Author Topic: Andrew MCLUCKIE (Kippen) 1740  (Read 15085 times)

Offline Nora J.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew MCLUCKIE (Kippen) 1740
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 April 12 14:28 BST (UK) »
The missing child is Peter McLuckie born May 24, 1818 at Campsie, not at Kilsyth.

So your McLuckie's stayed in Scotland then- until when? when did they moved to England?

Thanks from Nora
Palmer, Foreman, Churchill, Greenhalgh, Walker, Boyce, Hawxby, Hitchcock, Eagle in ......Nottingham, Yorkshire, London, Wiltshire, Leicester

Offline Nora J.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 April 12 14:35 BST (UK) »
And John yes I did mean to say James and Janet went to Canada- silly me, here I was wondering where Janet died, and speculating it might have been in Scotland or on the boat etc. but she and James had two more children born in Ontario, Canada, so she must have died in same place.

Nora
Palmer, Foreman, Churchill, Greenhalgh, Walker, Boyce, Hawxby, Hitchcock, Eagle in ......Nottingham, Yorkshire, London, Wiltshire, Leicester

Offline jablair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Scottish DNA - Better than Life Insurance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 April 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline and Nora,

Deterimining the parents of James McLuckie who married Christian Graham and James Blair who married Janet Archibald may be very difficult as their were several James McLuckies born between 1771 and 1800 in the area in question. In fact there were two James born (or baptised) in 1781. Below is a list of James McLuckies born or baptised between 1771 and 1880. Any one or two of these could the James we've been discussing.

C: 22 Dec 1771   James   Alexander McLucky & Helen Cowan           Larbert, Stirling
B: 6 Nov 1774   James   Andrew McLuckie & Jean Buchanan           Glasgow, Lanark
C: 29 Apr 1781   James   Andrew McLuckie & Jean COWAN or Methvin   Kippen, Stirling
C: 13 Sep 1781   James   Thomas McLuckie & Mary Heggie           Airth, Stirling
C: 26 Oct 1783   James   James McLucky & Janet Nuckle           Falkirk, Stirling
C: 20 Feb 1791   James   Alexander McLucky & Helen Rankin   Larbert, Stirling
B: 2 May 1791   James   Thomas McLuckie & Janet Waterston   Glasgow, Lanark
C: 10 Jun 1793   James   William McLuckie & Margaret McAlaster   Drymen, Stirling
C: 8 Mar 1795   James   Colin McLuckie & Agnes Rae           Polmont, Stirling
B: 10 May 1800   James   Thomas McLuckie & Christian Ferguson   Glasgow, Lanark

My connection to this thread is through Robert Blair and Margaret McLuckie. Robert was my 3rd great grand uncle, brother of my 3rd great grandfather. Robert and Margaret were the first of my Blair line to come to America in 1785.

Margaret McLuckie had several brothers and sisters including Robert McLuckie and Andrew McLuckie. Andrew married Jean Methven. Andrew and Jean had several children including James McLuckie baptised on 29 April 1781 in Kippen. This James may be the same James we're discussing in this thread.

Several years ago we found about 30 letters in the Vermont Historical Society written to Robert Blair in Barnet Vermont. These letters were written by family members and friends from 1786 to 1818. Several of these letters were written by Robert McLuckie and other McLuckies and discussed family members in Scotland.

I've been going through these letters today I've come to the conclusion that James McLuckie who married Christian Graham is not the son of Andrew McLuckie and Jean Methven. In a letter dated Aug 1816 Robert mentions that James is living in Arnfinlay and his youngest sister Jean is keeping house. Again in June 1818 Robert says that James and Jean the youngest daughter (of Andrew) are in Arnfinlay. There is no mention of James having a wife in any of the letters.

It's still possible that my James married Janet Archibald but we may never know for certain.

John

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 April 12 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

I think the most likely James McLuckie on the list is either the one with parents Thomas McLuckie and Mary Haggie or James McLucky and Janet Nuckle. James married Christian Graham in 1803 so a birth for him in 1781 or 1783 would be about right. I will work on the first set of parents and hopefully I may find something that could tie in with my family.

Thank you so much for your help.

Pauline

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 April 12 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Nora,

Thank you for the sending the son of James and Christian. I don't know how I missed Peter.

James McLuckie and Christian Graham had a son John born on 9 April 1816 in Kilsyth.
John married Mary Neish in 1835 in Campsie. John was a Blacksmith and died in Glasgow in 1894. They had a son William born in 1837/38 in Campsie.
William married Janet Watson on 21 June 1861 in Kilmarnock. William was an Iron Finisher.William died in 1887 in Kilmarnock.They had a son George born 1 March 1874 in Kilmarnock.
George moved to England between 1891 and 1900. George married Ethel Maud Hardstaff on the 19 April 1900 in Dartford, Kent. George's occupation was a Cycle Maker in High St, Erith, Kent. George died  in 1945 in Chelsea. They had a son George born 1 May 1905 in Erith, Kent. This George McLuckie is my husbands father. He died in New Zealand in 1967.

Sorry I probably have not explained it very well.

Pauline

Offline Rmcl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 03:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all

As Nora has indicated, James McLuckie and Janet Archibald came to Hastings County Ontario Canada.   (They were married in 1822, James was reported as 76 in the 1851 census in Canada.   So I have it that  James was 46 to 47 ish when he got married.  Janet was 24. (based on secondary material))   

I have long wondered that given James was getting married so late in life, if this was his second marriage.

When I looked at potential matches, from Mr. Blair's web page/database (that has been a great help to me...thank you!) I offer the best fit is James having married Christina Graham in 1803.   I see children from a James McLuckie/Christina Graham  marriage from 1804 to 1818.  Which would support a second marriage in 1822 to Janet Archibald.

Lastly, given the 1851 Canadian census report of James being 76, I have also thought that the best match (from Mr. Blair's data base) for the birth of James was Nov 1774   (parents Andrew McLuckie and Jean Buchanan)

Except for the arrival of James Mc and Janet A in Ontario Canada....the rest of the connection is supposition....but it seems to fit.

I welcome your collective thoughts

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 June 12 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Rmcl,

Welcome to RootsChat

I was very interested in the information you posted on James McLuckie and Janet Archibald. From John Blair's list of births for James McLuckie I had narrowed my search down to the first two. The James born in 1771 only because his father was Alexander and James McLuckie and Christian Graham called one of their sons Alexander.

The second James born in 1774 with the information you have provided looks a very good match. James and Christian first son James born in 1804 I cannot find any information on and think he died young so it seems likely when he married for the second time he named his first son James also.Otherwise all the names of the children born in Scotland are different.

Can you tell me please if there is an occupation on the 1851 census for James McLuckie. On his son John's marriage certificate in 1855 it states his father's occupation was a Forrester and in 1855 he was deceased.

Also can you tell me the names of the children born in Canada please.

We will solve this one yet.

Pauline Mc

Offline Rmcl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 June 12 04:48 BST (UK) »
Pauline

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm new to genealogy.

In 1851 census, James (76) (widower) was living in rural Huntington Twp, Hastings County, Ontario, Canada.  (Just west of the current hamlet of Ivanhoe).   He was shown as a farmer....but I presume anyone living on a farm was considered a farmer. 

The 1851 census shows his son, James Jr (26) is on the farm next door.  Also his daughters (Jean (Jane) (25)  and Janet (Jannet) (23) appear to have married brothers (Harvey's) and living on the farm on the opposite side to their father.   

In 1851 Jame's son William was also in Hastings County working as a laborer.

Census shows children born in Canada were John (15) and Chistiannah (Christie Ann) (13).  (Note John's tombstone would indicate he was born in 1838 ...died 1860 at 21 years 10 months but I am convinced it is accurate). 

Members of Janet Archibald's family are also in Hastings County in 1851 nearby.  (within a few kilometres)

Lastly, John, Jane (and husband), Janet (and husband) are buried in the Archibald family cemetery (head stones clearly visible) in Hastings County.  I speculate/think Janet Archibald (and if so, I presume James Sr) is also buried there but the head stone has become illegible.  I hope some day to be able to prove this.

I hope this helps.   

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 June 12 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for all the wonderful information. It was a big help.

I am a little concerned that we now have a family with two sons called John. My husband's GrGr Grandfather John was born in 1816 and another son John born in 1835 so I am beginning to think maybe this is not my McLuckie family. Such a pity as it all seemed to fit in place.

Thank you once again. Good luck with your researching. It becomes very addictive.

Pauline McLuckie