Author Topic: Etchell/Etchells in Failsworth, Newton Heath,  (Read 4281 times)

Offline chrisw_99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Etchell/Etchells in Failsworth, Newton Heath,
« on: Friday 31 October 08 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Looking for anyone else researching the Etchells/Etchell family of Failsworth, Newton Heath, and Manchester in Lancashire.

Earliest name I have is James Etchells b est 1780-1790,  his son was Luke b abt 1807 Failsworth  d Mar Qtr 1877 in Prestwich District.  Luke was a silkworker and m Nancy ? b about 1804 Failsworth.  Their son, Daniel b 1837 Failsworth  who m Sarah ? is our family line,  but I believe that Daniel also had a brother Charles b abt 1843 Failsworth.   I think there were probably other siblings. 

Chris
Tyzack, Craven, Peake, Hall, Bellinger, Fargie, Marshall, Gibbons, Fairclough

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Etchell/Etchells in Failsworth, Newton Heath,
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 November 08 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Daniel b 1837 Failsworth who m Sarah ? is our family line, but I believe that Daniel also had a brother Charles b abt 1843 Failsworth. I think there were probably other siblings. 
Hello Chris

There was certainly one other sibling, called John, as indicated on the 1851 census ....

Manchester HO107/2231 Folio 250 Page 12

Luke Etchels Head M 44 Hand Loom Weaver of Silk Lancashire Failsworth
Nancy do Wife M 42 Hand Loom Weaver of Silk Lancashire Failsworth
John do Son U 17 Hand Loom Weaver of Silk Lancashire Newton Heath
Dan do Son 13 Hand Loom Weaver of Silk Lancashire Failsworth
Charles do Son 7 Scholar Lancashire Failsworth

Long Lane, Newton

Also, in the first quarter of 1858 Dan Etchells married Sarah Priestman in Manchester. He is listed on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ as Dean Etchells.

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 November 08 01:17 GMT (UK) »
IGI Batch I032072 suggests that Luke Etchells married Nancy Ridings on 15 April 1827 at Middleton by Oldham, Lancashire, England.

IGI Batch C020822 suggests christenings for children of Luke and Nancy, at Newton Heath, as follows -

Mary 01/03/1829
Joe 22/05/1831
John 25/08/1833
Dan 20/08/1837

posteria

Offline chrisw_99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 November 08 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information.  Much of it is new to me, especially the  surnames for the wives.

After reading your message, I also did a bit of searching in the IGI records and found  that James ETCHELLS, the father of Luke, may have married more than once--1) to Demeris ROTHWELL on 16 Oct 1791 in Cathedral, Manchester, and 2) Mary POLLETT 29 Nov 1795 in Cathedral, Manchester.   There is a third marriage record for a James Etchells to Betty WOLSTENHOME on 20 May 1832 in Cathedral, Manchester,  but by that time there are several other James Etchells so I am less sure if this is the same James.

The first 2 wives fit with other records including one  for the christening of Henry ETCHELS to Jas Etchels and Damaris on 10 Jun 1792 Newton Heath, Lancashire, England.  Mary was listed as the mother for later children. 

Chris
Tyzack, Craven, Peake, Hall, Bellinger, Fargie, Marshall, Gibbons, Fairclough

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 November 08 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris

You are very welcome. I am glad that my small contribution was of some use to you.

It seems to me that the chances of making connections, on this excellent site, with other family members or other people already researching the same family are not very good. Whilst it is not impossible, by any means, for such connections to occur occasionally, it seems, from my limited experience, that much more success is usually achieved by asking for look ups of specific things from total strangers who are very willing to share their amazing expertise, knowledge and resources with almost anyone who asks (nicely).

If, for instance, you were to ask (as a separate topic) for information about Charles Etchells born around 1843 in Failsworth I would imagine that within a matter of minutes you would be presented with the information from every census that he appears on from any one of hundreds of willing volunteers and they would probably also chip in with who and when he married etc.

You could also do the same for other members of the family if you wished. It is always much more rewarding to find things for yourself but if you do not have access to certain sources of information then there will probably be someone else who does.

posteria

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 November 08 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

This site may help in your search for Etchells, well at least dead one's  ;D

http://www.burialrecords.manchester.gov.uk/

Ken

Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 November 08 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It is always possible to use the "search rootschat" box at the top of the page to see if other people are looking for a particular name.  There are lots of hits for Etchells.  There is also a "surname interests" section.      It does take some time to find all these resources though.
Andrea