Author Topic: 12th July and Orange Lodges - Help offered  (Read 73719 times)

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 12th July and Orange Lodges - Help offered
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
thank you for reply - mine was just a longshot, I really question whether he was a member at all.  This is a bit of a cheek but I notice you are searching for ancestors in Lambeg, the named Henry Longmore Chapman was born in Lambeg. I am trying to find his baptism but the Church at Lambeg said they have no records there for 1845 and Proni say the records are at the church!! Have you been able to find the records anywhere? I have come against a brick wall
Pat

Will keep an eye out for the name - It should stand out for me as my partner's surname is Chapman and have been researching her family from the Lisburn area for a while as well - predominately based around the Longstone Street area. I see your Henry Chapman is listed on the LDS listings as father is John and mother is Mary Harper but you've probably got that info long a go!
HILL - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: BANKS - Moira, Co. Down: ARMOUR - Lisburn, Co.Antrim: WALKER - Dromore, Co. Down: MAGEE - Lambeg, Co. Antrim: THOMPSON - Derriaghy/Magheragall, Co. Antrim: TITTERINGTON - Moira, Co. Down: McNEILL - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: SWAIN - Moira, Co. Down: IRVINE - CLONES, Co. Monaghan: TURNBULL - Lurgan, Co. Armagh: CARLISLE - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: MORROW, Lisburn, Co. Antrim: FORSYTHE - Magheralave, Co. Antrim: MARTIN - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: REILLY, Magheralin, Co. Down

Offline Kate Cunningham

• I am sorry but my email and website are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • l-r Kerry, Darrel, Mum, Me, Tony, Dad circa 1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 12:37 BST (UK) »
fmni,

Thanks for clarifying everything. My husband may have thought the number was 101 but it seems more likely to be as you have stated 252. Memory isn't what it used to be  ::) I know it was definitely the Creve/Crieve Lodge, and they probably had connections with the Benagh Lodge as well.

Does Crieve LOL 252 still exist or is it defunct?

Yes, I did read the rider about the information on his site not being used for Family History purposes but then I saw the image with all those names and thought that it might be an untapped resource....ah well dreams are still free.

This will be something for me to put on my to-do list for our visit to Newry, hopefully in 2010/2011. My husband still has family in the area but they are hopeless when it comes to family history. They think I'm strange for wanting to know about all those dead people.  ;D :D

Kate
HENDERSON-Newcastle NSW. Cumberland & Durham England
HEPPLE-Durham & Northumberland England
PARSONS-Suffolk England
FORBY-Norfolk England
GILL-Norfolk England, Newcastle NSW
WELLARD-Kent England, NSW Australia
GOUGH-London & Wilts England
DIEZEL-Westfalen Germany
CUNNINGHAM-Newry N. Ireland & NY City USA
MCMINN-Newry N. Ireland
MCCULLOUGH-Benagh N.Ireland
Any connections with the above names welcome

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 12:43 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't let that put you off - I have the same problems - especially with my partner's grandparents who are still alive at 90 - their knowledge is a godsend to family researchers yet it can be testing at times - always questioning why I want to know!  ::)

Crieve LOL 252 does still exist and is a working lodge as far as I know - unfortunately I don't know anyone in Newry district to ask any further info but if I do come across any you'll be the first to know!

HILL - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: BANKS - Moira, Co. Down: ARMOUR - Lisburn, Co.Antrim: WALKER - Dromore, Co. Down: MAGEE - Lambeg, Co. Antrim: THOMPSON - Derriaghy/Magheragall, Co. Antrim: TITTERINGTON - Moira, Co. Down: McNEILL - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: SWAIN - Moira, Co. Down: IRVINE - CLONES, Co. Monaghan: TURNBULL - Lurgan, Co. Armagh: CARLISLE - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: MORROW, Lisburn, Co. Antrim: FORSYTHE - Magheralave, Co. Antrim: MARTIN - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: REILLY, Magheralin, Co. Down

Offline noseyoap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 19 June 09 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for that, I have seen the LDS record and notice there a few brothers & sisters. According to my mother there was 17 in total and he was the youngest but I not sure if this was a myth. I would really like to see a record of his birth/christening as my mother is convinced he was born a lot later than 1845. There is a lot of mystery around this side of the family and as my mother was the baby of the family (her older brother being 20 years older) they convinced of all sorts of tales to cover up certain things, I think her father was actually 75 years old when she was born! So If you do come up with anything I would be eternally grateful
Pat
Chapman - Antrim/Liverpool
Harde - Swansea
Lewis - Glamorgan
Eley - Lincolnshire
Guntrip - Acton

Offline lauran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 14:06 BST (UK) »
                                        l.o.l 68
hi, could any one help me get in touch with the above lodge as far as we know is ballinderry. as we found a photo of one of our ancestors wearing the sash also he was wearing the black sash no 357 which we think is agahlee. we would like to see if they have any info that could help us. we think the man may be g.g.grand dad thomas maxwellor g.grand dad armstrong.   

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 14:40 BST (UK) »
L.O.L. 68   is still a very active lodge in Ballinderry District called Roses Lane Ends Temperance.

The lodge was originally known as Ballymaclose L.O.L. 68 and met in Ballymaclose Orange Hall that  unfortunately no longer exists. This lodge amalgamated with Ballinderry Peace and Plenty L.O.L. 143 around 1908. A number of lodge members are listed in the book "The Faithful & The True: A History of Orangeism in County Antrim", surnames including Cuddy, Bell, Yarr, Johnson, Stitt and Clenaghan. Unfortuantely no mention of Armstrongs or Maxwells.

I will try and make contact with the current secretary of the lodge and get back to you as soon as possible - to improve the chance of coming across any information, what was your G.Grandfather and G.G.Grandfather's rough birth year and death year?

Offline lauran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 14:48 BST (UK) »
l.o.l 68
no date for g.g.grand dad maxwell but died on the 23 oct 1901,g.grand armstrong born on the 22 mar 1862 died 24 jan 1947 in lagan view knocknadona. thanks for the help

Offline HistoryTeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
Dear fmni,

I have an old photograph (prob early 1900s) of my Grandfather in an Orange Lodge outside a church (poss east Belfast) with their banner.  The inscription at the top of the banner reads - 'ROE MEMORIAL TOTAL ABSTINENCE LOL 938'. The inscription at the bottom reads - 'REV. T.W. ROE LL. D. R.D.'

It might help me identify the actual location of the photograph if you could please tell me something about the lodge. e.g. When was it formed? Does it still exist? Who was the Rev TW Roe? Where was the Lodge based?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 23:09 BST (UK) »
Rev Thomas Wellesley Roe was Rector of St Patrick's Parish (Ballymacarrett) from 1857 to 1889 (although the Parish Church was called Christchurch at that time!).  This is on the Newtownards Rd in East Belfast and could be the church in the picture - check out the website below

http://www.downanddromore.org/ballymacarrett/