Author Topic: My BRICK wall  (Read 11524 times)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: My BRICK wall
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 November 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
and from FreeCen 1841

Address: Pirniefield

BRASH   David   M   60   Merchant Grocer Spirit Dealer    not born county     
    BRASH   Agnes  F   50   Wife  not born county     
    BRASH   Agnes  F  20 Midlothian       
    BRASH   Margaret  F  15  Midlothian       
    BRASH   Robina  F 15 Midlothian       
    BRASH   Elizabeth  F 12 Midlothian       
    BRASH   Alexander  M  10 Midlothian       
    BRASH   Magdalene F 8 Midlothian       

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 November 08 11:51 GMT (UK) »
So,

Back off SP.  23 David Brash deaths in Scotland between 1860 and 1950.

Downloaded 3 of them, which seemed to fit into the correct  age criteria - and died in Edinburgh.

None with a mother Helen.  Just away to revisit them.  One a terrible quality and will have to contact SP.  :O(

1913   SRI Death   BRASH, DAVID (Statutory Deaths 685/05 0701)
Aged 67.  Masons labourer married to Mary Stewart father Hugh Brash (sawyer and mother Maggie Brash Ms Crockett)

1903   SRI Death   BRASH, DAVID (Statutory Deaths 685/04 0323)
Aged 66 Very poor quality - Father John Brash - mother Margaret.

1882   SRI Death   BRASH, DAVID (Statutory Deaths 685/01 0712)
Aged 54.  A single millworker - father John Brash (weaver and mother Agnes Brash MS Drummond)

List of 23 names sent to Dollydimples by pm

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 November 08 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Well done Steve with that reference to the Scotsman  ;)

I've found a reference to David H Brash, wine spirit merchant in Leith, in a story that ran on 6 July 1876

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 November 08 16:09 GMT (UK) »
   Well!  This is brilliant.. Many thank's Monica & Piglet for these thread's and all your interest.. I have been down with the dreaded bug, but this is cheering me up no end.

I certainly have some sorting of whose- who now , and most certainly will have to get back on to SP.. I do appreciate all this help..and Andy I will follow the advice you gave on re registering.. thank's again..

Just to add I have all the  Scottish Brash lot on census and a copy of David (seniors) will which left the business to Agnes,but only found snippetts from the Gale library newspapers about the will in favour of David H Brash.  I never found David any more after 1861.. Well done  all of you .. A Grateful Dolly..
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 November 08 18:51 GMT (UK) »
  Hi Andy,   SP still not responding. I did as you said and registered again, all went fine till they said "you have now been sent 2 emails". I diden't!!  Have checked my mail contacts and SP are in  there and ticked, what must I be doing wrong. I receive mail both in BT yahoo & Outlook Express.. HELP!!
                              Dolly.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 November 08 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dolly

Hope your are recovering...it's going to be a long winter isn't it  :'(

Just as background to the family, in case you miss it at the Scotsman Archives. Something happened to the family around the mid to late 1840s. From a number of articles, I picked up that David Snr. had to sell the shop and house and was made bankrupt. There is also a notice placed by him that he would act as guarantor to the debts and liabilities of son John. From memory now, this was circa 1846/7. At a guess, maybe the two were connected? From what you said, son John showed to be residing at 'his majesty's pleasure' by 1851 in England.

Monica  :)

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 November 08 21:52 GMT (UK) »
 Gosh Monica , you lot are certainly on the ball here! 

Yes indeed John Brash was the son of David & Agnes, he was my GT GT Grandfather.. who certainly was in Portland Prison 1851 England census..for what heaven knows!!

This family have been quite a mixed up lot!  John must have died in prison sometime after 1851 as he does not appear in 1861, and his wife Helen now a widow.

Their  family was -- David H Brash 1845 Thomas Littlejohn Brash 1846. Helen Brash 1848. Johan Magdalene Brash 1850. Thomas was my Gt Grandfather, he was a headmaster in Hertfordshire and stole about £130 from school funds then vanished after  4 of 5 children  died in the Camberwell workhouse.

My Grandfather was the survivor who was taken to Wales with Parents Thos & Catherine . I think (in fact-- gut sure) I  have found them in 1891 under the name of Brown at Cardiff. There is no more trace of Thomas after 1891 as in 1901 Kate is a widow and my Grandfather in Devonshire in the Navy.. he never spoke of the incident, but there were rumours of all sorts went  round the family---- finally forgotten until I began the family search.. 

I moved on to Thomas' sister's and brother, found Helen married , then spent most of her life in Chrichton Royal Mental Institution where she died in 1929 age 80. Johan never married & went to Glasgow working  with the Church after leaving Hertfordshire just after 1891, she died in 1928 age79 in Glasgow ,but whatever happened to Thomas Littlejohn Brash & brother David H. remains a mystery..There you have it all, my big brick wall.
     Many thank's Monica, and advice welcome,, regards Dolly.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 November 08 22:08 GMT (UK) »
SP still not responding. I did as you said and registered again, all went fine till they said "you have now been sent 2 emails". I diden't!!  Have checked my mail contacts and SP are in  there and ticked, what must I be doing wrong. I receive mail both in BT yahoo & Outlook Express.. HELP!!

Hi Dolly

SP are responding as they state they have sent the emails, it is your system thats blocking them probably reading them as spam, have you checked your spam for around the time you registered? The emails come from unmanned@scotlandspeople.gov.au look for unmanned.

You made need to check in both yahoo and outlook express.

Andy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 November 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Dolly

What sad outcomes for many of them....

If you are ever keen to follow up on John's court/prison records, there is a good post here on RC with lots of pointers:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,113703.0.html

I hope you resolve the SP issues  :)

Monica

ADDED: You also have this site www.institutions.org.uk/prisons/England/DOR/portland_convict_prison.htm