Author Topic: 12th July and Orange Lodges - Help offered  (Read 73729 times)

Offline SQUID978

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 12th July and Orange Lodges - Help offered
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
Squid, still working on this. LOL68 moved from Ballymaclose to Roses Lane Ends in 1908.

At that time the W.M. was a Bro. John Cuddy and the D.M. was a Bro. William Bell - are either of these surnames familiar to you?

Hi Mark, these names don't mean anything to me unfortunately. The other sash is a Black 357 which I think may be Ahgalee? The only name around that area that I would be linked with would be Edward Stitt who married my Grandmother Georgie Armstrong, I hail from Ballymacash.

Just an update on this, I had an opportunity recently to show the picture to a prominent member of Ballinderry District. They are of the opinion it is a relation of a 'John Armstrong' who was originally from the Ballinderry area and moved to Ballymacash, either John himself or John's father perhaps? I am still waiting on a list of Past Masters to try and tie this connection down. What relation is John to yourself?

Not quite sure yet, possibly my Grandmother's Uncle, Brother of my g g/father Robert Armstrong from Moneybroom. I'm going to Derriaghy church on Fri and hope to get some information. I also plan to get to the records office at some time this year, not easy as I live in England. Thanks for your efforts.

Offline nenny4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Monday 09 August 10 03:47 BST (UK) »
 Hi
 :) would appreciate if you could locate any info on my grt grandfather James Lough of Clones,Monaghan (parents Wm Lough and Susanna Colter) he was born about 1852..I believed him to be a member of the Orange Lodge not sure whether in Clones  or Glasgow Scotland where he settled and married however he returned to Ireland on holiday and died at Enniskillen Hospital 1917 thanks for any help :)
Marshall / Thaw / Gowan from Livingston and Kirknewton areas West Lothian  Scotland..... Lough Families Clones Ireland and Glasgow Scotland and U.S.A........ Mckenzie /Glencoe Scotland

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Sunday 22 August 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, do you have a list of names for the whole of Northern Ireland or is just county antrim? I would like you to look up a few names for me.

Offline WJDA

• I have chosen no emails anymore
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Monday 22 November 10 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate
I went to school with a Cunningham family from that area who went to NZ circa1960 i also know a lot about Orange LOL in Newry area if  it  is of any help to you

Offline Brosie

• RootsChat Member
  • it's the roots that make the branches sparkle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Friday 26 November 10 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello fmni,
                 looking for any information on a family member James George,
                 he was a member of the Knights of Malta just off of Shaftsbury
                 Square Belfast, he passed away as far as I know in 1961, the
                 last known address I have is Southport street the old park.
                 His son Cecil also deceased was a purpleman in the church
                 of the ascension Cloughfern.
                                                               regards Brosie.

BOYD. BRODIE. CLOSS. Morrison. Kennedy. ROBERTSON. AYRSHIRE.  GEORGE. PATTON. STEWART. ALEXANDER. CARSON. HALL. BOYD. NORTHERN IRELAND. KIE BLACKSTOCK WIGTOWNSHIRE.

Offline Elsa-Mary

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 02 December 10 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, from Jaen Spain :)

Are you actually able to find Orange LodgeMembers?  -FORGIVE  :-[ MY IGNORANCE.I
My mother told me her father Alexander  Robinson bc1898 d 1958,was a member of an Orange Lodge,the family lived in Auchnacloy,Tyrone.
Alexander was an RUC  policeman -been unable to establish whether he was B Special -even tho I have an old photograph of him in uniform,apparently there was litle difference in uniforms.
Would you be able to help-it would be another link in the chain .

Regards
Elsa-Mary
Lunt, Greenwood, Lancashire/Cheshire/N Ireland.
Taggart,Robinson,Bates. N Ireland
Roberts, Liverpool.
Amos, Mostyn, Flintshire.

Offline TheFerg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Friday 18 February 11 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Roger
162 St John's Islandmagee is a Masonic Lodge, and also a Royal Arch Chapter, Redhall (in Ballycarry) is a "sister lodge" and quite a few brethren are in both.
The was a David McCalmont who was the Worshipfull Master a few years back and is probably related to your forebears.
With regard to Masonic membership, family ties are not a requisite, all you should need to do is contact a local lodge and enquire about joining.
I hope this is of some use.
Graeme

Offline corks

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Monday 18 April 11 19:44 BST (UK) »
Can you tell me if my ancestors might have been members of orange lodge in and around Ballymena. Probably in either Cullybackey or Connor or Ballycowan. The names I'm looking for are William John Allen, Elizabeth Hessen, Robert Allen and David Hassan. The years would be round about 1850 - 1885.
Can you tell me which lodges would have been in these areas then.
Kind regards
Dab

Offline tory6208

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 22:39 BST (UK) »
I would like to take you up on your offer if it's still there.

My ancestor Robert Maxwell, born abt 1796 left Ireland with wife and sons William, born 28 Feb 1819 and James, born abt 1823.  William was an orangeman in Canada and in Michigan when the family came here.  I'm assuming that Robert would have been as well.  The area should have been Carncastle, Kilwaughter, Grange of Killyglen or Larne Parishes.  Sorry I don't have any additional information.

Whatever help you can give me would be appreciated.

Tory