Author Topic: How this for a special deal!  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How this for a special deal!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Do you realise that as an Australian resident you can access the Origins Network (and quite a number of other licensed databases) online through  the National Library in Canberra for free. If you go to the link below and join. You get your card in the mail after about 5 days.

http://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard

This was a great resource provided by the National Library, and I used it for some Censuses.

A couple of days ago, I tried to access Origins through the National Library again, but couldn't find it. I emailed the library today, and here is their reply;

"Thank you for contacting the National Library of Australia.

You weren't mistaken - it was the Origins site, and yes you were able to view records then. However, the site owners have since revoked our permission to give offsite access to the records on this database, so now you can only search its indexes for free; to view images of the records, you would need to pay.
I'm sorry if this has caused you any inconvenience, but we must abide by the conditions set by the vendor of the database.

"

That's such a shame, as it was very useful, and FREE!. I guess somebody has to pay "Mr Origins" wages   :'(

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 08:31 GMT (UK) »
I emailed again recently because I still had not received a reply or an explanation but no reply still.  I will not be using them again, as their customer service stinks and their 'special offers' are to be avoided!!  >:( >:(

They ain't what they seem!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry

Origins is stll accessable onsite at Canberra which unfortunately doesn't help most of us.

Origins Network: Online access to ancestral information on British Origins and Irish Origins, plus expert Scottish Old Parish records for research on Scots origins, dating back to the 13th century. Includes marriage registers, wills, court and apprentice records, as well as downloadable images of original maps and plans. DUE TO LICENCING RESTRICTIONS IMPOSED BY THE VENDOR THE NATIONAL LIBRARY REGRETS WE CAN NO LONGER PROVIDE OFF SITE ACCESS TO THIS DATABASE. ACCESS IS NOW ONLY AVAILABLE FROM WITHIN THE LIBRARY BUILDING.

I wouldn't be surprised if Origins twigged that all Australian residents have access to the NLA eresources and that as word got around their market diminished.

The same has happened to Burkes Peerage but at least that is available in print form in many libraries.

Andy

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

I'm a bit confused, how does being an Australian resident have anything to do with my problem, I live in Sussex  ;D ::) ;)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry

Sorry, Les de B  raised today the change of access for Australians and I took your comment, incorrectly, that you had emailed the National Library of Australia and hadn't had a response. I'll make sure I also read the earlier messages in future

Andy

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 10:16 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

sounds like Origins are a bad deal all round!

Kerry

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I saw an advert recently in the Your Family Magazine offering 25% off a subscription to the Origins Network so like a fool I signed up.

I might be missing something here so here goes...

I take it you have got your subscription stopped and if they have taken the money in advance they have refunded you. If so or if this isn't applicable I don't see what the problem is, yes it might be a bit naughty but I would be surprised if the small print didn't state what you were getting into.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 21:03 GMT (UK) »
No I didn't get my money back, but then I had a month for £6.75 so can't complain.  I checked and checked for small print but no the offer was 25% off.

Oh well I shall stick to findmypast, I had a really good and honest deal from them. I think!  ::)

Kerry  ;D

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy - will try that later.

Kerry, it's always very easy to join, but they make it very difficult to cancel.  :-\

An***try is the same - I had a 14 day free trial to .com.au, and when I tried to cancel via the site online, there was no [submit] button for me to send the cancellation request, so I ended up having to phone to cancel (their office is in the USA). Still, it's nice of them to offer the trial - no other companies do. I had some Origins credits when I bought Famiy Historian - they lasted about two minutes ....

Have you used your A*****ry free trial yet?

Good luck with it all anyway ...

re contacting ancestry -

go into 'help' at the top right of the page (in small letters)
then 'how to cancel a subscription' (about number two in the list)
then scroll down to 'list of contact numbers and times'

Hope this helps.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"