Author Topic: South Newsham, Blyth  (Read 49828 times)

Offline geeb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Newsham, Blyth
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 16:04 GMT (UK) »
The only names  can remember living at railway cottages were: Mason / Smith / Wallace and Rose.

What era did your father work at Newsham Station? I have vivid memories of the old station master who used to chase us off the railways. I lived opposite the station in seaton avenue.

My brother in laws is an Aspin.

Offline Brian WA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Lots of info on Newsham station on the 'Disused Stations' website.
See:-
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/newsham/index.shtml

Brian

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Brian WA,Where you have dug out that link, and even found it, you deserve the fullest of marks. ? I have had a quick scrutinity of it, and it has brought back many memories, the old tickets;photos of the station; the old trains(engines); and even the time-tables;etc.etc.  You mention staff names, and I have posted in Roots before, about the gateman at Newsham level crossing - 'Tiny' Miller.
Thanks for that post for bringing back and refreshing even some more memories.
I will spend tomorrow loading it up again and having a good read of everything.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm going back about 1913 long before your time my dad went to school there and it was my granda who worked on the railway moving to Berwick in the 20's on the railway there they then moved down to Heaton where he worked at Manors station Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Kenaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Friday 26 November 21 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully a map of South Newsham should appear here; please excuse unproffessional use of sticky tape but i did make it a long time ago ;D

I am researching the area of the two Tilery Cottages in a hope to pinpointing them on the map. You stated that your ancestor were the Murrays who lived at one. My ancestors lived at the other. I have one or two theories. I am also looking for any photos of here, or the South Newsham area in general.

Offline GeordyB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Monday 29 August 22 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi I used to live at 16 Railway Cottages from the Early Fifties till November 1960, I remember Mr & Mrs Milligan at 15, Mrs Jackson 13 ?,  can`t remember the other numbers but the Stevenson`s were next then Mrs Wilson and son Walter, then The Mason`s with son Phillip and a daughter. Mr & Mrs Bolden .and a daughter, Old Mr Darby who taught all the kids to play Chess. I went to Newsham Infants and Junior`s sp[ending the first year at the little School down the road from the level crossing at the end of Railway Cottages for the first year at the Junior`s, Miss Legge was the Head Teacher. Had a great time there due to all the freedom we had in that area plus not too far to the Beach.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 10:51 BST (UK) »
Railway Cottages are still there

Eddie

My relatives lived in No 11 Station Cottages Newsham  for some years with babies born and died there  one in 1911-1912 and one in  1913
It was always my intentions to go there and take a photo of the house but I never got around to do it
My grandfather was a ticket collector and guard at the station
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline paulmayuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, apologies for jumping in on this post but i'm looking for a Northumberlnd Street, South Newsham, Blyth. Did such a street exist as I can't find it anywhere but had an ancestor who had a confectionery/tabacconists on this street at either number 7, 7a or 70, difficult to read hand writing? Regards paulmayuk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, apologies for jumping in on this post but i'm looking for a Northumberlnd Street, South Newsham, Blyth. Did such a street exist as I can't find it anywhere but had an ancestor who had a confectionery/tabacconists on this street at either number 7, 7a or 70, difficult to read hand writing? Regards paulmayuk

1911 has a tobacconist at No 7 Northumberland St
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWMK-F5B
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk