Author Topic: 12th July and Orange Lodges - Help offered  (Read 73722 times)

Offline SQUID978

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 12th July and Orange Lodges - Help offered
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi fmni,

I'm trying to ID the man in this picture, it was in amongst my Father's photo's.
It looks like he was WM of the Lodge, I'm wondering if there would be a list of WM's held somewhere, you mentioned the Stitt name which was the name of my Father's step dad who lived at Roses Lane ends, problem is the photo doesn't match any others we have. Sorry if this seems a bit of a mess.

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 05 June 10 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Squid, I'll have a look into this for you.

He's wearing two sashes there, his Orange one which is more visible and showing the number LOL 68 which is indeed based in the Roses Lane Ends area in Ballinderry - I live just up the road from there myself and a number of my family originate in Ballinderry so should be able to have this man identified for you.

The other sash he is wearing is a Royal Black Preceptory sash, not sure which preceptory it is, but again if I manage to get a name for him, I should be able to establish which perceptory and what office he held.

Great photograph and hopefully will be able to give you some story behind it.

Will be in touch,
Mark
HILL - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: BANKS - Moira, Co. Down: ARMOUR - Lisburn, Co.Antrim: WALKER - Dromore, Co. Down: MAGEE - Lambeg, Co. Antrim: THOMPSON - Derriaghy/Magheragall, Co. Antrim: TITTERINGTON - Moira, Co. Down: McNEILL - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: SWAIN - Moira, Co. Down: IRVINE - CLONES, Co. Monaghan: TURNBULL - Lurgan, Co. Armagh: CARLISLE - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: MORROW, Lisburn, Co. Antrim: FORSYTHE - Magheralave, Co. Antrim: MARTIN - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: REILLY, Magheralin, Co. Down

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 07 June 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
Squid, still working on this. LOL68 moved from Ballymaclose to Roses Lane Ends in 1908.

At that time the W.M. was a Bro. John Cuddy and the D.M. was a Bro. William Bell - are either of these surnames familiar to you?
HILL - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: BANKS - Moira, Co. Down: ARMOUR - Lisburn, Co.Antrim: WALKER - Dromore, Co. Down: MAGEE - Lambeg, Co. Antrim: THOMPSON - Derriaghy/Magheragall, Co. Antrim: TITTERINGTON - Moira, Co. Down: McNEILL - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: SWAIN - Moira, Co. Down: IRVINE - CLONES, Co. Monaghan: TURNBULL - Lurgan, Co. Armagh: CARLISLE - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: MORROW, Lisburn, Co. Antrim: FORSYTHE - Magheralave, Co. Antrim: MARTIN - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: REILLY, Magheralin, Co. Down

Offline irishistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Friday 11 June 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
  Hello  fmni,please could i avail off your orange  knowledge!My great grandad,william joseph leetch came from belfast, county antrim i believe.William told his son's that he was a strong orange man and that he had to flee Northern Ireland because the IRA were after him.He has changed the spelling of Leetch,but we do not know how!conumdrum or what.William Joseph father was called Francis,and he was a timber merchant.Well that's what it said on Williams marriage cert.William came to Manchester about 1885ish.He had a son Francis William (my grandad)in 1886 but did not marry the mother till 1890.I was told that my grandad Francis William was also a strong orange man here in Manchester.Can you offer me any ideas please.
regards irishistory. :)
Antrim:Leetch(Leech)
Sligo:O'Garra
Carlisle:Bates
Macclesfield:Moores
Tipperary:Eagan(egan)
Willington:Nixon
Congleton:Dale

Offline SQUID978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 12 June 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
Squid, still working on this. LOL68 moved from Ballymaclose to Roses Lane Ends in 1908.

At that time the W.M. was a Bro. John Cuddy and the D.M. was a Bro. William Bell - are either of these surnames familiar to you?

Hi Mark, these names don't mean anything to me unfortunately. The other sash is a Black 357 which I think may be Ahgalee? The only name around that area that I would be linked with would be Edward Stitt who married my Grandmother Georgie Armstrong, I hail from Ballymacash.

Offline bugguard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Friday 23 July 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
thanks for the kind offer.  I have 2 relatives who were in the order - my Grandfather Andrew Chambers, (had a shop in Sandy Row) and passed away 7/1/1959 - he also had a son Tommy Chambers - not sure of dates but about 1980.  Any info much appreciated

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Friday 23 July 10 13:55 BST (UK) »

Hi Mark, these names don't mean anything to me unfortunately. The other sash is a Black 357 which I think may be Ahgalee? The only name around that area that I would be linked with would be Edward Stitt who married my Grandmother Georgie Armstrong, I hail from Ballymacash.

Just an update on this, I had an opportunity recently to show the picture to a prominent member of Ballinderry District. They are of the opinion it is a relation of a 'John Armstrong' who was originally from the Ballinderry area and moved to Ballymacash, either John himself or John's father perhaps? I am still waiting on a list of Past Masters to try and tie this connection down. What relation is John to yourself?

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Friday 23 July 10 18:53 BST (UK) »
thanks for the kind offer.  I have 2 relatives who were in the order - my Grandfather Andrew Chambers, (had a shop in Sandy Row) and passed away 7/1/1959 - he also had a son Tommy Chambers - not sure of dates but about 1980.  Any info much appreciated

Hi there, I've made some initial inquiries but some additional info may be helpful in making sure I've got the right family. Do you know what sort of shop the Chambers had on Sandy Row and whereabouts it was?

Also do you know any addresses the family lived at? Sandy Row District has an impressive archive of past members including trade and address but not digitised and limited access to the public.

Speaking with one of their District Officers, he remembers a Tommy Chambers in the District who would have died around 1980, do you know if your Tommy was a steeplejack?  This one apparently was very impressive at building the Arches in Sandy Row, even in his 60s and was a member of LOL 410, St. Thomas's Temperance.

Offline bugguard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Friday 23 July 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
The shop was the Perfect Dairy in Sandy Row, his wife Margaret would help out in the shop.  I believe Tommy worked for the Corporation.  I have a pic of Tommy with his wife Mabel and kids.