Author Topic: Repington Connections with Canada  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Stephee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Repington Connections with Canada
« on: Tuesday 04 November 08 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Over the Waters, I am trying to locate the name Repington in Canada, I am especially interested in anyone who might have had a connection with a James Repington, Cattle Dealer, living at 131 Ina House, Tredegar Road, Bow. I'm very interested to trace another James Repington 28   who travelled to the United Kingdom in 1915 and gave the same address as Tredegar Road. Although my great great Grandfather of the same name died in early 1915 at the grand old age of 90. I think his son George James Repington may have emigrated to Canada sometime around 1902. Any help? Cheers from Malta, G.C. :) :)
Moore, Evans,Repington,Herbert, and Davies

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Repington Connections with Canada
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 13:12 GMT (UK) »
1911 Canadian census (free) at www.automatedgenealogy.com.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephee,

There is one border crossing entry for George J. Repington, Nov 1916. age 56, born about 1860 in England. Is this the right one?

Lisa

Offline Stephee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Gosh Lisa, Many thanks for that, it does if it indicates birth in London. I have him on a return voyage from Liverpool to Montreal, Canada in 1916. This is my first venture trying to trace family connections in Canada so slightly inexperienced in that department. He was born in 1860 in Bow ,London. My thanks, Stephen :)

Offline Stephee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa, Again, Does it give an address in Canada?

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephee,

It says his last permanent address is Vancouver, British Columbia. Would you like to see it? If so pm me your e-mail address & I'll send it.

Lisa

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 21:44 GMT (UK) »
as you may have already seen...A john W. Rippington born England 1844/45 is in B.C. on the 1901 & 1911...a farmer, (in Manitoba on the 1881)  He immigrated around 1865 He is the only one with a surname close to yours, so he may be related, and may have been the reason for the son George James  travelled to B.C....
born March Q.1847
John Walter Rippington 
Kensington  vol.3  p.327
Also a Sidney Thomas Rippington born London signed up for the CEF in Vancouver B.C...1916.
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc015/603403a.gif
Births 1883
Sidney Thomas Rippington
St.Geo.H.Sq. v.1a p.492
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline vicdru

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Was doing research on the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles and ran across a George James Repington - the dates coincide with the GJP already listed here.  George was born in 1860 and died in 1917 and is interred in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles, Garden of Beginnings section.  I hope this is of some help in your research.

Online Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 22:31 GMT (UK) »
The following corresponds with the immigration information given on page 2 of the George J. Repington's border crossing document referred to by Lisa:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Here's a link to the image at Library and Archives Canada (line 25):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e148/e003686503.jpg
Note: The image at Ancestry seems easier to read. If you would like me to email it to you please PM your email address.

The border crossing document seems to have tied everything together nicely since it indicates he was aboard the Grampian in Mar 1911 and was heading to Los Angeles. This doesn't happen too often, does it.   8)

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz