Author Topic: The Limericks of Derry  (Read 15356 times)

Offline net64

• RootsChat Senior
  • rose doherty nee gill
    • View Profile
Re: The Limericks of Derry
« Reply #27 on: Friday 23 August 13 21:50 BST (UK) »
Good evening :)
Returning to this thread after a few years.I have found out a few things since and thought it better to add to this rather than start  a new thread.
The following is an rough extract from Margaret Docherty's (nee Limerick) Poorhouse record from Glasgow 1878.

(Margaret Limerick or Docherty is aged 60 years,born in Ireland,Co Londonderry,3 miles from Derry town at Loch Enoch.Roman Catholic,daughter of Robert Limerick,shoemaker and Annie Broadly both dead.
Husband Charles Docherty died 21 years ago.Died in Inneshewan Ireland.Was born in Derry,Ireland and was a blacksmith )

It was originally thought that Margaret's mother was Catherine as this was what was on her death cert It now seems to be Annie and the surname probably Bradley.

I also now know that the Sally Limerick mentioned earlier was Margaret's sister as she was with her on the 1861 Glasgow census.Sally was on the Griffith's Valuation at Redcastle,Inishowen also.I got a death cert for a Sally Limerick,spinster died 1884 at Glenderine/Glenderowen.I'm pretty sure it's her.Age fits and it's the only Sally Limerick I have come across.

I came across a Robert Limerick on the 1831 census list at Enagh,Clondermot,Tirkeeran.I am hoping that this is her father but as Kingskerswell said in a prevoius post it only lists male or females not names :(
I also got From Family Search a Robert who died in 1867 ages 67 but it's trying to connect the two :-\

I was wondering if someone could maybe tell me what church would have been the local one for Enagh?I was hoping to try and find out where Robert might be buried or if there is any surviving records of his death or even his marriage to Annie (Broadly/Bradley).

I know that several of you have helped me out with this extensively previously and listed a lot of Limericks but any help to try and put me in the right direction would be really appreciated :)

Sorry for the long post!
Annette
Doherty-Inishowen,Donegal/Glasgow,Scotland
Bradley-Inishowen,Donegal
Limerick-Derry/Inishowen,Donegal
Brown  - Inishowen , Donegal
cConway-Inishowen,Donegal
Harvey-Glasgow/Campsie,Scotland
McGill-Glasgow,Scotland
Carroll-Ireland/Glasgow
McGruer-Cullen,Banff/Glasgow

Offline amh2023

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 14:21 GMT (UK) »
marriage. ROBERT LEMERICK TO FRANCES MCLENAHAN 1-12-1854 TOWNLAND BALLYLAWN, MOVILLE,DONEGAL INISHOWEN.

redcastle is very near moville.

regards mary.

These are my great grandparents. Their daughter Sarah Jane married my great grandfather John Toye

Offline amh2023

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kingskerswell for that but,unfortunately there is no Robert and Catherine or Margaret and Charles Doherty.God, they are so elusive,where have they gone!
It was far easier to get all the Dohertys and theres a million and one of them!
If you come across any births that would be brilliant also :)

net64, I appreciate that these posts are from such a long time ago and you may have found all you need to know about these people by now. If not, they're my relatives though I'm still researching them as they've been quite a problem to find.
My GGGF is Robert Limerick who married Fanny (Frances) McClenaghan in 1855 in Moville. Their children are Catherine born 1856, Margaret 1860, Robert 1863, Sarah Jane 1865 (My GGM), Charles 1868, Mary 1870, Fanny 1873, Joseph 1875. All were baptised in Moville parish except for Joseph who was baptised in Iskaheen Parish, closer to Derry. This is where it gets complicated as Joseph was registered as Limerick at his baptism and his parents surnames given as Limerick but on his birth record his surname is given as Lamberton, both records say address is Three Trees, Moville, parents are Robert and Fanny, and the dates are right. The birth record for Lamberton says his mothers maiden name was McClenaghan so it seems right. It seems the family changed their surname to Lamberton and moved into Derry around then.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 10:16 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, amh  :)

marriage. ROBERT LEMERICK TO FRANCES MCLENAHAN 1-12-1854 TOWNLAND BALLYLAWN, MOVILLE,DONEGAL INISHOWEN.

My GGGF is Robert Limerick who married Fanny (Frances) McClenaghan in 1855 in Moville.

The OP (net64) was last online here in March 2016, but if they have the same e-mail address they registered with on RootsChat and still have notifications for replies turned on, then they should receive an e-mail to tell them of your post.

The marriage as you say was on 1 December 1855. Robert Limerick living in the townland of Ballylawn.
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/inishowen-east/moville-upper/castlecary/ballylawn/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4024404#map=12/55.1971/-7.0494

The marriage record image attached below.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline amh2023

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your welcome Kiltaglassan and for these details, those spelling variations will help me find the record

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 11:54 GMT (UK) »

You're very welcome, amh   :D :D

Good hunting!

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo