Author Topic: GenesReunited  (Read 54437 times)

Offline missjo123

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
GenesReunited
« on: Monday 26 April 04 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hiya

I was wondering if anyone had found the site genesconnected of any use to them.   Ive looked at it now about 5 times and am wondering if its worth signing up for, i know its only cheap for the year,  but wondering if that money is worth going towards something else to help me in my research.

Many thanks

Josie
JOSIE XX

blood, hooper, fraser/frazer, wickham

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re: GenesReunited
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 April 04 15:58 BST (UK) »
I found two second cousins which was very exciting.  Many people have found relatives.  It has not helped me get back any further though.

Depends what you want really.  Might be worth waiting until you see someone you recognise but as you say it is very cheap.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline ali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 April 04 16:18 BST (UK) »
I have found the site invaluable.  I found my fathers cousin who has been researching the tree for three years and had taken the Woodman line back to approx 1590.

Together we have also found a few other cousins who have added their details to the tree.
Searching for

Woodman (Frocester, Great Rissington, Slimbridge, Aston, Birmingham, Bedford, St Albans)
Phillips (Aston, Birmingham)
Crow (King's Lynn, Hull, East Ham)
Gillett (Moreton in Marsh, East Ham)
Jellyman (Coaley, Birmingham Anywhere in Worcestershire or Staffordshire)
Hopkins (Ashleworth, Westbury on Severn)
Curtis (Gloucester, Aston, Birmingham)
Drinkwater (Castle Moreton, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire)
Jackson (Essex)

Plus many more

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 April 04 16:28 BST (UK) »
I'm on it, I've had lots of emails but no finds as yet.  I've made contact with 3 distant cousins all found with a trusty Google and the fantastic Rootsweb.

A wee tip I worked out for genesconnected, if you hover over a name possibly in your tree it gives you a member ID (at the bottom), if you find another possible for your tree and hover over that and it is the same member ID then I'd pay the £5 to contact a fellow cousin.

:'( I haven't found anyone yet :'(

Pam

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 April 04 16:40 BST (UK) »
I would say that there are sites other than GC where you can post your tree for free, and Rootschat for free where you can get lookups. What extra are you going to get out of GC for your 7.50?

I freely admit to bias. I came to Rootschat after I had been a member of Genesconnected for over two years. My ability to post there as a fee-free member was withdrawn overnight, without warning and without any notification or explanation being put on the site.

GC's customer care *was* abysmal (Making changes without warning, making their members pay for a new year after only 11 months' membership, member-to-member messages not being delivered, site crashes)

I would have to say that I have seen a faster turnaround of queries on here that I did on Genes, and a far greater willingness to bash away at brick walls/answer the simplest question. The moderators on here seem to see it as their job to make sure that no-one is left without a response to their query. Any moderation on Genesconnected seemed to be removing messages with f-words and anything with a web addresses.

I could not for example, have posted a list of useful sites for anyone to pursue, as GC removed any sting with a .uk or .com or an '@'.

I've finished slagging them off now. I'll be back at my census name indexing tomorrow.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 April 04 16:53 BST (UK) »
I do have to agree with Pauline that Genesconnected, although I found it invaluable for that one family line, is not really up to much when compared with other sites like this.

I guess the main thing with sites like this though is that the owner and moderators have the same interests as us posters, i.e searching for their family history.

One of my main bugbears with genesconnected is simply that you don't always get a reply from people you email, even if it is a simple 'sorry' and it then makes me wonder why on earth people even bother posting their trees if they aren't interested in furthering their research by replying to queries.

I have to say that thanks to this site here I have been able to break down two major brick walls and the links are amazing.
Searching for

Woodman (Frocester, Great Rissington, Slimbridge, Aston, Birmingham, Bedford, St Albans)
Phillips (Aston, Birmingham)
Crow (King's Lynn, Hull, East Ham)
Gillett (Moreton in Marsh, East Ham)
Jellyman (Coaley, Birmingham Anywhere in Worcestershire or Staffordshire)
Hopkins (Ashleworth, Westbury on Severn)
Curtis (Gloucester, Aston, Birmingham)
Drinkwater (Castle Moreton, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire)
Jackson (Essex)

Plus many more

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 April 04 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi All
       It seems to be about 5 nil to us at the moment.
Over the years I have tried most sites and found non that suits me or works better or more consistant than this one.
Compared to others Rootschat has only a small membership but is still able to find answers for most quieres even though it is sometime  a 'sorry'.

Having said all that I would not knock anyone for trying and Genes and sister site Friendsreunited do have a lot of 'names', however having to pay £7.50 just to see them is a bit steep.
Well thats me done
6 nil

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 April 04 19:07 BST (UK) »
I have to agree also.I have a friend at work who has been toying with the idea of doing his family tree for a while but was a bit put off with all the fee paying sites and the none fee paying sites.I have been doing my tree now for 3 years and told him i have had more help from this site Rootschat than any other site i have been on.I cant praise Rootschat enough everyone is marvelous and i am so pleased i found them.I might just add that he has joined Rootschat and is well impressed.So as far as i am concerned who needs to pay for anything when rootschat is doing such a good job.Thankyou Rootschat.Anne. ;)
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 April 04 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I found Genesconnected a total waste of web space.

I get umpteen queries from people who have the same surname as one of my distant long lost ancestors back in the 1600 or 1700, and their first comment is usually, "I think we may be related" even though my ancestor was in  Cheshire and theirs was in Devon.

Do they not stop to think that the furthest anybody went in those dark distant days was usually the next village.

As I said before A TOTAL WASTE of MY TIME and their WEB SPACE.

Chris in 1066Land

and that was before Rootschat ever came along!!

On here I have made some very good friends, done lots of lookups and research for others as my postings show - but have received some invaluable help in return towards furthering my own research from other's on rootschat.
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www