Author Topic: Hillis family of Monaghan (the city) in Co Monaghan, Ireland  (Read 8007 times)

Offline pianomanrcw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hillis family of Monaghan (the city) in Co Monaghan, Ireland
« on: Tuesday 04 November 08 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Can someone PLEASE find the Hillis family in Co. Monaghan.  Family records says they were from Monaghan (the town) in Co Monaghan, Ireland
They did leave Ireland in 1851.
Here is the family group:
William Hillis (1799) and Mary Boyd (1786) Both William and Mary were from Co Monaghan, Ireland.  William died on Dec.29th, 1881, age 82 and Mary died on April 25th, 1890, age 104.  Dates and ages are from their gravestones at the Durham Cemetery in Bentinck Twp, at Grey County, Ontario, Canada  along with where born, “Native of Co. Monaghan, Ireland.” Children:  James (1830), William (1835), Elizabeth (1836), Sarah (1836, twin to Elizabeth), Mary (1837,  Ann (1839),  Rebecca (1846), Jane (1851).
Could you ever find a marriage record on parents? Thank you for whatever you could do for us.  from Mpls, Minnesota and Hanover, Ontario.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hillis family of Monaghan (the town) in Co Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
It's difficult enough to research Irish families in the early 1800s with details of where they lived (parish if not actual townland) but almost impossible knowing just the county,
Your other post mentioned looking for the family in Scotland- is that where Durham Cemetery is located?
Scottish records are excellent and you might be able to get more information on the family from census and vital records there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hillis family of Monaghan (the city) in Co Monaghan, Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 11:35 GMT (UK) »
There are several Hillis families in North Monaghan - thge family you refer to are listed at Legnacreeve / Braddox Presbyterian Church Records.  Initially William Hillis & Mary Boyd lived at Aghnasedagh, which is very near Monaghan Town, but they attended Legnacreeve Church.  Other Hillis families also listed at the same Church are James & Beth Hillis of Lisaginny, Clontibret, & Robert & Mary Hllis of Roghan, Derrynoose.  These Records are now on CD (approved by the Church) & are available.  You mayt wish to contact me directly at (*) & I will assist you.   

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 13:17 BST (UK) »
The Hillis family of Monaghan appear in several Church Records - Clontibret & Legnacreeve / Braddox areas feature most Hillis listings as can be seen on gthe Church Records of these Churches which are now provided on CD to enable a full easy search of all the relatives

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
The Hillis family are clearly recorded in the Church Records - several Hillis descendants have sourced the Church Records & found all their Ancestors listed.   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 10:46 BST (UK) »
You are missing Margaret...

9th Mar  1828  Birth; Margaret dau, William Hillis  +   Mary Boyd, Aghnasedagh, Monaghan, 

William was born 1830, not 1838.....17th Nov 1830 William son, William  +   Mary Hillis,  nee Boyd, Aghnasedagh

William and Mary are also at Corcaskea, Clontibret  and on 2nd Dec 1852  Robert Hillis son, William Hillis, Corrush  married  Mary Morrison dau, James Morrison, Letterbane, Clontibret

I've to go to Clontibret next week and will keep an eye out for them as there are a few Boyds in this area I need to look for!  You will be very lucky to find the marriage details but you never know!

You might be able to help me in return please, there is someone (understatement; probably 10 ;D :o) that I need to look for in Ontario, will send private message when I get back from Monaghan.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Michael J. Hillis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 05:18 BST (UK) »
If anybody still checks this I am from this family also, so William and Mary Boyd are my great great grandparents..My great grandfather Robert left over some feud and moved to sarnia, with his wife something Wall, anyway they split up, and he moved to detroit. My father knows more about the break up...