Author Topic: Marriage of Samuel SABEY to Elizabeth  (Read 4756 times)

Offline Lynn S

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Samuel SABEY to Elizabeth
« on: Sunday 02 November 08 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Here's hoping someone may be able to help with the maiden name of this Elizabeth.
Samuel was born 1793 at Bolnhurst & married twice. His first wife was Elizabeth & they had 4 children before she died which I think was sometime between 1825 & 1833.
First child was Boaz Sabey born 1818 at Keysoe & last child was Rebecca born 1825.
Samuel then marries Mary Gillet & they have a son John Francis christened 21/10/1832.
Samuel was the son of Francis Sabey & Charlotte White.
Thanks Lynn

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Samuel Sabey to Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 November 08 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynn; 

Just for the record Boaz Sabey married Louisa Lugsden in 1849 at Little Staughton. Their son Joseph married a Rose Ann Partridge at Eaton Socon in 1881, she was grand-daughter to my gt-gt-grandfather's brother.

regareds John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 November 08 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I have these Sabeys in my database, being connected to my Southill and Henlow Sabey branches.

Because they were not too punctual about baptising their children I don't think Boaz was their eldest. More likely Naomi, who according to censuses was born 1815/16, which puts back the marriage by two or three years. But notwithstanding that, I haven't traced the marriage to Elizabeth (although I haven't looked very hard as these later Bolnhurst Sabeys are pretty peripheral on my tree)

As Samuel married Mary Dickins on 23 Mar 1829 (although this is an IGI member submission so is not reliable) presumably Elizabeth had died by then, but again I haven't been able to find her burial. It wasn't in Keysoe. Was Mary Dickens a widow, as you call her Mary Gillet?

But going back to your question I still haven't found the marriage - it wasn't in Hunts, and it's not on the IGI or BVRI in Beds, but one or two post 1812 parishes in North Beds aren't on the IGI or BVRI. It's possible that it could have been in Northants -  a request on the Northants board for a lookup in the Marriage Index might get  a result.

Have you found anything concrete about Francis, who's the real mystery, being non-conformist

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Lynn S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for the info re Boaz. I had his wife as a Louisa so good to have her surname.

regards Lynn

Offline Lynn S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 November 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
Thanks for your reply. I made a mistake with Samuels' 2nd wifes' surname, it is Dickens!! Mary Gillett was the wife of Samuel's son John.
On looking through my notes I can see that I have baptism for Naomi on 19/7/1818 Keysoe & Boaz 14/8/1825. When Boaz married Louisa in 1849 it says on Ancestry marriage database that he is 30 & Louisa is 21. So I am not sure who is the elder of the two, but I think as they seem to leave a couple of years between birth & baptism most likely to be Naomi.
With regards to my 4xgt-grandfather Francis Sabey, I have got his baptism from a contact in America who kindly sent me copies of registers he viewed at Salt Lake City.
Francis was baptised 15/11/1790 at Bolnhurst & it states aged about 30 years. On his death entry burial was 30/12/1833 aged 67 years. Marriage entry says both Francis & wife Charlotte OTP.
I am trying to work out family christian names to see if I can go backwards with Francis. My line comes from daughter Dinah 1791,other siblings that I know of Samuel 1793, Thomas 1796, William 1796 & Ann 1802.
Will try Northants board for possible marriage.
Regards Lynn

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 November 08 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn

Naomi's implied birth year taken from censuses is 1815/16, and Ruth also seems to have been older than Boaz, with her birth between 1814-18. She got younger as she got older - she started off as 38 in 1851, 46 in 1861, then 52 in 1871.

I have my suspicions as to who was Francis' father - there was only one Sabey in Bolnhurst at the right time - Joseph baptised 3 Aug 1726 at Colmworth, and who married three times in Bolnhurst, each time to an Elizabeth (which confused me more than a little bit to start with!), but who only baptised two children there by his first wife, in 1752 and 1770. But I can't prove anything. JohnP and I had a thread going a year ago at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,259235.0.html when John very kindly checked out all the Bolnhurst entries

I tried going backwards to see if I could trace a naming pattern through the name Francis, but without success

Regards

David

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynn & good morning David

Going through my notes made sometime back.

Keysoe PR - baptisms of children to Samuel & Elizabeth Sabey of Keysoe Row
19 July 1818  Ruth at age 1 & Naomi at age 3 or 4
14 Aug 1825  Boaz age 6 & Rebecca (no age)

So children in order of appearance, Naomi 1815, Ruth 1817, Boaz 1818 & Rebecca 1825

As to the first 2 children of Francis & Charlotte; the Bedford library has a register of non-conformist's baptisms & burials, which includes Little Staughton Baptist Church. We have Dinah Sabey 14/02/1792 & Samuel Sabey 01/02/1793, both at Bolnhurst.  BUT I'm not now sure if these were the birth dates or christening dates, or if Bolnhurst was were they were born or were living at the time.

regards John

Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that John.

The Dinah and Samuel dates are shown on the IGI as births, which makes sense as Baptists don't do infant baptisms. My interpretation was that Francis and Charlotte were living at Bolnhurst when their children were born, and the births were noted in Lt Staughton Baptist Church Book.

All the best

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sabeys in Bolnhurst c1760
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 August 10 10:05 BST (UK) »
Contrary to what I posted earlier in this thread, there were two Sabey families in Bolnhurst around 1760:

Joseph Sabey who married three Elizabeths, the first one being Elizabeth Hall whom he married in 1751, she dying in 1769. They only baptised one child, William in 1752.
 John Sabey who may have been the John Sabey who married Elizabeth Hull in Wilden in 1741 and who had children in Bolnhurst from 1742 onwards, none of them baptised in the established church. Some  births of children of John Saby are recorded at the back of the parish register as being children of dissenters. In 1750 he is recorded as having eight people in the family, but this could have included servants. John left a will dated 1777 wherein he names children William, Sarah and James. No mention of a Francis. Being non-conformist and marrying in Wilden there's no trace of him in Bolnhurst on the IGI so he's easily missed.

I therefore think that Francis Sabey was probably the son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Hall) Sabey, but I doubt that I’ll ever be able to prove it. It’s down to the balance of probabilities.

Lynn, did you ever find Samuel's first marriage?

David