Author Topic: Militia (Scotland) Act 1803  (Read 2110 times)

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Militia (Scotland) Act 1803
« on: Thursday 30 October 08 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have heard that the above Act required a survey of all areas to determine the number and names of men of eligible age for military service.

I wonder if anyone knows if the survey(s) still exists and, if so, where could it be accessed. I am sue, if it does still exist it would be a great source of information.

RoryT
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Militia (Scotland) Act 1803
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 October 08 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I haven't heard of that piece of legislation - the main legislation in Scotland regarding raising a militia was an Act of 1797 but it wasn't overly popular

"Wholesale rioting in the Lowlands greeted the initial attempts to enroll men in the militia lists in August and September 1797...The men chosen to draw up the lists were regularly threatened, and their lists destroyed. Deputy Lieutenants were often surrounded by armed men and forced to sign oaths that they would not assist in carrying out the act".

from
http://www.scan.org.uk/researchrtools/lieutenancy.htm

this link also contains further links to such lists as you mention for the County of Roxburgh

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 October 08 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Yup, 1797. There was an enumeration carried out in Perth in 1802 for all men eligible to serve - the following is from a dissertation I did last year for a university course:

At a time when radical publications such as Thomas Paine’s “Rights of Man” were seeding disquiet amongst the lower classes yearning political reform, the Militia Act of 1797 had been passed by the Government in order to raise some 6000 men into local defence militias and fencible units. These would be ready to keep any likely outbreaks of revolt in check by the various secret societies in operation at the time, such as the United Scotsman, which had been formed in Perth and heavily supported by the town’s weavers and shoemakers.

The act, when introduced, was deeply unpopular in Perth, as noted by George Penny in his 1832 publication “Traditions of Perth”:

“The Militia Act was the cause of much disturbance in the country, when it came into operation. The parish schoolmasters were attacked in various quarters; attempts were made to burn the session books, some of which were destroyed. Two troops of the Ayrshire Cavalry were lying here at the time; and every day expresses arrived from different quarters for troops to keep down riots and quell disorders. The Gentleman Volunteers were ordered to wear their side arms when they went out, and a captain’s guard was mounted every day in the Council Room”.”

Five years after the passing of the Act, a census was carried out in Perth to ascertain which of the town’s male population were eligible to join the militias, as hostilities with France intensified. A printed form was duly sent by schoolmaster Peter McCraw, constable, to every householder in the town, ordering the following:

TAKE Notice that you are hereby required within Fourteen Days from the Date hereof, to prepare or produce a Lift in Writing, to the best of your Belief, of the Christian and Surname of each and every Man resident in your Dwelling House, from and after the age of Eighteen Years complete, and not exceeding the Age of Forty-five years complete, distinguishing every Person in your Dwelling House of such age as aforesaid, claiming to be exempt from serving in the Militia, together with the Ground of every such Claim delivered to my house at South Street Perth.

The form required the occupiers to name all those in the house liable to serve in the Militia between the ages of 18 and 45, to list how many dependant children they had, whether they owned property to the value of at least £50, or whether they had any other reason for exemption from service. Failure to fill out the document would result in a penalty payment of ten pounds sterling, and anybody wishing to appeal for exemption with regard to service in the militia would have to do so November 4th 1802.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 November 08 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
Do these records still exist?

Rory
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 November 08 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rory,

Yes they do indeed for the most part, though some records for the Criagie area in the town have not survived. Each household recorded te above described schedule, and these are what still exist. I went through them all last year (getting my hands very dirty in the process) to extract info on the weavers in the town, but there are many others that I did not look at. The collection is held at Perth and Kinross Archives, and is fully indexed.

There are earlier Perth censuses for 1767 and 1773 also. All have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk (over a 3 monh period last year), but have yet to be indexed over in China. I suspect this won't be for a while, as all the stuff that was scanned last year seems to have been put on the back burner for now, though the newspaper index cards that Ancestry scanned have been indexed and are now available on the site.

Chris

Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com