Author Topic: 12th July and Orange Lodges - Help offered  (Read 73732 times)

Offline focusenergy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 12th July and Orange Lodges - Help offered
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 27 February 10 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi - My father was Samuel Crone from Lisburn, and Grandfather was also named Samuel from Lisburn! How can I help you? We are looking for my brother Allen if you can assist it would be appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 27 February 10 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi - My father was Samuel Crone from Lisburn, and Grandfather was also named Samuel from Lisburn! How can I help you? We are looking for my brother Allen if you can assist it would be appreciated.

Rootschat isn't a forum for tracing living people (and you aren't allowed to post details of living or possibly living people here) but there are links to hints in Help Pages which you might want to read through-
www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php#living
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline linjacarsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 28 February 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I would be really grateful to avail myself of your offer.

My father, James Edward Titterington was a member of the Orange Lodge of St Martin's East Belfast.  His brother, William John was also a member, and I believe that he may have been a secretary at one time.  We understand, that their father, James Edward Titterington b 1890 was instrumental in the setting up of St Martin's.  I would be particularly interested to know if this is true. 

As a child I remember many marches passing the top of my grandmother's street - Wolff Street along the Newtonards Road in East Belfast.  My father used to return to Belfast each year to walk on the 12th.  He was given an Orangeman's funeral in July, 1977.

I have attached a photo which shows my uncle taking the lodge back to his home in Wolff Street - for tea I believe.  I understand that St Martin's unfortunately, has ceased to exist.  The second photo is of my father walking.

I would be grateful to receive any information that you might be able to provide.  Very many thanks.

Linda

Offline drumnaferry rob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 15 March 10 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Can you look up a lodge in Co,Down?
I was told my Great Grandfather Richard Robinson was in Lower Iveagh True Blues LOL 70 in around 1890/1930s
Think its in Lower Iveagh west 8 Dis,
Also his Grandson Richard Robinson was in the same Lodge around 1940s.
And Could you find out who the first members where?

Many thanks
Kind Regards
David R

I can have a look into this for you, but don't know much about the lodge despite it being local to me. I note you have an interest in McFarland's from Derriaghy.  I have two McFarlands - John and James is a 1934 photograph of Derriaghy LOL 135 - any relation?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been offline for awhile..
I was told my GG Grandfather was in a lodge in Derryaghy, another story was he started a lodge there.
His name was Frank (Francis) McFarland and his son Henry.
Frank was born 1835 Slievenagravey, Derryaghy..
Henry was born  1865..
He had two other sons Frank (Francis) and John.. I wouldnt have a clue if there the same Family in your pic.
Robinson.  Magheralin
Armstrong. Magheralin
McConnell. Magheralin
McFarland Belfast

Offline ards g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Linda  I remember you when your family came over to belfast .your uncle billy was secretary of st martins for a long number of years.I can,t remember wether it was england or scotland you lived in.My name is gibson and my mother and your aunt gretta were friends from schooldays till departing this scene of time I had heard that st martins had become defunct but will try to get you some information. The church itself is still there. Most of the men folk in your family circle all had been W.M. at some time
Freddy
gibson {b/bridge-dromore } radcliffe [belfast-banbridge }
McCluskey & leckey {armagh }

Offline mad jock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 30 April 10 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hi fmni

Would it be possible that you could have some info about a McCaldridge / Alexander (they used both names, don't know why??) were members of the Orange Lodge both in Ballymoney Co. Antrim ( from early 1800's I believe) and Lanarkshire Scotland(from 1893 onwards we think). I have a photo of the family at an Orange Parade.

My Great Great Great Grandfather was John McCaldridge / Alexander (?1829) married to Mary Jane Wilkinson in Finvoy Church.
My Great Great Grandfather James McCaldridge / Alexander married jane rainey and then Jane Mulholland, they moved over to Scotland between 1893- 1900 and became as afar as I am aware involed with the Orange Order, in turn my great grandfather William John Alexander was also a member.

If you have any info about these people I would be grateful for it. I know it is a long shot, but It would be interesting to know more about their involvement in the lodges.

Thank you in advance

I'm afraid I haven't had any success with McCaldridge or Alexander - the details I have on Ballymoney District are quite limited though. I have taken a note of the names and area of interest and if I come across anything in the future I will let you know.

Thank you.

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi  fmni

Do you have any suggestions about the Annaloste and Lurgan Lodges?

Thanks

Sunnyhill

Hi I would like to know about lodges in Annaloiste and Lurgan, esp names Cassells, Castles, Hanna, McBride, Turkington

Thanks

David
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline Mal2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Can you help with Holywood Co Down lodge?
I was told my grandfather Hugh Whiteley may have been a founder or senior member of the Holywood Lodge. unfortunately i have no date of birth or death for him but he was alive at the time of the signing of the Ulster Covenant as his signiture can be seen on the PRONI website. I was told his name might have been on a plaque in the Lodge Hall.
Thanks anyway.

Offline lesleycs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
Fmni,

Thanks for your offer of help.

My grandfather, John Millen, was a member of the Orange order and I have a couple of his certificates.

He was Master of the Falls Road Methodist Church Defenders L.O.L. 1433 in 1955.  The other certificate is for the Imperial Grand Black chapter stating he was elected Master of Preceptory no. 610, Clifton Street, Belfast 1960-61.

I'd be very grateful if you had any information on or photographs of either of these orders.

Many thanks