Author Topic: RC Church at Crosslands  (Read 3090 times)

Offline lethal_aussie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RC Church at Crosslands
« on: Tuesday 04 November 08 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
a couple of years ago, I visited a RC church in an area that I was told by a local was Crosslands and it was not all that far from Kilrea & Garvah.
The church was out on its own ie no surrounding town but some local farms quite close, appeared to be built with blue stone blocks, slate roof, square belltower with single window on each face (photo is from road looking from entry gate)
Can anyone help with name?
O'Connell, (ireland & Scotland) Gribben, (Ireland), Cassidy (Ireland), Martin (Ireland)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RC Church at Crosslands
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 08:17 GMT (UK) »
If you look at this site (below) the map shows Crossland (there's no 's' in it) north of Swatragh and the chapel is just south of Swatragh. Does this look like the right one?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/04oi/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Could it be Craigavole Chapel?
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/741063

it's more 'out in the countryside', etc. The townland of Craigavole is just west of Crossland

P.S. welcome to Rootschat

Offline lethal_aussie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 09:33 GMT (UK) »
hi & thank you for the welcome. - as always, long story but basically my ggf John O'Connell married Sarah Cassidy in St Marys, Drumagarner in 1866. Whilst visiting Ireland in 2006 we met a warden? of St Marys Drumagarner who offered to take us to John & sarah's home church after marrying- Crossland. In the excitement of the history lesson we received whilst going there, I didnt take a lot of notice of directions other that we travelled back past St Marys from Kilrea & turned right.
That said, the 2nd link you supplied with the photo hit the mark as it is the same church without a doubt and photo matches almost exactly one of the photos I took at the time.
(this same gentleman also took us on to St Mary's, Garvah where Sarah was christened. The warden at that church was a Hugh O'Connell but alas, no relation!)
The Crosslands/Craigavole church did not from memory, have a board at the front but a google search indicates a possible name of St Johns or another St Marys so will now follow that up.

Thank you for your time & effort!
O'Connell, (ireland & Scotland) Gribben, (Ireland), Cassidy (Ireland), Martin (Ireland)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Craigavole is St. Mary's. Glad that mystery's sorted out.