Author Topic: GGGrandfather in Prussia  (Read 2389 times)

Offline aberdein

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GGGrandfather in Prussia
« on: Sunday 09 November 08 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Between 1851 and 1861 my gggrandfather George Corbett and his wife Ann left Durham and lived in Prussia. They had three children born there. John Joseph abt 1854, Mary abt 1857 and Heinrich abt1859. Here they are in 1861
CENSUS: 1861.21,Spital Tongues,Newcastle on Tyne,Northumberland,England
George   Corbett Head  46 Stone Mason       Born Bellingham,Northumberland
Ann            "      Wife   41                         Born Chester le Street,Co.Durham
George        "      Son   17 Engine Wright     Born Chester le Street,Co.Durham
Ann            "      Dau   15                          Born Bywell,Northumberland
Thoma s      "      Son   13 Stone Mason       Born  St.Johns,,Northumberland
Elizabeth J  ."      Dau   10                          Born Chester le Street,Co.Durham
Edward       "      Son    8                           Born Chester le Street,Co.Durham
John Jos.     "      Son    6                          Born Prussia (British Subject)
Mary           "      Dau    4                           Born Prussia (British Subject)
Henry         "      Son    2                           Born Prussia (British Subject)
I would like to know about their time in Prussia and what could have drawn them to leave Durham and travel to Prussia in the 1850`s

aberdein

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GGGrandfather in Prussia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 08 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aberdein,

I've moved your topic to the Immigrants Board.
Strictly speaking, your family aren't Immigrants, but there are a lot of "Prussia experts" on this board.

The simplest answer (or speculative supposition) is that it had to do with his work :)

Germany was way behind Britain when it came to technology and industry, and many skilled workers moved from Britain to work in Germany/Prussia in the 19th. century.

There is another (or more) topic here about textile workers going to Germany for this reason.

Any ideas where in Prussia ??
Can you get the birth certs. for the children ? 
They will probably also have been registered in Britain, and it may state where in Prussia the kids were born.
To get german certs. you need to know the exact place, as very little is online.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 November 08 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Closest I can find on the Consular birth indexes is:
Mary Corbett, Cologne, Volume 2, page 727
(1855-1859 Consular Births).

In 1871 John and Heinrich seem to list their birthplaces as Prussia West Photium? (Westphalia?)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 November 08 14:20 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1881 Census Report there were 11,139 natives of the UK residing in the "German Empire" of whom 5,219 were in Prussia.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aberdein

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 November 08 18:09 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 Heinrich does state that he was born in Westphalia. Thanks everyone for your interest

aberdein