Author Topic: 'Fling'?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Getting back to my Roots.
    • View Profile
'Fling'?
« on: Thursday 03 February 05 22:16 GMT (UK) »

My Bro'-in-Law has (James Smith 'Fling') in his Fam. Hist...does anyone know what this means please.   His Ancestors hail from 'Marnoch'.....and some are buried there....his GGGrandfather was a Farmer at 'North Mains of Ardmaillie' which I believe is an area in Marnoch....
Any Information would be most appreciated....he would like to trace his Tartan and original Family (Clan) Name before the forceput of Smith, PLEASE.....

Michael, 8)   
My email is not working sorry
GILBY, Lowestoft and Cleethorpes.
COO, Horncastle/Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
MADIN, Sheffield/Cleethorpes.
AYERS, Yorkshire, Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Clark, Cheltenham, Hull, Cleethorpes.

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 'Fling'?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 February 05 20:58 GMT (UK) »

Just to maybe ask a further question Please....Would there have been a 'Clan' Name or Tartan in the surrounding areas of 'Marnoch' in the 1800s....

Was there an obligation to change  ones Family Name or Clan Name during those times?....because everyone seems to be called 'Smith'......surely that would not have been a common Scottish Surname.....

I know I'm clutching at straws here but any small clue would be appreciated greatly.....

Michael Gilby

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 February 05 23:03 GMT (UK) »
"Fling" could be a tee-name. Tee-names are bestowed on families with common names to distinguish the different families. Of course it might just be an ordinary nickname.

Ardmeallie House (modern spelling) is about half a mile north-west of Bridge of Marnoch. Go to www.streetmap.co.uk and search for Ardmeallie to see where it is. Then zoom in and you will see a little pink square above the 'd' of Ardmeallie. This is North Mains. It isn't labelled on the Ordnance Survey Landranger/streetmap 1:50,000 series, but it is on the 1:25,000 Explorer. You can also find it at www.old-maps.co.uk by searching for grid reference  358682,850758.

As for clans, forget it. Most Scots have no clan affiliation. Although there were clan-held territories in Aberdeenshire and Banffshire, it isn't clan heartland and someone named Smith probably had no connection to any clan.

There was never any obligation to change one's surname, though many people involved in the Jacobite Risings of 1715, 1719 and especially 1745/6 did change their surnames to avoid persecution afterwards.

Smith is an occupational name, so it probably tells you that around the time when surnames were evolving your man had an ancestor who was a (black)smith.

The Gaelic for 'smith' is 'gobha', whence the surname Gow. There is a Smith/Gow tartan (like all contemporary tartans, it's a relatively modern design; there are next to no designs known to date back beyond 1745) so if you like it, and want to wear a tartan, go ahead. If you don't like it, just pick one you do like and enjoy it. There are no laws about wearing tartan.

HTH

Forfarian
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 February 05 23:17 GMT (UK) »

Thank you very much Forfarian.....I think your explanation is the best he is likely to get on that particular query......

Many Thanks for your interest.

Very Best Regards, Michael.