Author Topic: PLEASE: New Houghton Parish - Baptisms Lookup -Jarvis  (Read 3961 times)

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
PLEASE: New Houghton Parish - Baptisms Lookup -Jarvis
« on: Thursday 03 February 05 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the New Houghton Parish Registers and are you willing to do a rather blanket search?

I am trying to find the children of my Great Great Great Grandparents: Christopher Jarvis and Margaret Kendall married 1821 in East Rudham.  The family was found on the 1841 Census in New Houghton they emmigrated to Canada in 1845. 

I am hoping to find the baptisms of their children in this parish beginning 1821 thru to 1845.  Maybe eight children  - Henry, William, Robert, James, Mary Ann, Jonas but there are a couple of older ones that did not appear on the 1841 census at least one daughter and one son - names not known :)

Further I am still looking for Christopher Jarvis' baptism abt 1800 maybe also in this parish?

Please will anyone lend a helping hand...this family has been quite difficult to trace!
Susan (from Montreal)
WOODAGE (East London);
SPEAR (Laneast, Cornwall);
FRENCH (Rye/Hastings, Sussex);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
JARVIS (Houghton, Norfolk);
KING (Wortham,Suffolk- Hove, Sussex);
FLEMING(Logierait & Dowally, Perthshire);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline FTMAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE: New Houghton Parish - Baptisms Lookup -Jarvis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 September 05 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hello:

Your message about Christopher Jarvis of New Houghton caught my eye, as my wife’s ancestor was Samuel Jarvis of the same village.  Samuel, who was the son of Richard and Honor (Brown) Jarvis, emigrated to Ontario in the 1860s.  A few years ago, while looking at the Parish Registers of the church in Houghton-next-Harpley or New Houghton, I came across some entries concerning Christopher.  It may be that someone else has responded to your request, but if not here is what I can pass on to you.  I'll do it in two parts.

Christopher’s birth (I recorded it as a birth date, not a baptism date) was 1797 July 23.  His parents were Richard & Elizabeth Jarvis.

As for the children of Christopher and Margaret, I came across the following entries:

1841   Sept      4      Isaiah         Christopher & Margaret

1838   May       20      William      Christopher & Margaret

1835   June       14      Robert      Christopher & Margaret

1833   Feb       10      Mary Ann      Christopher & Margaret

1831   April      17      James         Christopher & Margaret

1829   May       10      John         Christopher & Margaret

1827   March      4      Henry         Christopher & Margaret

1825   April      3      Elizabeth      Christopher & Margaret

1823   July       6      Hortin         Christopher & Margaret

1821   Oct      21      John         Christopher & Margaret

The other children of Richard and Elizabeth Jarvis were (birth dates, unless noted):

Wharton Johnson 13 Apr 1790
Henry 26 May 1792
William Robert 20 Dec 1794
Christopher
James 9 Mar 1800 (baptism)
Elizabeth 11 Dec 1803 (baptism)
Octavius 29 Dec 1805 (baptism)
Carolina about 1806 ( in the 1841 census of New Houghton Docking Union, Caroline was 35 years old)
Amelia 20 Jan 1813 (baptism)

The rest will be in a second message.

Michael Duffy
Jarvis, Drawater, Goll, Bunting, Drew, Brown, Ralph, Sparks in Norfolk

Offline FTMAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 05 07:06 BST (UK) »
This is part II of message.

Richard Jarvis and Elizabeth Forster were married at Houghton-next-Harpley on 12 Jan 1790.  The witnesses were William Jarvis and Richard Jarvis.

Elizabeth Jarvis died at the age of 67 years.  She was buried on 15 Jul 1836.

Richard Jarvis died at the age of 82 years.  He was buried on 27 Jun 1843.

Elizabeth’s parents were Henry Forster and Ann Johnson.  You’ll see that her father’s name, Henry, was given to Richard and Elizabeth’s second son.  The middle name of the first son, Wharton Johnson, was the maiden name of Elizabeth’s mother, Ann Johnson.

I’m not sure who Richard’s parents were.  The Parish Registers mentioned a few Jarvis men of the previous generation:

1. John, who married Mary Bunting or Bunton 13 Sep 1763 (witnesses were Richard Rumball and Robert Johnson); 

2. Richard, who married Mary Roice in 1762 and Grace Davy on 29 Oct 1792 (witnesses were Elizabeth Winkworth and William Jarvis); he died at the age of 76 and was buried 9 Apr 1812.   

3. Richard, who was married to Ann, who were the parents of children Samuel (1751), Mary (1758-twin?) and Deborah (1758-twin?)

4. William, who married Mary Roice in and ; she died at the age of 67, and was buried in March 1792; he died a widower, at the age of 75, and was buried 31 Jul 1793.

Christopher’s father, Richard could not have been the son of John and Mary (#1).  They were the parents of another Richard, who married Ann Drawater.  Richard and Ann were the parents of the Richard Jarvis who was the father of my wife’s ancestor, Samuel.  I suspect John and Mary’s son, Richard was a cousin to the Richard who was Christopher’s father.  He may have been the Richard who was one of the witnesses to Richard and Elizabeth’s 1790 marriage.

I could not find a record of any children of Richard and Mary Jarvis (#2), which may indicate they were childless.  Had they been Christopher’s grandparents (i.e. the parents of the Richard who married Elizabeth Forster), I would have expected one of Richard and Elizabeth’s sons (especially one of the earlier ones) to be named Richard.  They had no son by that name.  This leads me to say Richard and Mary (#2) were not Richard’s parents.

As for the possibility that Richard and Ann Jarvis (#3) were Richard’s parents, again I would rule them out because Richard and Elizabeth did not name a son Richard. 

This leaves William and Mary Jarvis (#4).  Richard and Elizabeth named their third son, William Robert.  The second son was named for Elizabeth’s father (Henry Forster).  The first son Wharton Johnson was likely named after someone on Elizabeth’s maternal side.  When Elizabeth’s parents, Henry Forster and Ann Johnson were married on 9 Dec 1766, the witness was Wharton Johnson.  I suspect he was Ann’s father, in which case Richard and Elizabeth named their first son for Elizabeth’s maternal grandfather.  Another possibility is that the first son was named after an uncle of Elizabeth’s who also had the name Wharton Johnson (i.e. this Wharton Johnson would have been the son of the old Wharton Johnson, and a brother to Elizabeth’s mother Ann).  There was a bachelor Wharton Johnson who was buried in Apr 1796.  Having accounted for the names of Richard and Elizabeth’s first two sons, the question is why did they name their third son William?  Could it be that was Richard’s father’s name?  If so, that could have been the William who married Mary Roice.

The only other information I can offer is:

1.  Based on the entries in the church registers for New Houghton (Houghton-next-Harpley), the Jarvis family appears to have arrived in Houghton shortly before February 1751 when Samuel, the son of Richard and Ann Jarvis was baptized.  There was no record of a marriage between Richard and Ann, or any earlier entries for members of the Jarvis family.

2.  Source:  Rootsweb Mailing List, Norfolk, England, Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 22:37:55, From:  "Patricia Mason" Subject: Re: Houghton & Walpole:

"Are the following , taken from private papers still at Houghton Hall any use?  (References are those given in the 1994 Report of the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts on the Cholmondeley papers.)

M15  (only heads of house named)

1829 :
Cottage No3 Elizth JARVIS , one male 20-25, 1 female 45-50
Cottage No4 Richd JARVIS 2males under 5, 1male 5-10 ,1 male 25-30, 1 female under 5, 1female 5-10 , 1 female 25-30.
Cottage No10 Richard JARVIS 1 male 20-25, 1 male 60-65, 1female 55-60.

1832 (only heads of house named no details of others)
Cottage No3 Elizabeth JARVIS
Cottage No4 Christopher JARVIS
Cottage No4 Richard JARVIS jnr
Cottage NO9 Richard JARVIS snr
Cottage NO10 Widow R JARVIS.

1834 (sons & daughters counted are adult)
Widow JERVIS
Widow Betty JERVIS with one son Labourer
Christopher JERVIS , labourer, with wife & 6 children
Richd JERVIS & wife (aged*) Blacksmith with 1 grandchild, 2 sons labourers,
& 2 daughters (*ie old)
Widow JERVIS
Richd JERVIS  , sawyer, & wife & 7 children."

I hope some of this is of help to you.  If you’ve come cross anything else about the family, please let me know.  By the way, what came of Christopher in Canada?

Michael Duffy
Jarvis, Drawater, Goll, Bunting, Drew, Brown, Ralph, Sparks in Norfolk

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 September 05 14:08 BST (UK) »
Morning Michael :)

Well now, thank you for the info.  However I have, since that posting in February, found out all that you sent on but I wanted to thank you immensely for going to the trouble!   ;D  Now, in saying that, I did not have the early Surveys 1829, 1832, 1834 and wanted to obtain them so another BIG thank you on those.

Michael, I have 'million dollar' question to ask you! What proof do you have that your Richard Jarvis who married Ann Drawater is the son of John Jarvis and Mary Bunting and not my Richard Jarvis who married Elizabeth Forester?  As that has been something I have yet to determine in my digging!  We have two Richards born almost at the same time - one baptised in Houghton 1765 son of John and Mary?  The other baptised where? Son of who?   Both living in Houghton and raising families at the same time!!

Can you post a reply here or, better yet send a personal message to me through here and I will give you my home email so we can compare.  There are a few of us working on this Jarvis line!

Christopher and Margaret and their sons emigrated to Ontario, Canada and ended up just between Madoc and Marmora.  They began what was once called the " Jarvis Settlement" there and now, really all that is left is 'Jarvis Lake' today.  Their son James Jarvis (my line) had a large family -12 children who went forth and multiplied all over Canada and US.

As well as my Jarvis' from Houghton, a few Johnsons as well as Doughty's also from Houghton immigrated and ended up in the same area as Christopher and Margaret.

Hope to hear from you soon
Susan (from Montreal)

WOODAGE (East London);
SPEAR (Laneast, Cornwall);
FRENCH (Rye/Hastings, Sussex);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
JARVIS (Houghton, Norfolk);
KING (Wortham,Suffolk- Hove, Sussex);
FLEMING(Logierait & Dowally, Perthshire);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)