – he did like cards (playing crib) at the local pub, but he never rode a horse either, even though he had been in the cavalry, where he was supposed to be Lord Astor’s batman. Hope this has been of interest to Tigger’s mom. There is of course lots more, but I think this is what you really wanted to know.
Pat.

Offline Tiggersmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 September 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pat for this.   My sister Edna remembers going to Barry Island with you and your Mum.  Please get in touch.
Tigger

Offline Tonyarrow

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Holland death 1947 Whitchurch/Symonds Yat - Cedar House
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 15 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my family and am currently looking at the Ballinger’s. They all seem to come from Whitchurch/Doward!

I don’t know if you can help me ?

My Grandfather Frederick William or William Frederick Ballinger was born in Whitchurch in 1889 but seems to have returned to Whitchurch in the 1930’s

He is recorded as having died in January 1940 at The Cedars, Whitchurch. I believe that your property – Cedar House – is the same place.

Do you have any history of the house around 1940 that my help me solve the mystery of why he was there – I know he had split up with my grandmother earlier (around 1931). The person who registered his death was an H. Gardiner who is shown as Occupier, The Cedars, Whitchurch.

I understand the house was an Asylum at some point but I have failed to confirm when. Also an entry in this forum say it was never a (Nursing) Home

Hope you can help me

Thanks

Tony Arrowsmith

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 October 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Tigger and tingey haven't been online here for some time but should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea