Author Topic: KELLEHER, Ellen (Emu Bay Tas) (Also known as Ellen Hutton)  (Read 26870 times)

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grandmother, Myrtle Isabel
    • View Profile
Re: Kelleher, Ellen (Emu Bay Tas)
« Reply #63 on: Friday 19 December 08 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sue,
Sorry.....it certainly was 1903......wouldn't be surprised if Hilda took him to Corowa, but if she was born and raised in Corowa, had three children there with another man.......how did she entice a Tasmanian? Can't see her travelling to the wilds of Waratah for a holiday...it was a mining town, nor can I see him and 3 kids doing a trip to Corowa for a holiday either (pretty as it is)............and if Ellen was in hospital from 1891 then he would have needed child care from then, and Hilda had her last child with John Rees in 1898 whereas the family story/myth I am now looking at is that John and the kids were in Corowa around 1895 ish.......maybe it was another woman and it didn't work out......would like to put him definitely in either Corowa or Waratah in 1895-1898, so then we know if Ellen's 4th child was his (she registered him as the father)........and here I was thinking it was my generation of baby boomers who make such messes of their lives!

Cheers
Susie
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Hutton : Edinburgh, Scotland
Downey : England
Ingram: St George East, Middlesex and New Zealand
Roberts : Grafton, NSW
Blackadder : Grafton, NSW
Gillett : Grafton, NSW
Brocklebank :Carkettle, Lancashire
Bowes : Ulverston, Lancashire
Rose : Bo'ness, Linlithgowshire, Scotland
Kelleher:County Cork, Ireland
Shepherd : Helpringham, Lincolnshire

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 03:59 GMT (UK) »
The plot thickens.....just got a copy of John Hutton (Ellen's husband) obit.

It states that "In 1895 he sought fresh fields and ventured into NSW and entered business in the quaint old Murray River township of Corowa." If this is true, then he cannot be the father of Ellen's child born in 1898 after her release from Royal Derwent Asylum.

However, the obit also states that his father was made a school teacher, and as yet I have seen nothing to substantiate this claim (although who knows with this family).

If his claim is true.....then Hilda Mary was not the reason for moving to Corowa.

Did he pop back and visit Ellen and Frederick is the result......how did he know he was a widower......more and more questions arise!

Merry Christmas
Susie ;D :D ;D

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 02 January 09 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Have just had the following reply from the Tas State Archives
"have checked the Pioneers Index, Federation Index, Colonial Links Database, the Newspaper Index and the Inquests Index for the record of Ellen Hutton's death and/or a coroners report, however unfortunately there is no mention of her death"

So I guess that rules out Tasmania!

Cheers
Susie :(

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Just to add some further information to Ellen.  I've found possibly three more children born to Ellen and listed under the name of Hutton.

1.  James Hutton  born 18/8/1903 at Highfield    Father:   N/S - Mother:  Ellen Hutton nee Keleher.

2.  Adeline Hutton  born 12/10/1905 -Forest   Father:  N/s  Mother:  Ellen Hutton nee Keleher.

3. Reginald  born 20/11/1907 -  Marrawah -Father  N/S  - Mother:  Ellen Hutton.

There were no deaths for an Ellen Hutton/and or Keleher in the Advocate Newspaper and the Zeehan and Dundas Newspapers and the Launceston papers (or any of the children as well)  (I checked this morning when I went to the library!). 

There is no mention of any Ellen (or children) in the TAMIOT microfiche(Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions of Tasmania).  I have also checked the Undertakers Records, Queenborough Cemetery Records, Cornelian Bay Cemetery Records, Mercury Newspaper records (up to 1930) and anything else I have.....which I might add are Southern Tasmania only. 

Perhaps Ellen had taken the latter children's father's name?????  So unless there's a death notice of her parents or siblings actually naming the family (and hopefully with Ellen's name!)

Also with her having the last child Reginald at Marrawah.......that's quite a long way from anywhere (although it's a good surfing spot ). 

Sorry, can't help more.

Webby

Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 06:32 GMT (UK) »
 Webby,

I see you found Susie`s post. ;D Thankyou so much for helping out with the search of Ellen. I have tried finding her but had no luck.
More children to Ellen Hutton :o :o This is interesting.

Marrawah would have been a one horse town back in those days. I lived there for about twelve months until my father passed away.

Johngirl

edit ;D I spelt Marrawah wrongly. I did live there but was only just over twelve months old at the time so forgive me for not spelling it correctly. ;D

JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Just to add some further information to Ellen.  I've found possibly three more children born to Ellen and listed under the name of Hutton.

1.  James Hutton  born 18/8/1903 at Highfield    Father:   N/S - Mother:  Ellen Hutton nee Keleher.

2.  Adeline Hutton  born 12/10/1905 -Forest   Father:  N/s  Mother:  Ellen Hutton nee Keleher.

3. Reginald  born 20/11/1907 -  Marrawah -Father  N/S  - Mother:  Ellen Hutton.

There were no deaths for an Ellen Hutton/and or Keleher in the Advocate Newspaper and the Zeehan and Dundas Newspapers and the Launceston papers (or any of the children as well)  (I checked this morning when I went to the library!). 

There is no mention of any Ellen (or children) in the TAMIOT microfiche(Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions of Tasmania).  I have also checked the Undertakers Records, Queenborough Cemetery Records, Cornelian Bay Cemetery Records, Mercury Newspaper records (up to 1930) and anything else I have.....which I might add are Southern Tasmania only. 

Perhaps Ellen had taken the latter children's father's name?????  So unless there's a death notice of her parents or siblings actually naming the family (and hopefully with Ellen's name!)

Also with her having the last child Reginald at Marrawah.......that's quite a long way from anywhere (although it's a good surfing spot ). 

Sorry, can't help more.

Webby

Dear Webby,
I am overjoyed.....totally! ;D ;D ;D

Many thanks for searching her out........Marrawah is a long way from anywhere indeed. Thank you for checking at the library and all of your files......I am overwhelmed by the help and interest people have shown in trying to locate "my Ellen".

Again,
Many thanks
Susie ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,
Well, along with Webby's amazing discovery yesterday of three additional children for Ellen, I also received in the post yesterday some information about Ellen's husband John Thomas Hutton and his whereabouts when she was released from the hospital in 1898.......he had already set up shop in Corowa (a barber and tobaccanist shop in fact). This would mean that Ellen's fourth child Frederick was not John Thomas' even though his name is one the certificate. Can I say that the service from the Corowa Federation Museum was superb....and they were interested in finding out more. The $20 research fee was well spent.

So...where does this leave us....I will start a new thread based on Ellen's children and hope we can locate them, but I would like Ellen's thread to stay alive until we can locate her death.....I live in hope!

An Ellen Hutton has been located in several census' living in Easey Street Collingwood.........but not sure yet if this is her as she has none of the kids with her.

I have also had a PM saying that another Rootschatter's relative married well before a former patient of the Royal Derwent Hospital was in fact dead.......so maybe John Thomas Hutton was a bigamist and my assumed dates for Ellen's death has been wrong.

Cheers
Susie

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 23:14 GMT (UK) »
An Ellen Hutton has been located in several census' living in Easey Street Collingwood.........

Census?  perhaps electoral rolls.

I  wonder  if Frederick  went into care is it possible  the other chldren did as some point.

I  have  checked Victoria deaths and no  sign of  them  The  Fathers  name could be totally different but  the mothers name would be  the same unless they  were adopted out.

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 15 January 09 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help where I can...I just love a mystery!.

I also have a situation whereby one of my ancestors was unfortunately admitted to Royal Derwent by her husband and left there (from 1916 I think)until her death in 1944.....he had remarried in South Australia in 1926 and stated that he was a 'widower'.

Not only did he remarry, he seems to have forgotten his children from this marriage as well!.  I do know that he did take the two daughters from Tasmania (then left them in an orphanage in Melbourne!!)...but as to his sons, I'm assuming family members took them in.

Webby

Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset