Author Topic: Patrick McLoughlin - born Feb. 6, 1910 - Tinnamuck  (Read 12365 times)

Offline ScotLynne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick McLoughlin - born Feb. 6, 1910 - Tinnamuck
« on: Sunday 09 November 08 00:35 GMT (UK) »
The above was the brother of my husband's mother Bridget from Tinnamuck, Clara, Kings County.  Their parents were Patt & Elizabeth McLoughlin (same last name)  Bridget emigrated to the USA, married, and had five children.  Trying to find out if her brother married and had children.  Thanks for any help.

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick McLoughlin - born Feb. 6, 1910 - Tinnamuck
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 08 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello & Welcome,I know for sure Mcloughlin is still a very common name in this area & there are still Mcloughlins in Tinnamuck today,Tinnamuck comes under Kilmanaghan/Kilmonaghan (I have found it spelt both ways)If you are checking out parish records for Patricks marriage it would be worth looking at Tubber church records ,as people from the area of Tinnamuck used Tubber,also the  children from there  went to Tubber school,You may know in the past, for many years the brothers that used to run The Cat & Bagpipes in Tubber were called Mcloughlin,+ no doubt you will have already notice that in Griffith's Valuation there is a Patrick Mcloughlin listed for Tinnamuck maybe related to Patt & Elizabeth.I'm sure if some one comes along that maybe related or have known  Patrick they will contacted you with a PM.Good luck with your search, regards Nipy

Offline ScotLynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 November 08 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nipy - Thank you for taking the time to answer my inquiry.  I have just spent this past week pouring over the Tober Church Records which I ordered from the Church of the Latter Day Saints.  Yes, the McLoughlins are there in full force!  Our problem is that my husband's mom died in 1964 leaving very very little information about where she was from or about her family.  My husband remembered that she did talk of a place called Tinnamuck, Moate (it struck him funny) and thats how we found her birth record and her brother.  However the Church Records stop in 1883.  I had quite a bit of luck posting on a website about my own family (from Mayo) Someone answered me, gave me an address and I wrote.  I found my distant relatives!!!  I also have the Griffiths Valuation and note the McLoughlin name as well as Bridget's grandparents (Colgan).  You are right, maybe someone will see the post and follow up.  Bridget corresponded with her brother, but after her death there was no further communication.  We don't know if he did marry, but I figured I would give it a shot. Again thanks for taking the time to answer.  I appreciate.  ScotLynne

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 November 08 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  a bit of excitement  I have seen a picture of two children a boy & girl taking 1950/60s from Tinnamuck they look about 7 & 8 yrs old,it looks as if it's the boys Holy Communion Day.If they are related to your Patrick I don't know (will send you there names on a PM)As Patrick would have been around in living memory some one is sure to know some thing of Patrick who's sister Bridget went to USA ,Happy hunting Nipy

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 December 08 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotlynne,I found out that Tinnamuck is in the heart off bogland & there was a large peatworks there (it's still a working place today but not employing the large amount of men like it did.) it is quite possible that Patrick could have worked here!The cemeteries for the area are Tubber & Boher.Boher cemetery is just out side Ballycumber - also people from Tinnamuck would use Boher for weddings & baptism(it is a very important church for the area as it has a holly shrine.)Before Tubber's new cemetery the grave yard use was Kilmonaghan which is between Tubber & Tinnamuck,Kilmonghan is a lovely old cemetery which is very well looked after it was a treat to look around it -Patrick wouldn't have been buried here as it is no longer in use but there was some Mcloughlin graves there!I will post a few photo's of Kilmonaghan cemetery to give you some idea of where you kin folk maybe laid to rest.Regards Nipy

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 December 08 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,just to give you another little in site to Tinnamuck area when Bridget & Patrick were growing up many time they may have looked & wondered at Tinnamuck Spire (that's what the locals call it) it is a folly tower,regards Nipy

Offline ScotLynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 December 08 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nipy - Thanks so much for the pictures of the cemetery.  I had heard the name Kilmanaghan, when looking at the Griffiths Valuation records for McLoughlins of that time.  It really looked pretty well kept.  My husband's father's side of the family is from West Cork, so we have no "connections" in the area where Bridget came from.  I do know she returned home in 1934 to see her mother, prior to her marriage to Richard Collins. 

Your continued efforts on my part are greatly appreciated.  I understand when you get that "rush" helping someone else.  I too get great satisfaction when I can help.  Who knows, maybe your friend will turn up the relatives! Wouldn't that be great, especially during the holiday season. 

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes I enjoyed myself very much looking around Kilmonaghan cemetery!I'm such an old romantic,the big green bushy thing in the background is the ruins of the old church,the cemetery stands alone there is no village,but it is just out side of Tubber going toward Tinnamuck.I know I myself would also have relatives buried there ( I know for a fact my Great Aunts Daughter died as child & is buried there,she must have been one off the last burials .)The head stones are very hard to read,if I get back in the summer & the weather is kinder I will have a better look.When I get any info I will get back to you fingers crossed we strike lucky,Best Wishes Nipy

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 December 08 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hur Ray Bingo Scotlynne, I will be sending you a PM with good news,regards NIPY