Author Topic: Any information - Richard Alsop and Bridget  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
Any information - Richard Alsop and Bridget
« on: Saturday 01 November 08 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am trying to find some information on Richard Alsop (or Allsop) born about 1827 in Burbage, Leicestershire, England.  He married Bridget born around 1827 in Ireland (according to later UK Census listings although the age ranges from 1825 to 1829) sometime between 1841 and 1851. 

They had their first child Ann around 1849 in Ireland (according to UK Census listings) suggesting that he may have married her in Ireland before moving back to Burbage, Leicestershire, England for the 1851 Census onwards.

Unfortunately i do not have any further information.  If anybody can help me, although i know its a long shot, i'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

TB

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Any information - Richard Alsop and Bridget
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 January 09 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to bump this topic but has anyone got any ideas on how i may progress this line of enquiry?

thanks in advance.

Tb

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 12 17:20 GMT (UK) »
I have had a new lead.

Bridget had a brother called Peter.  I can see that Peter got married in Nuneaton in 1852 and that his father is confirmed as Lawrence too!  Helpfully Peter states in his later census that he born in Dublin - abt 1829 - and so i assume that is where Bridget is also from. 

I had wondered why Bridget moved to Nuneaton, Warks - that was where she died and was buried in 1895, as was Peter in 1906.

It would be useful if we could find the 1841 census for Peter and Bridget - and better still with a father Lawrence.  Bridget married her first husband Richard sometime after 1841 (as Richard was in Burbage then) most probably in Ireland around 1848.  So Bridget and Peter are most likely in Ireland as i cannot see an obvious marriage for Bridget and Richard in the UK.

Can anybody help me research Bridget Cassidy further?

Thanks in advance.

TB

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 12 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Your best bet is probably to follow up on the various family members born in Ireland on the English census returns to see if you can establish more detail on where in Ireland they came from. Since the dates you are searching for are before the start of full civil records, you ideally need to know the townland or parish they lived in, as well as their denomination...

see: Introduction to Irish Records
       My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 12 17:33 GMT (UK) »
p.s. what's Lawrence's occupation ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 12 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.

Sadly Lawrence is listed as a labourer on both Bridgets second marriage and Peter's marriage certificate.

So i am looking for a family likely to be from Dublin, Ireland comprising:

Lawrence Cassidy (father)
Bridget Cassidy (born abt 1827) daughter
Peter Cassidy (born abt 1829) son

Any help would be much appreciated.

TB

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 12 17:43 GMT (UK) »
problem is - "Dublin" can mean the city, county or suburbs etc and covers quite a few of parishes and it was quite a large city population-wise in those days, so there could be numerous Cassidy families.

If they lived in the city area you could try the records on :

www.irishgenealogy.ie

It also covers a few county/suburb parishes.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 12 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I had a search of the parishes covered by IrishGenealogy website, and unfortunately found no good matches for Peter or Bridget. A number of Cassidy baptisms listed during the 1820s, but none with father Lawrence.

Peter Cassidy baptisms
  Bridget Cassidy baptisms

note- many RC records include the Latin version of Christian names.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 12 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking.

This is my only Irish connection.  I am aware that Irish records are generally incomplete so i did not hold out alot of hopes.  It was a longshot really although i hoped that the location of a brother may provide me with the breakthrough i needed.

Any other ideas are much welcome.  i see that Anc**try has a death in Dublin South for a Lawrence Cassidy in 1867, aged 67 - could this be the father....

TB