Author Topic: can you find in 1901  (Read 1850 times)

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
can you find in 1901
« on: Thursday 06 November 08 03:58 GMT (UK) »
thomas oxberry c 1840. he was living in castleford with wife hannah and son james in 1891. hannah died in 1892 but there is no sign of thomas or james in 1901. thomas didnt die until 1917 so he must be somewhere

thanks
perth :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: can you find in 1901
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 08 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Perth,

Could he have remarried?

Found a Thomas OXBERSY 62, wife Jane 70, with possible grandson Thomas Oxberry, 18 . Think this is the Thos.W.Oxberry aged 8 with them and James 10 on 1891 census.

RG13/Piece 4447/Folio 124/Pg22

There is also a possible marriage Freebmd for Thomas Oxberry to a Jane Flethcher 1896, York.

Just have a look and see what you think ;)

Trish

Will look for James now ;)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 November 08 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Perth,

Looked at 1891 census image again. James appears to be aged 19, not 10., so born circa 1872.

Searched with this age and think I have found them 1881.

Are Thomas and Hannahs children, George, James, Mary Ann and Thomas ???? Some born Durham and the rest Yorks.??
Was Thomas snr. as glass bottle blower/maker??

Trying to find them on all censuses to see if what i found above is wrong and thomas might have gone to live with one of his childrens families after Hannahs death.

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 08 08:12 GMT (UK) »
hi trish
i have all the family in all the census up until 1901. the only person who i dont have in 1901
are thomas 1840
george 1868
james 1872
the last post of yours is them

you have certainly got me thinking now.
i know thomas died in 1917 in castleford. the informant was his son in law who is living with thomas in 1891.
the strange thing is his son william robert oxberry died in the same house 4 months before, but with that death having to have an inquest there was no informant so until today i didnt know who lived there.
the grandson thomas william oxberry was born in castleford in late 1882. as of yet i dont know who to. all the possible parents of thomas william didnt marry until later than that.
from what i know for def. thomas 1840 was left at least 600 pounds by his father. his father died in the same quarter as thomas wife hannah.
maybe he got the money and left castleford to go back to york(where the family did live for a time) and took the illigitimate grandson with him.
not wanting to be found he remarried and didnt go back to castleford until his son william robert had died.
i cant find the death of hannah his wife either allthough i know for def she was buried in castleford.

any thoughts would be app

perth :) :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline Rogerbclayton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 08:05 GMT (UK) »
I note that your post is dated 2008 but I have some info on Thomas Oxberry b:1840 at Haverton Hill, baptised at Billingham, Co Durham and who moved to York with his parents William Oxberry & Elizabeth Jordan. He married Hannah Burnett nee Benson 05 Nov 1859 at St Mary's, Castlegate, York as "Thomas Oxberry Jorden". They had 6 known children. Hannah was buried on 24 Dec 1891 at Castleford and Thomas remarried to Jane Fletcher nee Goodall in 1896. Hannah's death is registered under "Hannah Oiberry". Jane's death was registered Jun qtr 1910, York.

Thomas William Oxberry born 10 Sep 1882 was the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Oxberry. Elizabeth married Harry Greenwood in 1884 Pontefract so perhaps Thomas William was not welcomed by his step father hence living in York with his grandparents in 1891.
Thomas William possibly married Emily Bruce 1900 York but there is confusion. On the 1901 Census a "Thomas Oxberry" appears living with his grandfather in York as a 'postman' but with an incorrect birth place of York and a status of 'single'. There is a second record in Sheffield of a "Thomas W Oxberry" declared age 18 and 'married' living at 4 Horner Road and also a 'postman'. He is a boarder.
RG13/4355/130/38/225.

George Oxberry (1867-1935) enumerated as "Oxbery" in 1901 at Dringhouses, York:
RG13/4444/19/3/145

James Oxberry (1872-1925). Enlisted in West Yorks Regiment in 1892. Regiment Number 3120. Possibly serving abroad hence missing in 1901 but further research is needed via his regimantal papers and the Regiment's whereabouts. There is a suitable death for him in 1925 Hong Kong and a Passenger list for a 'James Henry Oxberry" aged 52 departing Liverpool on 09 Jun 1923 SS Sarpedon. He is declared the 'Proprietor of the N E Hotel, Castleford'.

You probably have all of this by now.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you would be interested to see where Thomas and Hannah Oxberry and family were living in 1881.

Their address is 35 Adolphus Street in Dawdon which is part of Seaham. Seaham (or Seaham Harbour) was founded by Charles William Stewart, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry and many of the streets in Seaham have names relating to his family, his descendants and their associates. Adolphus Street was named for his son Lord Adolphus Vane-Tempest. (I was born in a street named after a later Londonderry's racehorse which won the St. Leger in 1921 at 50:1)

Here is a link to the 1897 25 inch OS map of the relevant area, zoomed in to show the bottom (ie east) end of Adolphus Street, with the word Adolphus in the margin:

https://tinyurl.com/y2bu3d9z

Judging by the enumerator's route, number 35 was probably off the map a little to the west.

If you track down the left margin of the map past Viceroy Street, the Allotment Gardens, and the two railways that cross each other you will see the label Swine Lodge (in the margin) Bank on the South Hetton railway that is running from the SW to the docks. From that position go due east to the coast and you will see Seaham Bottle Works, also known at one time as the Londonderry Bottle Works and owned by John Candlish (see his WP page here: https://tinyurl.com/ms7tpmk7).  Indeed if you look at the small group of houses just to the west of the bottleworks you'll see that one of the streets is named Candlish Terrace.

The Candlish works was the only bottle works in Seaham, so this is undoubtedly where he worked. It would have been a walk of a little over half a mile from his home to the bottle works.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon