Author Topic: Andrew MCLUCKIE (Kippen) 1740  (Read 15089 times)

Offline DelvaP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew MCLUCKIE (Kippen) 1740
« on: Sunday 09 November 08 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Could someone help please.
Is there a way of determing whether ANDREW MCLUCKIE (bap 13.4.1740)who had children by ELIZABETH STEWART (cannot find a marraige cert)
children:
John bap 21.2.1762
Jannet bap 1.9.1764
Elizabeth bap 13.3.1766
William bap 4.5.1768
Thomas bap Dec 1770
Andrew bap 4.4.1773
George bap 28.1.1776
All children were baptised as McLuckie.  Have checked LDS Stirling and no marriage cert. - could they have been married further afield?

and CHILDREN BY JEAN MEFFIN (METHVEN)  (married 23.6.1776)
John bap 2.9.1777
James bao 29.4.1781
Elizabeth 28.3.1784
Christian 18.6.1786
Robert bap 27.4.1788
William bap 14.5.1790 - left for South Africa 1817 my ancestor.
Jean bap 8.7.1792

Is this the same ANDREW?   I have looked on a number of sites and I think it may be the same person.  Is there anyway of checking?

Thanks for your help

Delva
Bloemfontein
South Africa.
Palmer(Hampshire) Norman (Dorset) Jones (Wales) Howgego (Essex) Rhodes(Yorkshire) McLuckie (Stirling, Scotland) Ward (Ireland)

Offline Nora J.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ANDREW MCLUCKIE (KIPPEN) 1740
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 November 08 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Delva, these are my McLean daughters' McLuckie ancestors as well.

William McLuckie born 1831 at Kippen, Stirlingshire married Philippa Ann Andrew in Ontario, Canada about 1855-1856.

His parents:

James McLuckie born 1781 and Janet Archibald born 1798

James' parents we believe were:

Andrew McLuckie & Jean Methven

James would have been a brother to your ancestor William.

Where did you find all the baptisms for children of Andrew by both wives? I did not have daughter Christian/Christine or son Robert for Andrew & Jean in my files.

Would love to correspond about these common ancestors (my daughters, not mine but important to me to work on).

Have you written to John Blair who also worked on these families?

Nora in Alberta, Canada
Palmer, Foreman, Churchill, Greenhalgh, Walker, Boyce, Hawxby, Hitchcock, Eagle in ......Nottingham, Yorkshire, London, Wiltshire, Leicester

Offline DelvaP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew MCLUCKIE (Kippen) 1740
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Nora,
thanks for the reply!!   I got most of it off LDS site (Family Search)  just not sure if it is the same ANDREW though!!
My William came to South Africa in 1817 - that was before the 1820 settlers he came out with Moodie (who I believe was a Scottish minister) when he arrived he was a Cooper (barrel maker) but soon changed his trade to trading with the Blacks and he went to some places in South Africa where he was the first White man that a lot of the tribes had seen!  He later owned a farm WOODLANDS in the Eastern Cape.  He was very active in the wars in that area, supplying shelter on his farm for the British Settlers.
I have a (not so very good photo) of William taken in his later years will try to scan at a later stage!!
We stay in Bloemfontein, South Africa.

Once again thanks for replying will make contact again over the weekend.

Regards
Delva
Palmer(Hampshire) Norman (Dorset) Jones (Wales) Howgego (Essex) Rhodes(Yorkshire) McLuckie (Stirling, Scotland) Ward (Ireland)

Offline jablair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Scottish DNA - Better than Life Insurance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 October 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
Delva,

I do not believe that ANDREW MCLUCKIE (bap 13.4.1740)who had children by ELIZABETH STEWART is the same ANDREW MCLUCKIE who married JEAN MEFFIN (METHVEN).

The ANDREW MCLUCKIE who married JEAN MEFFIN (METHVEN) is the brother of ROBERT MCLUCKIE and MARGARET MCLUCKIE. MARGARET MCLUCKIE married ROBERT BLAIR, brother of my 3xgr grandfather PETER BLAIR. This ANDREW was most likely baptised on 08 Aug 1749, in Drymen, Stirlingshire. (See below).

I have copies of letters written by ROBERT MCLUCKIE and other family members to MARGARET MCLUCKIE and ROBERT BLAIR in Barnet Vermont dating from 1786 to 1818.

These letter make reference to sibling John,  Andrew,  Christie,  Elizabeth,  Janet; the death of their father sometime shortly after March 1, 1788; the death of their mother "in the first of June 91"; and other family members.

A search of ScotlandsPeople showed a JOHN MCLUCKIE buried in Kippen Apr 05,1788 and the burial of JEAN (CHRISTIAN) GILFILLAN in Kippen June 09, 1791. This would lead me to believe that ROBERT and MARGARET's parents were JOHN MCLUCKIE and JEAN (CHRISTIAN) GILFILLAN.

OPRs and Associate Session records list the follow children of  JOHN MCLUCKIE and CHRISTIAN GILFILLAN:
                                  Janet - baptised 14 Feb 1748 in Drymen, Stirlingshire
                                  Andrew - baptised 8 Aug 1749 in Drymen, Stirlingshire
                                  Thomas - baptised 22 Jan 1753 in Drymen, Stirlingshire
                                  _____ - baptised 5 Aug 1754 in Drymen, Stirlingshire
                                  John - baptised 24 Jan 1756 in Drymen, Stirlingshire
I have not been able to connect the births of Robert, Margaret, Christie, or Elizabeth to JOHN MCLUCKIE and CHRISTIAN GILFILLAN but given the time period and the fact they were members of the Associate Session this does not surprise me. One of the four could be the unnamed child baptised 5 Aug 1754.

The letters also make several references to ROBERT and MARGARET's brother ANDREW and his family, including the fact that that ANDREW died Bet. 1802–1803 leaving 7 children: John, James, Robert, William, Jean and 2 other daughters. All five of ANDREW's children named in the letters are also children of ANDREW MCLUCKIE and JEAN MEFFIN (METHVEN). Their two addition children (Christian and Elizabeth) are almost certainly the two daughters not named in the letters.

As for your William who left for South Africa, Robert writes on 23 June 1818: "Andrews youngest son in clashhead William served his prentiship to be a couper and when he was ready with it the next trade was smugling and he was taken be the gagers two tims and he was obliged to flee for it he is away to the keep of good hope".

I hope this helps.

John

Offline DelvaP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 October 11 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert
Thanks for this lovely load of information!!
I have always hoped to find a real 'naughty' ancestor and it looks like I found him!!!  Although here in South Africa he was a notable man, helped for form a school for the children and grandchildren of the 1820 Settlers and like I mentioned fought in the wars of that time.
My son, Pierre, is called by his friend 'McLuckie' and when I phoned him to tell him about the smuggling he had a good old laugh!!!!
Is Kippen near Drymen?  My great grandmother had written all of this information down (many moons ago!) and she stated that William had been born and raised in Kippen.  On his grave it also states that he was born in Kippen.   But maybe it was just folklore...who knows?
will check in on your website later.
During all my searches William is definitely the only McLuckie mentioned that arrived in South Africa at that time.

thanks so much for this info.

Offline jablair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 October 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
Delva,

I'm glad you enjoyed the story of why William went to South Africa. It's always fun to find an ancestor with a colorful past.

Drymen is about 12 miles from Kippen. If you look on my webpage http://blairgenealogy.com/Scotland/kippen.html
you'll see a map of what I refer to as the "Kippen Circle". Kippen is the red star near the center of the map and Drymen is on the left edge of the map, about half way down. The "Kippen Circle" is an area I define as rough circle of villages and/or parishes within an approximate 10 mile radius of Kippen, Stirlingshire, Scotland. I consider any Blair who lived in the “Kippen Circle” to be a potential relative.

Keep in mind that it appears that the McLuckies and Blairs in this area were apparently members of the Associate Sessions rather than the established Church of Scotland. I'm not certain of the various Associate Session parishes of that time but most of my Blairs were baptised in the Buchlyvie Associate Session (1752 – 1785) and the Associate Session of Balfron (1750 - 1752), even though they lived in Kippen.

My family history claims than my gr-gr-grandfather and his siblings were born in Paisley, Renfrewshire when they were actually baptised in Saint Ninians and Stirling, Stirlingshire.

John

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 12 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

I was very interested to read your reply to Delva about Andrew McLuckie.
I am researching my husbands McLuckie family and was wondering if you had any information on James McLuckie born in about 1781. The James we are trying to find married Christian Graham on the 29/7/1803 and was the father of John McLuckie born on 9/4/1816 in Kilsyth. John married Mary Neish on 4/6/1835 at Campsie.

What I am trying to prove is that the James McLuckie we have was the one born in 1781 and was he the son of Andrew McLuckie and Jean Meffin.

I am hoping you may have found some information on James that would help us solve this.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Pauline Mc in New Zealand

Offline jablair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 April 12 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,

I'm afraid I don't have anything that would prove that James McLuckie who married Christian Graham is the same James McLuckie, baptised 29 Apr 1781, who was the son of Andrew McLuckie and Jean Methven. I did find a marriage record on ScotlandsPeople for James McLuckie and Christian Graham married on 25 Jul 1803 in Balfron, Stirlingshire, Scotland. This COULD be the same James but the record does not indicate James' parents.

I also found a marriage records for James McLuckie and Janet Archibald, on 08 and 10 Dec 1822 in St Ninians and Kippen, Stirlingshire, Scotland. This COULD also be the same James but the records do not indicate James' parents.

It's possible that either or both of these could be James McLuckie son of Andrew McLuckie and Jean Methven.

I have no information on James' children.

John

Offline Nora J.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 April 12 20:23 BST (UK) »
Pauline where and when did your James McLuckie die?

My McLean daughters are direct desc.'s of the James McLuckie who married Janet Archibald.

Nora in Alberta, Canada
Palmer, Foreman, Churchill, Greenhalgh, Walker, Boyce, Hawxby, Hitchcock, Eagle in ......Nottingham, Yorkshire, London, Wiltshire, Leicester