Author Topic: Ancestors of Martha Shakespeare born c1839 in Foleshill/Sowe  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Alan5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestors of Martha Shakespeare born c1839 in Foleshill/Sowe
« on: Wednesday 05 November 08 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Martha Shakespeare - Coventry Area - Mid 1800s

My g-g-grandmother was a Martha Shakespeare who married a James Lord in Coventry in 1861.  Both were from Warwickshire and she claimed to be descended from THE Shakespeare family as I suppose all do, especially when from that county.  They came to Australia in 1863.

A likely birth is Martha Shakespeare in 1839 in Foleshill and from her marriage certificate her father was William, a coal dealer.

It is possible her parents were William Shakespeare and Jane Stafford married 1825 in Walsgrave on Sowe.

Based on the Census records it seems William was born c1803 in Bulkington, Sowe or Barnacle (parents unknown) whereas Jane Stafford was probably born 1808 to Martha Stafford in Walsgrave on Sowe.  William and Jane lived in Sowe and Oldbury (Worcestershire).  After William’s death, possibly in 1875 (West Bromwich) it seems Jane lived in the Alms Houses, Sheep St, Aston, Warwick until her death (1892?).  William was a ribbon weaver, coal miner and carter. Known children of William and Jane include George, Rebecca, Martha, Ruth, Charles and Thomas.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone with an interest in this family.  I live in Sydney, Australia and my access to Warwickshire resources is a bit limited so I would greatly appreciate it if anyone is able to find out more about William or Jane or their ancestors.  I can provide more specific knowledge I have but mainly I have found them in all the censuses up to 1891 and the occasional IGI and FreeBMD entries.

Thanks
Alan

Offline steph-B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of Martha Shakespeare born c1839 in Foleshill/Sowe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan , try this website:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~shakespeare/pedigrees/index.htm

It hasn't been updated for ages, but you may find info on  Martha's family there. best of luck,
Steph  ;D
Donati- anywhere,Bland-Dingley & Northants,Lyng-London, Checklin-Stow, Shakespeare-Coventry

Offline Alan5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steph,

Thanks for the reminder.  I had checked this site before but didn't find known ancestors. However, with a bit more research and another check I am reasonably confident that there is a link with one of the trees which gives me something to work off.

Thanks again
Alan

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Alan,

You may already be aware of this site, but if not........

http://www.hunimex.com/warwick/bmd/bmd_indx.html

It has a good number of records for Coventry/Foleshill/Sowe

regards
Leofric

Offline Alan5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 November 08 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Leofric.  The site looked familiar but it was a long while since I had visited.  I'll bookmark.
Alan

Offline skidmorecarol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 11 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan
I know it's been a long time since you posted this forum about Martha Shakespeare but I'm currently researching my Shakespear line.  If your Martha was in the family of William and Jane Stafford then we are from the same tree.  My Gt Gt grandmother was Ruth Shakespear who was Martha's sister.
Did you find any further information?  I have researched the line quite a bit and would love to hear from you.

Best regards
Carol