Author Topic: Clements in Alva prior to 1915  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Mountain Mama

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clements in Alva prior to 1915
« on: Tuesday 04 November 08 15:03 GMT (UK) »
The Clement family lived at 49 James St in Alva. The father, James was the station master and the mother I believe stayed home to raise a large family.  My father, David Scott was the last child, born 1903.  They sailed to America in 1915 after 2 or 3 of the older children had sailed earlier.  I would like to know if anyone knows of the family as there are relatives still living in the area.  The family name I know of would be Suttie.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Clements in Alva prior to 1915
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 November 08 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi - There is a Clement family in the 1901 census at 38 Queen St Alva.
James Clement Railway Guard age 46 born Edinburgh.
Wife Jane age 41 born Brechin Forfar.
Children listed.
Maggie age 14, John age 12, James W age 8, Catherine age 6, Bella age 4.  All born in Alva.
Hope this helps.  Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline Mountain Mama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 November 08 12:31 GMT (UK) »
This is the family I am looking for.  I am new to this.  What do I do with this information?  Where do I go from here?

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 November 08 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I suppose it depends on how far back you wish to go.  I took out a subscription to Ancestry.co.uk where you have access to census records going back to 1841 plus other records. Scotland People the Government records office is another good source although it is a pay to view it costs six pounds for 30 credits.
My next step would be a marriage certificate of James Clement and Jane, this would give you date of marriage and Jane's single name also parents of both of them..do you have any idea of where they may have married ? this can be done through Scotlands People..but as I said it will cost but worth it in the long run. Try to Google up James Clement in Alva and see if you come up with anything.
If I can help give me a hoi.. Happy hunting..Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.