Author Topic: Need an opinion  (Read 3809 times)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Need an opinion
« on: Friday 07 November 08 17:20 GMT (UK) »
I found a death and burial of one of my family.  This is how it reads, it is from the Penshaw burials.

William Barres, Shiney Row, son of Cuthbert Barres, pitman, by his wife Ann Elsdon, native of North Shields, died 10 Oct 1812, buried 13 Oct 1812, age 15.

I know that William was baptised in Washington and place of birth was N Winning.  So do you think I should be looking for his father and/or mother in North Shields?  This family moved back and forth between Penshaw and Washington.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Need an opinion
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 November 08 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Are the parents still around in 1851? If so , where do they say they were born?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 08 17:24 GMT (UK) »
No such luck--they died before 1841 even.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 08 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I would read it as meaning they were living in Shiney Row at the time of young William's death, and that Ann was originally from North Shields.  Was he the eldest child?  If so, perhaps they married in the N. Winning area.  Pity it doesn't give Cuthbert's origin, or maybe because it doesn't that means he's a native of Shiney Row?

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 November 08 17:40 GMT (UK) »
The only thing I have found (apart from IGI entries) for a Cuthbert Barres is this baptism, much too early of course, but listing it in case it comes in somewhere

Chester-le-Street
St. Mary and St. Cuthbert
25 Nov 1716 Cuthbert Barres, of Pelton, son of Ralph Barres

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 November 08 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Cuthbert with closest reconning was born about 1749 and Ann Elsdon about 1751.  William was the last born.  One of his younger brothers Thomas also died the same day--a mining accident.

I find both last names in Tynemouth in later years.  I don't have access to Tynemouth records between 1735-1754.  Neither the IGI or my transcripts.  What records there are have the names Cuthbert, Ralph, and Francis as common names and those names also run through the Washington/Penshaw family also.

Cuthbert and Anne married in Penshaw.

Janis

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 November 08 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janis,

Sorry, didn't realise you already had the marriage, I thought maybe you were looking for their marriage when you said you were looking for William's parents  ::)

Barbara  :)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 November 08 21:17 GMT (UK) »
No those two deaths--William and Thomas have been the only hint I have had as to where Cuthbert or his wife Anne might be from. 

There is a Cuthbert Barras in Chester le Street for 1749 son of Cuthbert.

I probably will never know for sure.

Janis

Offline Lori Glory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 November 08 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Janis

I think we corresponded a couple of years ago.

If you send me an email to pnjmillington AT bigpond.com, I'll update you on my Barrass/Elsdon connections.

Judith
Moderator comment.  Email amended, in accordance with rootschat policy, in order to avoid spam