Author Topic: Another marriage lookup please  (Read 1046 times)

Offline didowells

• RootsChat Senior
  • Wells: George 1872, Frank 1840, William 1810
    • View Profile
Another marriage lookup please
« on: Sunday 09 November 08 12:46 GMT (UK) »
So thrilled with the answer to my last request that I'm trying for another marriage lookup :D

Jane Margaret BETTS b1845 Birmingham UK, emigrated 1850.  She married unknown SANDFORD/SANFORD and had two children born 1866-1867 in New Jersey.

Would like details of that marriage but more important is her marriage to George John WELLS who was born in Kent UK 1844 - not sure when he emigrated.  They had two children Frank b1878 New York and Ruth 1880 - don't know where.  They are all on the 1880 Census in Newark, Essex, New Jersey.

Di
Wells, Oxford, Watson, Denn:  Kent & Sheffield
Crowther, Bower, Slater, Bramley, Baxter, Quarmby, Craven, Shaw, Thornley:  W Yorks
Wilkinson, Hyson/Ison:  Derbyshire
Tomlinson, Wilson, Coward, Lockwood:  Nottinghamshire
Black, Mason:  Hampshire

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another marriage lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 08 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I haven't had any luck with either marriage, but I did find George, Jane, Ruth, & Frank in Newark in the 1895 New Jersey Census.  Unfortunately, it doesn't give any information beyond gender, race, age range, and whether or not they were foreign born.  The 1900 Census (found here for free:  http://labs.familysearch.org/) shows the family still in Newark and says George & Jane had been married for 24 years.  In the 1910 Census, George, Jane & Ruth are in East Orange, NJ, and it says they had been married for 34 years.  They are still in E. Orange in 1920.  Ruth is listed as born in New Jersey.

The New Jersey State Archives does have a marriage database here, but I didn't find your people:  http://www.state.nj.us/state/darm/links/databases.html  If Jane & George married in New York State, statewide registration didn't start there until 1881.

I found passenger lists that appear to have Ruth Wells on them.

SS Fort St. George from Bermuda to NY, arriving 27 Jul. 1925
Wells, Ruth, age 45, female, single, born Newark, NJ 1880, address:  24 Whittlesey Ave., East Orange, NJ

SS Adriatic from Belfast to NY, arriving 30 Aug. 1931
Wells, Ruth Vose, age 51, single, born Newark, NJ 2 Jan. 1880, address:  24 W. Littlesey Ave., East Orange

Offline didowells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 November 08 16:28 GMT (UK) »
shellyesq

Thanks so much for looking.  They must have married in New York State but it doesn't matter - at least I know a bit more about them.

The passenger lists were interesting.  I knew Ruth had the second name of Vose (rather unusual - don't know where it came from) so that is definitely her - I think she was a teacher.

Once again - many thanks.

Di
Crowther, Bower, Slater, Bramley, Baxter, Quarmby, Craven, Shaw, Thornley:  W Yorks

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 November 08 07:45 GMT (UK) »
In case you don't have this:

From the 1860 US census for Newark, Essex County, New Jersey:

Name: Jane M Betts
Age in 1860: 16 
Birth Year: abt 1844 
Birthplace: England 
Home in 1860: Newark Ward 4, Essex, New Jersey
Post Office: Newark

Household Members: Name Age Occupation Born
Geo Betts, 40, porter house, England 
Mary A Betts, 38, , England
Jane M Betts, 16, , England 
Geo W Betts, 14, , England 
Wm Spooner, 21, blacksmith, England 

Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Newark Ward 4, Essex, New Jersey; Roll: M653_688; Page: 374; Image: 377

From the 1870 US census, in Newark, Essex County, New Jersey:

Name: Margaret J Sandford (Ancestry's index says "F" but I think it's a "J")
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
Age in 1870: 26 
Birthplace: England 
Home in 1870: Newark Ward 7, Essex, New Jersey
Race: White 
Post Office: Newark 

Household Members: Name Age Occupation Born
George Betts, 50, works in saw mftry(?), England 
Mary A Betts, 47, , England 
Margaret J Sandford, 26, dressmaker, England 
George Sandford, 5, , New Jersey
Jennie Sandford, 3, , New Jersey

Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Newark Ward 7, Essex, New Jersey; Roll: M593_881; Page: 96; Image: 194

New York Passenger Lists:
Name: George Betts
Arrival Date: 27 Jul 1850
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1820
Port of Departure: St Johns, Newfoundlands 
Ship Name: Clipper 
Port of Arrival: New York, New York 
Line: 10 
Microfilm Serial: M237 
Microfilm Roll: M237_91 
List Number: 818 

Travelling with George were Mary Ann (28), Jane (5) and George (3).

According to the census, George Wells says he was a naturalized citizen. You might want to try to order a copy of his naturalization file as it will probably have marriage information in it. Here's a link to the National Archives and Records Administration online ordering website where it costs $7.50 for the file:
http://www.archives.gov/research/order/orderonline.html
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 November 08 14:24 GMT (UK) »
According to the census, George Wells says he was a naturalized citizen. You might want to try to order a copy of his naturalization file as it will probably have marriage information in it. Here's a link to the National Archives and Records Administration online ordering website where it costs $7.50 for the file:
http://www.archives.gov/research/order/orderonline.html

The 1900 Census says George was naturalized, and the files held by NARA are since 1906, so if the census is accurate, I think the records would be held on the state or local level.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 November 08 00:12 GMT (UK) »
The 1900 Census says George was naturalized, and the files held by NARA are since 1906, so if the census is accurate, I think the records would be held on the state or local level.
NARA does have naturalization records that are pre-1906. From the NARA website:

Before September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or federal) could grant U.S. citizenship.  As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and some records have been donated to the National Archives from county, state, and local courts and may be available as original records or National Archives microfilm publications.

After 1906, the courts forwarded copies of naturalizations to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).  Naturalizations from Federal Courts are held in the NARA's regional facilities for the Federal courts for their area, and the National Archives in Washington, D.C. holds naturalization records for Federal Courts in Washington, D.C.

Unfortunately the census doesn't indicate which court a person was naturalized in and the Ancestry naturalization databases don't have New Jersey records. I haven't ordered from NARA for a while now but the last time I did they were still only charging for the file so if they didn't hold the record there was no charge. I don't know if that's changed or not.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline didowells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 November 08 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Jacquie in Canada and Shellyesq for all the info.   I will have a go and see whether I can get George's naturalization file.  Nothing ventured nothing gained ;D

Di