Author Topic: Grantham Giddy  (Read 8376 times)

Offline denjulros

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grantham Giddy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Jacky
my brother has contacted you re Grantham Giddy our great great grandfather, I have quite a bit of family tree information for you, and perhaps you can fill in  a few gaps re his life before he was transported. The crime he committed was horse selling as you say not a bad crime, however, the crimes did not have to be very bad for them to be transported, children as young as 9 were transported!!
So please contact me. cheers Julia

Offline dencar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hello again Jacky.

My sister Julia has contacted you & she is our"guru" on family history & such matters so will leave it all to her.

I'ts really exciting to make a connection with dear old Grantham Giddys first family!! What a strong man he must have been -- 137 days on the ship -- 5 deaths through scurvy on the voyage out -- arrived in Sydney in the middle of January -- hottest month of the year & gang marched ( presumably with leg irons on) to Bringelly about 40kms outside Sydney for assignment. He was assigned to Thomas Hawkins at Bathurst -- so he had to cross the mountains! --anyway Julia will send you all the details.

Our Mother ( born Coral Myree Giddy)  is 90 & still hale & hearty. She is his great grand daughter- amazing when you think that she has great grandchildren of her own.

Await further information with anticipation.

Regards

Dennis

Offline rox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm a newbie to forums and family research. I live in Derbyshire and have only started to try and trace my family roots a few weeks ago but I have discovered that my great grandmother ada maxey was willliam giddy maxeys daughter. Id love to know more about this family line so I was fascinated to find this discussion about Grantham on the internet. I am planning a visit to Louth in a few weeks time , do you have any pointers on where I should go to find out more.?  Many Thanx Rox
cleveland (margate & hull)
cleveland australia
fendley cleveland
iveson (hull)
Iveson(canada)
lynch
phillips (sculcoates)
ginger (sculcoates hull)
Ladd
Bushell
stanley
miller
wright (hainton lincs)
wright Louth
wright hull
giddy (louth lincs)
maxey (louth)

Offline denjulros

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 June 09 01:00 BST (UK) »
Well hello and welcome to the wonderful world of family research. I am a decsendant of Grantham Giddy's Australian family so probably cannot help with the information you need. However Jacklin who is also on the grantham Giddy list has quite a bit of information on his English family that he left behind, when he was transported to Australia. Once transport it became very difficult for a convict to get back to England and most remain in Australia and remarried. it was deemed that if in Australia over 7 years you would be legal divorced from your British family and could remarry in Australia, I guess another way to populate a new country. Hopefully Jacklin will respond to your inquiry as I think she is interested in the Maxey family tree. good luck and cheers from Australia

Offline rox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 June 09 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Australia,
This family research lark has taken over my life!. I keep expecting to find that all my branches are all related in the end.
I have a lovely photo of Ada Maxey and knew my grandpa adored her. He was a very gentle kind man and I am amazed to find out about the history to his family. It brings them alive again doesnt it?. My grandma's brothers emigrated to Australia after the war so I wonder if the Fendley Clevelands ended up marrying into the Giddys. Fascinating aint it?.Hope Jacklin responds soon.
 Thanx for replying Rox.
cleveland (margate & hull)
cleveland australia
fendley cleveland
iveson (hull)
Iveson(canada)
lynch
phillips (sculcoates)
ginger (sculcoates hull)
Ladd
Bushell
stanley
miller
wright (hainton lincs)
wright Louth
wright hull
giddy (louth lincs)
maxey (louth)

Offline Graham Giddy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 03:08 BST (UK) »
I have spent the last few weeks tracking down my descendants from Giddy, heard along the tracks Grantham may have married a young girl once he gained his freedom, my side of his family is buried in Goulburn
I will add more later. Thanks for this site

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 April 16 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Welcome to RootsChat I am sure Jacky will be excited to read your reply, she has been notified of your reply ;)

Jacky if you have forgotton your password and need help please click on the red "contact us" button on the first page of RootsChat.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lauchlangiddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 February 24 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, Australian Giddy here
Lauchlan John Giddy via John Francis Giddy via Fredrick thomas Goodwin giddy via John Grantham Ferguson Giddy
The Giddy you speak of was a miller and departed for horse stealing , however the story seems to go that he was not respectful enough to the young lady of the house. She took to him with a riding crop as she was mounted. he grabbed the reins, she fell, he just grabbed the horse and bolted. Horse stealing was a hanging offence. Being a miller saved him. He was sent to NSW to build the first flour mill in outer western Sydney at Richmond or Penrith or similar. He milled the first flour and basically saved the colony as they had grown the first wheat. The colony nearly starved several time but this mill gace security. I believe he built a second mill at Bathurst. At least one < the first, (possibly the second, is still standing. My Uncle had his name as Grantham shortened to Grant.

Offline lauchlangiddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 February 24 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Grantham married Alice Maria Kearns in australia.