Author Topic: Grantham Giddy  (Read 8375 times)

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
  • Jacky Clark (nee Jacqueline Allen)
    • View Profile
Grantham Giddy
« on: Sunday 02 November 08 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Grantham Giddy, a Miller, b1783 at Skidbrook son of John Giddy and Mary Grantam was deported to Australia on the Minerva in 1821. He left behind a large effectively orphaned family for his wife Lucy Broddle (Brodell) died in Alford in 1820.

I think he may well have had another family in Australia for the name Grantham Giddy seems to occur there. He received a pardon on 31 Dec 1836

If anyone comes across the reason for deportation, I would be grateful.

My next trip to Lincoln Archives wont be until spring.

Regards

Jacky
My Maternal line are all from Lincolnshire - First Generations include:
Arliss, Armstrong, Baker, Borman, Cartwright, Clark, Dixon, Duckering, Everington, Forman, Freshney, Gadsby, Graves, Hatcliffe, Holmes, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Lacey, Leverton, Lilley, Morton, Oades, Pacey, Priestley, Rickett, Riggall, Rowson, Shaw, Sleaford, Sleight, Smith, Spikin, Taylor, Thacker, Ticklepenny, Tomkins, Tyler, Walton, Ward, Willson, Wood and Wortley.

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grantham Giddy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 November 08 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacky

Interesting how he was transported for life but was released after 15 years.  I've seen this sort of thing before, where someone got 14 years but was back home in 7.  We tend to think "half time" is a modern thing.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 November 08 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Nothing new is there. Given the timing of his wife's death, I do hope he did not bump her off.

This family interests me because of the links to the Maxey's of Louth. Granthams daughter Mary had two illigitimate sons with Thomas Maxey - resulting in the Giddy Maxeys or the Maxey Giddys depending on which record you are looking at. They tend to stick to Maxey for the Census ad Giddy for hatching and Matching.

Thomas Maxeys' father was turnkey at Louth Prison and an adopted descendant Albert Ernest Rowson Maxey was Mayor of Louth I believe five times.

Regards

Jacky
Arliss, Armstrong, Baker, Borman, Cartwright, Clark, Dixon, Duckering, Everington, Forman, Freshney, Gadsby, Graves, Hatcliffe, Holmes, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Lacey, Leverton, Lilley, Morton, Oades, Pacey, Priestley, Rickett, Riggall, Rowson, Shaw, Sleaford, Sleight, Smith, Spikin, Taylor, Thacker, Ticklepenny, Tomkins, Tyler, Walton, Ward, Willson, Wood and Wortley.

Offline beady

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 08 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Grantham Giddy age 38, on 10 March 1821 at Lincoln assizes given transportation for life. the offence origin somercoates office.
This ref will get you the details from Lincs achives.
Cheers
Barry
Dring, Keightley, Lincs,  Davies, Stuckey, S Wales

Offline Gillywilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just a bit more to add to Barry's post. 

http://microsites.lincolnshire.gov.uk/archives/convictsdetails.asp?id=3667

Gill

Pickering - Newland, Cottingham (E.Yorks) poss. Durham
Wiles - Atwick, E. Yorks
Cape - Bridlington, Hull
May - Lincs & E.Yorks
Lamb, Leonard & Ingram - Holderness
Holmes - Knottingley/Gainsborough
Paterson - Southwark, London

Offline fidani

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 November 08 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacky

Yes your quite correct. He did have another family in Australia. He married Sarah Ann Haines 27 Jun 1840 at Scots Presbyterian Church in Sydney, NSW, Australia. They had three boys and a girl. All married and the three boys all had lots of little Giddy's.

Sarah is a sister of my wife's Great Grand-father.

Why he was deported I don't know. He was tried at the Assize Court so his crime was serious. I have a copy of his pardon (conditional pardon) but alas it does not state the crime either. He died in 1858 at Camden in NSW and Sarah lived until 1908. She married again on 28 Apr 1859 and had another 5 children. They certainly didn't hang about in those days. It would seem that the done thing was to be married and procreate!

Like you, I would dearly love to know what his crime was.

Cheers for now

Bill
My email address is no longer working
Meiers, Andrews, Gray, Inglisby, Mitchel, Edwards, Fidani, Stephenson, Sutton, Thompson, Braund, Oswell, Poulareci, Paluire, Haines, Watson, Patrick, Leeson, Russell, de Roche, Santer, Norcott, Wickham, Randall, Gant, Mitchell, Frigger, Chantler, Hyland, Briant, Ailwyn, Weaver, Allcorn, Apps, Barnes, Bateup, Bugg, Chadwick, Clarke, Colebrook, Coombs, Curry, Dabinett, Drowley, Dunn, Kelly, Fairall, Funnell,

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 November 08 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.

I have it on my list for my next trip to Lincoln Archives to see if I can find out more. Unfortunately that won't be until March/ April time.

His crime probably was not so bad - I have come across transportees who had done little more than steal a silver spoon - or more seriously a horse. Times were very tough then and punishments incomprehensible to us now.

His family in Australia were proud enough to continue his name, so he cant have been all bad.

I will let you know what I find out - unless of course a very kind person who is visiting the archives before that beats me to it.

Best regards

Jacky

Offline dencar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 April 09 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Jacky.  Might be able to help with some info on Grantham Giggy -- was my great-great grandfather. Our information is thus:-
He was born 9/3/1783 Skidbrooke Cum Salt Fleet Haven died Menangle NSW 26/6/1858. Married 1) Lucy Broddle 27/1/1809 & 2) Sarah Haines 27/6/1840. His crime was horse stealing- sentenced to life- arrived Sydney on convict ship Minerva 16/12/1821.
We have lots of info on his Aussie descendants if you require it -- we are really interested to find out about hist first family.

Regards

Dennis

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 April 09 12:42 BST (UK) »
Brilliant. Would love to know more - if you would e-mail on Moderator Comment - E-Mail Address removed, please use the Private Message Facility I will send you a report of what I know of the English descendants. The descendants of his daughter Mary are particularly interesting.

Jacky