Author Topic: Andrew MCLUCKIE (Kippen) 1740  (Read 15086 times)

Offline jablair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Scottish DNA - Better than Life Insurance
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew MCLUCKIE (Kippen) 1740
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 April 12 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Nora,

Do you know if your James McLuckie who married Janet Archibald is the son Andrew McLuckie and Jean Methven? I suspect they are the same but can't find any source to prove it.

Thanks,
John

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 April 12 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Nora,

I have not been able to find a death for either my James McLuckie or Christian (Graham) McLuckie.

I found a death for a Christian McLuckie in 1818 in Glasgow City but if I remember correctly it was for an 8 year old child.

Pauline in NZ.

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 April 12 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. I think I have gone as far as I can with my McLuckie family and will just have to be content with John's parents being James McLuckie and Christian Graham. There are two marriages for James McLuckie and Christian Graham in 1803 four days apart. Are they the same couple who married in two different places or two different couples. I guess that is something I will never find out.

Thank you again.

Pauline

Offline jablair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 April 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,

They are the same couple. What you call marriages are actually the posting of the marriage banns (intention to marry). It was very common to see the banns recorded twice, once in the parish of the bride and once in the parish of the groom. The actual marriage would normally be a short time after the posting of the banns and is often not found in the OPRs.

The actual entry for James and Christian on 25 July 1803 in Balfron reads "McLucky James in the Parish of Old Kilpatrick, and Christian Graham in this Parish entered their names for proclamation of Banns."

I don't have the image for the the July 29, Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton entry but I'm certain it would be similar to the one above.

The same situation exists for the marriage of James McLuckie and Janet Archibald, on 08 and 10 Dec 1822 in St Ninians and Kippen, Stirlingshire, Scotland.

John

Offline Nora J.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 April 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
John I have nothing to prove that "my" James was Andrew's son, although I believe that he was, based on the location thing- he being at Kippen, while Pauline's James was at Kilsyth.

John (and his wife Janet Archibald) travelled with their children sometime between 1831 and 1836 to Canada. I expect they landed in Quebec and made their way to Ontario where they resided in Hastings County. James senior was alive for the 1851 census but I cannot find him in 1861 so suspect he died in 1851-1861 time frame.

I don't know where or when Janet died- it is possible she died in Scotland, on the boat, in Quebec, possibly in Ontario...she was not on the 1851 census and James senior was listed as a widower.

Will do some more digging this morning and see if I can find anything new.

Pauline I have names of seven children for your James and his wife Christian Graham, and their dates of birth- do you have all of that info already?

Nora in Alberta

Palmer, Foreman, Churchill, Greenhalgh, Walker, Boyce, Hawxby, Hitchcock, Eagle in ......Nottingham, Yorkshire, London, Wiltshire, Leicester

Offline Nora J.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 April 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
And message to Pauline in New Zealand- don't ever give up, even in the past two years I have found new info that I never thought I would find ten years ago. Ancestry.com is posting more and more databases, more and more old books and records are appearing online too.

You are in New Zealand, correct? Did you have McLuckie ancestors then who went to New Zealand? Can you give us a few more details about your ancestors? Maybe we can find something for you if we know more about them.

Thanks from Nora
Palmer, Foreman, Churchill, Greenhalgh, Walker, Boyce, Hawxby, Hitchcock, Eagle in ......Nottingham, Yorkshire, London, Wiltshire, Leicester

Offline jablair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 April 12 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Nora,

Finding PROOF in Scotland during this time period is very difficult. I have the OPR image for James and Janet in St Ninian and it only gives their names and the date. The OPR image for James and Christian in Balfron is just as sketchy.

When you say John and Janet went to Canada I assume you mean James and Janet. I would appriciate any information you have on James and Janet's descendants. I noticed you mentioned having the names of the children of James and Christian. I would be interested in those names too.

I have James' family (assuming he the son of Andrew and Jean Jean Methven) back to John McLuckie and Christian Gilfillan.

If this is the same James he is my nephew of wife of 3rd great grand uncle. I'm not sure how that makes us related.

John

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 April 12 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thank you for the information about the two marriage entries for my James McLuckie and Christian Graham. I am a lot happier about that now. I did think it was to much of a coincidence for it to be two different couples.

Thanks again

Pauline

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 April 12 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Nora,

I have these six children's births for James McLuckie and Christian Graham. I could not find the seventh so would love to have the one I am missing please.
James born 13 November 1804
Marion born 13 February 1806
Elizabeth born 5 July 1809
Alexander born 10 November 1810
Christian born 25 December 1813
John born 9 April 1816

My husband and his parents came to NZ in 1960. They were living in London before that. I have found plenty of records for his family back in Scotland as far back as the 1800's before that it has started to become very difficult with either no records or little information on the records to prove that I have the correct family. There were a lot of McLuckie's in Scotland by the 1850's. Only a few of us in NZ though.

Many thanks for your help.

Pauline Mc