Author Topic: GenesReunited  (Read 54440 times)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: GenesReunited
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 April 04 23:22 BST (UK) »
I think you can still get some use out of GC without paying, I've found some pointers, nothing concrete, concentrations of names etc.  There are some good researchers on there - I have to agree on the service side though, shoddy.

Hayho.  Rootschat is great, I wouldn't spend so much time here otherwise!!  I still use Rootsweb a lot as well.  The Cumberland list in particular is fantastic, it isn't so strictly run as others where you get constantly shouted at by Admin!!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 April 04 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I used GC for a while,  without the signup,  and I found nothing to help me.  Than I found this site.  Need I say more?

I occaisionally revisit GC but staill have not found anything to further my research while I have received invaluable help from Rootschat,  and made some good friends.  You know who you are. ;)

We should remember that Rootschat is still relatively (no pun intended  :D) small,  the bigger it gets the more help we will all benefit from.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 April 04 00:50 BST (UK) »
i've had quite a bit of sucess on gennesconnected but have to agree with others that i get cheesed off with the "HappyGenesConnected error '800a9c68' "messages and also the fact that people just dont bother to reply. makes me wonder if my messages are actually getting through.
i always make a point of replying whenever i get a query.
Also of course, another annoyance is,when you get to share / view a tree the time it takes to load ::)

Basically, the idea of the site is good,tho [incidently the site is down again tonight >:(

talking of moderators and posts,does anyone visit http://www.policeorders.co.uk/ ? now that site has gone downhill of late, totally unmoderated.shame, cos it used to be a good site.
jaq

Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
  • Can't stop until I know everything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 April 04 14:25 BST (UK) »
I had never heard of it until I read this thread but I had a look.  I found a name that could be my 'missing' uncle.  I only have a name, place of birth and approximate dob (birth wasn't registered) but the person on GC fits everything that I have.

I have registered because the fee will be well worth it if it's the right person.  If I don't get a reply then I'll be very disappointed
Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 April 04 22:03 BST (UK) »
I joined GC last year when I began to look into our family history.  I hardly knew how to turn on the computor let alone embark on research.
So I have to say as a real beginner I found it very usefull.  However like any site it is only as good as it's members and I think it peaked around Christmas time.  Since then it has taken a downturn.

I have to agree with Pauline the overnight dumping of the non paying members was a disgrace, they lost a lot of very helpfull people.  I e.mailed them to tell them my views and got their standard reply.

Now that I have found RootsChat I am considering whether to renew my membership, after all it's the cost of another certificate.

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline David Brown

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 August 04 13:28 BST (UK) »
 ;D
Hi,
Its been very useful for me. Have found others researching their trees and have been able to get information going back to 1773 from another distant family member.

Worthwhile!

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 August 04 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Welcome to Rootschat - glad you brought this thread back to life.  I was contacted by a cousin just last week through GC we have the same 5xggrandparents.  It's great fun when that happpens.  We are on the same conundrum. 

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 August 04 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I only became a paying member of GC about a month ago, and if I'd found Rootschat earlier, I wouldn't have bothered ;) I've got nothing particular against GC - I've found a lot of useful info on there to help me get started - but this site is far better, in the way everything's organised, so you can look for specific advice, rather than just picking it up by being lucky enough to read the right threads. I was contacted by three distant cousins through GC before I paid to join, and the only thing that would make me stay a paying member at the end of the year, is that the "improvements" GC have made, means it can now be very difficult for a free member to have any contact with a paying one. That said, I've been spending far more time here than on GC since I found you all, so maybe I won't miss GC too much anyway! I think this site is fantastic  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 August 04 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Silvilocks

Welcome to Rootschat

Thanks for all those compliments - the members on here are a great bunch of Lads and Lasses.

The sooner you post your interests, the sooner we can all start looking for you

I can see them all now, twitching fingers at the ready on their mouse ;D

Nice to have you with us

Chris in 1066Land
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www