Author Topic: How this for a special deal!  (Read 3551 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How this for a special deal!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

Do you get to the page that says National Library of Australia, Welcome to the Origins network for Libraries? If so, go to the very top of the page and there are small links to British Origins etc thats how you get in. The other links on the pages saying About British Origins Collections etc only take you to pages about Origins, rates etc. It seems a bit ridiculous.

Andy

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Do you realise that as an Australian resident you can access the Origins Network (and quite a number of other licensed databases) online through  the National Library in Canberra for free. If you go to the link below and join. You get your card in the mail after about 5 days.

http://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard

Andy

Thanks for that information, Andy. I joined the National Library for the Gales Newspapers, and didn't know about the access to Origins - but I do now! ;D

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 08:23 GMT (UK) »
I got reply from them after sending a second email 11 days later and discovering that I could cancel the subscription through World Pay.  Mind you the second email wasn't any help, they just wanted me to send a copy of the first email to find out why it had not been answered!  ::) ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy - will try that later.

Kerry, it's always very easy to join, but they make it very difficult to cancel.  :-\

An***try is the same - I had a 14 day free trial to .com.au, and when I tried to cancel via the site online, there was no [submit] button for me to send the cancellation request, so I ended up having to phone to cancel (their office is in the USA). Still, it's nice of them to offer the trial - no other companies do. I had some Origins credits when I bought Famiy Historian - they lasted about two minutes ....

Have you used your A*****ry free trial yet?

Good luck with it all anyway ...

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I got there in the end - found it at last.

Surely if a library in Australia gives members access to Origins, then there'd be one in the UK which does the same ...  :-\

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie

I've had two free trials to Ancestry - different email addresses and 3 years in between  ;D ;D

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 November 08 02:36 GMT (UK) »
I did that too ... ;)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 November 08 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Well I've not had an email from Origins explaining their so called special offer or apologising or even acknowledging that I have cancelled my subscription.  All they were worried about was that they had received an email from me that got ignored.  ::)  Are all these websites the same, customer care does not seem to exist, I emailed Ancestry the other day re the problems with searches and never got an answer!

Kerry

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 November 08 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carla

Do you realise that as an Australian resident you can access the Origins Network (and quite a number of other licensed databases) online through  the National Library in Canberra for free. If you go to the link below and join. You get your card in the mail after about 5 days.

http://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard

Andy

i joined a few months ago but hadn't realised this was on there.
i must have a proper look around

thanks

perth :) :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.