Author Topic: PAGE family of Middlesex 18th/19th centuries (completed)  (Read 16858 times)

Offline JackiePage

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PAGE family of Middlesex 18th/19th centuries
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 04:24 BST (UK) »
Charles Robert appears in more than one tree and accounts of his children vary slightly. This is the one I'm working with:
Henry         1812
Charles Robert      1813 (d. Tasmania 1894)
James         1816 (20 Mar)
Jane         1816
William         1818 (d. 1894)
John         1821
George         1829
Arthur         1831

Only the last two appear in the parental home in the first two censuses
As far as I can tell at least three of his sons were early settlers in Australia - James being in Tasmania as early as 1845 according to the record of his second child's birth.

One detail in this tree bothers me: Thomas Page (father of Charles Robert) is said to have been born 1755 and married 1767. I suppose this must mean that he was christened some years after his birth, which must be before 1755 unless we are to contemplate his marrying at 12.

hi im doing research on pages in Australia the names of Charles Robert's children match the ancestors of mine that first came out here. but dates aren't quite the same our ancestors came out in 1825 on the ship the Andromeda the brothers.
Henry n wife Sarah
Charles n Rebbecca
James n Matilda
William
john.
and their children.

Contact me through

Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spamming and other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thank you

Leigh Page

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PAGE family of Middlesex 18th/19th centuries (completed)
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Leight

Welcome to Rootschat

It might be worth as a beginning reading through the guidance for posting

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,403279.0.html

We don't allow personal emails on Rootscat. We use something called pms - personal messaging instead. You can click on the name of any poster on their post and send them a personal message. You can't use this sytem until you have made three posts, so it might be worth making two further posts giving more information so you can get going and carry on the conversation after that as you both wish.

Regards

Valda
co-London and Middlesex moderator
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lidiane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 December 18 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My mother was a Page - and the page millions have always fascinated me. I only came across your
query as I have just had an article published on Blessed Francis Page - executed as a Catholic Priest in 1602 and am just finishing off another on his cousin Anthony Page another Catholic priest executed in 1593.
So I googled Page millions and up you came.
I do have a large family tree but probably it only follows our line down to modern times but I will try and trace you on it and let you know.

I always understood that the last attempts to get the estates out of Chancery crippled the family financially and that's why no one tried again.

best wishes
Fiona

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 December 18 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona
Pleasant surprise to find a response to my Page research. It's been quite some time since I undertook any family research. I hit the proverbial brick wall with my 3 x great grandfather, Henry Page––never able to find details of his birth / christening. I know he died in Hillingdon, Middx in 1851 and was buried in Hayes Churchyard. I know the names of his brothers, corroborated by details in the 1861 Chancery proceedings, in which Henry Page's descendants lost the right to inherit from an uncle, Thomas Page. I have birth/baptismal details for Henry's siblings, so presume Henry's parents were Thomas Page and Susanna Middleton, married 1767 in the parish church of St Margaret of Antioch, Darenth, Kent.
I too was quite excited by the Page Millions story, but in the end I could not find any link whatsoever between my ancestors and the funds in question. A descendant of one of Henry Page's sons, James (who migrated to South Australia in 1850) made something of a splash in the Australian press by setting out to prove 'our' entitlement. She based her claim on a couple of family legends of probably spurious authority, and the claim came to nothing.
You have made me decide, when time permits, to dig out my old research files ... my memory is a little hazy on details. If anything about my Page family members accords with details of your family tree, I'd be keen to learn!
Best wishes - Happy New Year and happy researching! IAN

Offline Lidiane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 28 December 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian
Quick reply!
I am short on Henrys - only one who married a Mary Lott and died without issue in 1829.
When you get further back than your Henry I could try again.
The Pages do seem centred on Mddx - Harrow and Wembley and Sudbury

best
Fiona

Offline Lady Kitty23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

I found out about this case a while ago in an ancestry page I am Bev Downs Ellen Downs was my great great grandmother was she actually telling the truth was she related to henry Im the descendant of John Downs the brother of Agnes Theodosia Downs 
downes martin ellis bishop lee wilde peplow

Offline LindyLou275

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 August 19 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but what a fascinating read! I only heard about this case recently while researching my family tree. My 3rd Gt Uncle, Alfred Charles Lott apparently made numerous attempts to secure the estates between the 1870s and around 1910 funded by bond holders to the sum of £30,000. He claimed that Henry Page's Will was invalid because he only had a life interest, and that the estates should have been passed to the Crown and held for the benefit of any representatives of the family who might be discovered. In this event the would be entitled to statutory payment as the informer. He died in 1921, leaving the grand sum of £33, so it's safe to say he wasn't successful in his quest!

Offline Lidiane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 03 August 19 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
I thought the problem was that the Page estates are in Chancery. My family beggared themselves fighting the case - maybe with Alfred Charles Lott - in the late 19th cent. There was an advert in the mid 1920s in the News of the World asking for descendants of the Page family. Maybe we could get one of the TV Heir Hunting programmes to take an interest

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 03 August 19 20:07 BST (UK) »
I don't know about Heir Hunters, but the story of the Page Millions is crying out to be made into a well researched documentary film––it remains one of the great mysteries. A member of my Page family travelled to England to make a claim back in the 1920s, based on a family legend. She got nowhere. I found no hard evidence to link 'my' Page family with the millions ... sadly!