Author Topic: Ralph's To/From Germany  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Benny Ralph

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ralph's To/From Germany
« on: Saturday 01 November 08 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this site and have took a quick look around and found it very helpful.

I am looking for my 3 X great Grandfather who was born Suffolk in 1837 and in about 1866 moved over to Magdeburg Germany with a company called Garrett's Of Leiston along with his future wife (and my future (or past) 3 X great Grandmother) Gertrude Elizabeth Farrington/Furrington/Ferrington (1845) and her father Lazarus (1820) and her mother Maria Coleman (1820) and all her brother's and sister's (Thomas (1844), George Herbert (1848), James (1848), Ellen James (1854) & Harry (1857)).

My 2 X great Grandfather was born in Magdeburg Germany in 1880 and had seven brother's and sister's (Alfred John (1870), Alice Gertrude (1871), Robert William (1873), Arthur Charles (AKA Karl, 1878), Lucy (1883), Edwin (no info), Maurice (No info) & Herbert (No info)) and he came over in about 1898 along with Arthur Charles (AKA Karl) and they lived in the same area of Leeds as each other, just down the road from where I live now. They are both on the 1901 Census and Arthur Charles is down as Karl and there was a rumor of Karl being killed in WWI for cowardice but we have been in contact with his daughter Elsie (1919) and she gave us all the info on Walter & Karl's brother's & sister's and why the family moved to Germany but she isn't replying to our emails anymore. The youngest sibling, Lucy, came over to Germany in about 1903 and married a Harry Lazenby (1883) and we have got all the info about her as we have contacted her 2 X great grandchild.

But on Walter's marriage certificate to Eliza/Ann Eliza/Annie Eliza Ashbridge in 1905 it has Karl as a witness and says as fathers name Moses Ralph, Carpenter, Diseased so we know he died before 1903 but we don't know anything about any other brother or sister and why only they came over.

Could anyone help, does anyone have the Germany (is it Worldwide) Ancestry or have access to the German Census and be able to look it up for us about Moses and/or the rest of the people please??

Thank you so much for your help.

Ben

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ralph's To/From Germany
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 November 08 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the Forum :)

Sorry, but in general, there is no german census.  There are one or two older, local censuses, but the "evry 10 years, with names" as in the UK and USA and some other countries just doesn't happen.

Gnereally speaking, for german records, you need to know the exact place so you can write to the Registry Office or Church Archives. Usually you will also need to prove you are a direct descendant before they give you any information.

see http://www.magdeburg.de/index.phtml?sNavID=1.100&La=2
for the english version of the official Magdeburg website.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 November 08 08:26 GMT (UK) »
I tried searching for magdeburg garrett and got some hits:

Many of the rollers Burrell's built were sold onto the export market and this particular engine was exported to the Meissner and Dietlein agency in Magdeburg, Germany.
http://www.bwlr.co.uk/traction.php

could this have been the connection ?

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 08 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ben,

Are you hoping to find out about their lives in Germany or trace him in Suffolk?

The Suffolk Surnames List is an excellent way of contacting fellow-researchers.

http://www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk/

Click on the 'Go to the Surnames List' on the left, then click [R-RE] and scroll down.

Looks like Elsie Hill researching Ralph in Leiston from 1795-1837 could be a good start.

Justin

Offline Benny Ralph

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 November 08 12:59 GMT (UK) »
WOW, Elsie Hill is a person who contacted us a few months back and after many emails after that she doesn't reply to them and we don't know how she got our email address as all the people we are in contact with don't know her.

Now we know she isn't a spirit from the dead LOL

Thanks to both of you for the help, I will try and see if Elsie will get in touch with us again.

Ben