Author Topic: South Newsham, Blyth  (Read 49824 times)

Offline paulmayuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Newsham, Blyth
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

Offline blythian

• RootsChat Extra
  • YOUNG, TAYLOR, HENDERSON, KEENLYSIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Thursday 26 October 23 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, apologies for jumping in on this post but i'm looking for a Northumberlnd Street, South Newsham, Blyth. Did such a street exist as I can't find it anywhere but had an ancestor who had a confectionery/tabacconists on this street at either number 7, 7a or 70, difficult to read hand writing? Regards paulmayuk

The only Northumberland Street I can think of is the one that existed nearer the river when the area was Newsham & South Blyth before it merged with Cowpen and became just Blyth.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.7&lat=55.12725&lon=-1.50348&layers=257&right=ESRIWorld Visible on this map, but no door numbering unfortunately
Northumberland: Young, Parker, Wolens, Keenlyside, Taylor, Costello
Scotland: Dempster, Henderson, Jackson, M(a)cMillan, M(a)cLanders
Ireland (Co.Mayo): Monaghan, Costello

+ all variations of above names.

Offline paulmayuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Thursday 26 October 23 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Blythian, thanks for your reply. I got in touch with Blyth council and they sent me an old map of the area. It clearly shows where Northumberland Street was. If you know Blyth then the street is a continuation of the old Bridge Street not far from Sussex Street. Regards.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Saturday 28 October 23 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, apologies for jumping in on this post but i'm looking for a Northumberlnd Street, South Newsham, Blyth. Did such a street exist as I can't find it anywhere but had an ancestor who had a confectionery/tabacconists on this street at either number 7, 7a or 70, difficult to read hand writing? Regards paulmayuk

What is now called Bridge Street (an extension of the original Bridge Street) had two names previously. Northumberland Street, but even before that it was Blagdon Street.

The shop, No. 7 and No. 7a was slap bang between the King's Head Hotel and the Star & Garter Hotel as was. The building sandwiched between the two much larger buildings. There is a gap in the row now where No. 7 once stood.

I do have a photo of the street and property which I will now add to this response, for your interest.
I am not sure of the date of the photo, but given the 'new' Police Station is in shot, that was built in 1896, so my guess is the photo is circa 1900, though it could be closer to 1910.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Saturday 28 October 23 00:51 BST (UK) »
Another postcard view of Northumberland Street from the other direction, giving a nice perspective of the street your ancestors lived on.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline paulmayuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Saturday 28 October 23 08:40 BST (UK) »
Phogetts, thank you for the photos, much appreciated. I was only expecting confirmation of where the street was. You have went above and beyond my expectations. Thank you once again.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Saturday 28 October 23 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Glad you like the photos. I do enjoy finding pictures of the places my ancestors lived, it lifts the Family Tree visually, and improves in someways the knowledge we have of them even though we might never have met them. Putting meat on the bones so to speak.

That little shop would have all manner of customers, locals, and visiting sailors wanting news and tobacco, and possibly a postcard to send home to loved ones abroad.

P

Offline paulmayuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Saturday 28 October 23 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi phodgetts, yes I know what you mean. I’m always after that bit extra for the family tree. In the same family, Addison, I’m going to be looking at more past generations ie beyond my 6th great grandfather to see what I can find, if anything!

Thanks again for the photos

Regards
Paul

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Saturday 28 October 23 12:33 BST (UK) »
Is there any good old photos of the Railway cottages at Newsham where my dad once lived
No 11 . My grandfather was a guard at Newsham around 1913 where  my aunt was born
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth