Author Topic: Henrys of Derry County - Pre 1800  (Read 36811 times)

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henrys of Derry County - Pre 1800
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 07:31 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know why the Henry farm in Dirtagh was called Flower Hill?

The townland was part of the Marquis of Waterford's estate. I have tried to find rentals and leases for his
estate in PRONI with only limited success. Perhaps there are is Waterford estate material in the National Archives
in Dublin which might contain Limavady material?

PS. Songster - Robert - you are a 2nd cousin once removed but need to post three times in order to activate the
Personal Message [PM] service and then I can give you additional information on the family.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I have also wondered about the name. I know that the west facing side of the mountain known as Binevenagh was famous for its honey because of the profusion of wild flowers and herbs. I think that the eastern side may also have had wild flowers. That's my guess.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 14:51 BST (UK) »
1871 sale catalogue- The Estate if John H. De La Poer, Marquis of Waterford-
Lot No. 115 The Townland of Dirtagh
William HENRY 44a 1r 12p
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Birdenia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 16:37 BST (UK) »
The book,"The Henry Family of Flower Hill, Ireland," does not state why the farm was called "Flower Hill."  In the text and in the diagram of the farm, (opposite p 18) are listed Flower Garden and Sally's Garden.  The Sally Garden had fruit trees and flowering shrubbery.  The rest are called fields, meadows, and parks, with two other names with which I am not familiar - Goose-wing and Shelldale.  Both authors mention fuchsia trees framing the door. 

I think Kinkerswell's explanation is probably correct.  Margaret Birdenia Henry was there in the spring and mentions the banks covered with buttercups, primroses, daisies and rockets.  She also writes that they will be there a month "among the flowers" which may have meant on the farm or on the hillsides.  Mrs. James Henry pressed flowers during the 1891 trip to Flower Hill; the flowers are framed with a drawing of the house.

I have tried to find rentals and leases for his
estate in PRONI with only limited success. Perhaps there are is Waterford estate material in the National Archives
in Dublin which might contain Limavady material?

Would the rentals and leases be at the Registry of Deeds or do they only have deeds for land sold?  I will check the web site for the National Archives to see if Waterford estate material is listed.

Aghadowey, can you tell me how to find the 1871 sale catalogue?  I was excited to see this and would like to try to get a copy.

Many thanks again for all your wonderful help!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:28 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how many copies of the sale catalogue were printed (it's a huge, thick, heavy volume) but some of the tenants certainly got them as several still exist locally. I had one and copied details of each lot but no longer have it. Under each lot are listed the tenants, amount of the holding, annual rent, rights of way and sometimes detail of previous leases.
Probably PRONI is the best place to try first- search using their e-catalogue.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline songster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
Bobby, Don't know quite what to say other than, 'Thanks'. Nice to 'meet' you. Bob.

Offline DrHenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 19:36 BST (UK) »
I have a lengthy (17 pgs) but relevant email from John Henry of Canada that cites sources and other material that I think would be of interest to Aghadowey, Gortinanima, Kingskerswell, and possibly others - but I think it is too long for this forum.  If those cited will give me their 'regular' emails by PM - or otherwise advise me how to get the message to them - I'd be glad to forward it accordingly.

Offline terrydoo73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 26 September 09 10:29 BST (UK) »
My name is Jacqui and my father Fred McIlmoyle owned the land known as Flower Hill Farm which belonged to the Henry family and sold to Matthew McElmoyle (a cousin of his grandfathers) in 1891.  Dad sold the farm about 20 years ago.  He had the privilege of meeting Birdenia last weekend (20 September).  Thank you to Bridenia for directing me to this site.  Over the past 25 years we have had quite a few visitors to Flower Hill and I was so delighted to see this discussion on this forum.  Unfortunately I am not able to help you as regards the older generations of John and Rachel Henry but am very keen to help in any other way.  I notice a discussion on here about Rachel Henry's younger sibling John who married Rachel McMillan (got quite confused about this for a while!).  We had visits for 1 couple who were descended from this marriage - Ann Henry who married Wilson  but unfortunately have lost this link probably as a result of old age.  I am really keen to hear of the connection from William Henry's family - I know there were 11 other siblings and Birdenia coming from one of them.  Please respond Dr Henry - I am keen to know where you come in on the tree!

Offline terrydoo73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 26 September 09 10:33 BST (UK) »
There is one other family - the Countryman's from Alberquerque who are supposedly directly related to William and James Henry - Bill was in the airforce and visited us first just using the address given on the little Henry Book - how it arrived was amazing.  His wife was Swedish and were tracing their roots.  I know that Bill and Wanda had 3 children - 1 boy and 2 girls.  Again if anyone knows their whereabouts I would be so glad as would my dad.