Author Topic: Death in South America - help me please!  (Read 8129 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Death in South America - help me please!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 February 09 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Births, marriages and deaths registered in Lima, Perú, 1874-1930 can be found at the FamilySearch Pilot site:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#w=;p=2;c=1439836;t=browsable
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 March 09 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erato, I am wondering if I should've received a reply/acknowledgement of the email I sent on February 1st to the Argentinian Registro Civil? Does it usually take this long?Should I try & send an email to the embassy or consulate?If so can you tell me how to contact them? Thanks for your help!
flst       
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 March 09 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I have no experience whatsoever with the Argentine bureaucracy.  I think that by now you should have received a reply.  I would send a repeat email to the Registro Civil and, meanwhile, make contact with the embassy or a consulate.  Presumably, the embassy is in London; they may have one or more consulates or honorary consuls located in major cities around the UK.  The embassy has an English language website with an email address:

http://www.argentine-embassy-uk.org/version%20ingles/embassy.html

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 March 13 18:38 GMT (UK) »
A very belated update, to tell you that I got a reply, from the British Embassy in Buenos Aires, stating they did not have the information I required:(
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 March 13 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear that.  I don't know how you should proceed.  I recall that I have seen posts on RootsChat from people in Argentina.  I don't know if they are still active and don't remember their names.  Maybe you can track one of them down and ask for help in exchange for giving help with their British queries.

I've always thought it would be useful for RC to maintain a list of people willing to undertake inquiries in specific locations, especially out-of-the-way 'exotic' places.  Out-of-the-way and exotic are, of course, a matter perspective; Scotland fits the bill for me.  Ecuador has only come up once and I did make an effort to find a record of someone's death here but was unsuccessful in locating any information.

Offline hazlaird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 January 15 19:03 GMT (UK) »
James Campbell Stephen,born 25/9/1871,in Aberdeenshire Scotland,sailed to Punta Arenas in 1897.Mary Ann Stephen followed in 1908.They were married in Punta Arenas on 9th October 1908.James's residence is given as Delgada,Patagonia.Their only child,Margaret Stephen was born on 8/10/1910 in Gaiman,Chubut,Argentina.James was a shepherd & died when Margaret was one year old.Mary returned to Strichen,Aberdeenshire with her daughter.Sadly Mary died when Margaret was only 5 years old,& is buried in Strichen graveyard.An inscription on the headstone gives the details (as above) of James's death,although his middle name is wrongly transcribed.I have read books,checked out websites on Patagonia etc. & searched scotlandspeople & English records,overseas deaths,consular returns etc, but cannot find his death recorded.I cannot find S.American newspapers around that period which may have reported his death. What should I do next?
flst

Offline hazlaird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 January 15 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I have just found this web site while looking for information re Mary Ann Stephen.  I believe my husband is a far off relative of Mary Ann and would like to know what happened to Margaret her daughter.  Last record was with her grandmother in Clifton Road Aberdeen.  Do you have any further information?

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 January 15 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Indeed I have more information on Margaret.She graduated from Aberdeen University in 1932. She boarded with a Mr. & Mrs. Joss, Smiddy Croft, Leslie, while she was teaching at Leslie School 1936 - 1946. She also taught at Oyne School 1946 - 1950. In December 1950 she married George Skinner, an Insurance Inspector, who resided at the Congregational Manse, Kirkwall. George's brother was a minister. Margaret's address was Ivy Cottage, Oyne. I believe they lived in Buckie after their marriage. Margaret died in May 1977 at 2 Highfield Road, Buckie. George died in November 1988. His brother Sylvester Skinner was the informant in both instances. I would be interested to hear of how your husband connects with this family.
Regards,
flst

Offline hazlaird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 January 15 21:41 GMT (UK) »
My name is Hazel Laird and I write on behalf of my husband Gordon Laird.  I would like to thank you very much for this information and am delighted that I found this web site purely by accident.  After a long time trying to find the family history of what happened to Margaret another piece has been found in my jigsaw.  My husbands grandfather was born in Tingwall Shetland in 1898, John William Booth(illegitimate) Mother Lizza Booth.  He was raised by John Stephen and Margaret Stephen, parents of Mary Ann Stephen as their nephew but named them as his parents in all official documents i.e. Wedding certificate and death certificate.  John Stephen (shepherd) had 2 brothers Alexander and William and I believe that William was probably the father of my grandfather but he was already married when my grandfather was born.

My grandfather married Eliza Jane Watson Harrison and they had 2 children Jane Margaret Stephen (my mother) and Bunty Stephen.  John William Stephen died 1920 at the age of 32.

If you have anymore information re this side of the family I would be very interested.

Thanks again
Hazel