Author Topic: Grosvenor st Oldham  (Read 6544 times)

Offline MISS MARPLES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grosvenor st Oldham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 February 09 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood and Gaille,  I have not looked at the 1911 census  yet , but must give it a go,
also I will try and find more info on the Convent of Mercy  and Wernth Grange as my mother was born in Oldham  it might be significant,
dont know what split into two topics means either.
thanks again MM :)
AITKEN/AITKIN, BELL, BUSHBY, RITSON.  CLEAR, CLEWORTH, BATE, HAMBLEY, MASON, WELSH/ WALSH, BRADY, LAMB.

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Just came across this old post, are you still looking for info?  I know about Werneth Convent as I went to school there.  The Convent was run by Sisters of Mercy and was on a road called Werneth Grange.  The nursing home was a little bit further up the road towards the fire station (as someone else mentioned).  http://www.ourladyofmercy.org.uk/whatwedo/dsp-default.cfm?loadref=179   I believe the school has now closed but the nuns are still there.
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline MISS MARPLES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 February 16 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, yes I am still looking for info but not really got any further and nearly ready to gave up,  so  I am really  grateful  for your post, it has given me some incentive  to start to delve a bit more. thanks again. :)
AITKEN/AITKIN, BELL, BUSHBY, RITSON.  CLEAR, CLEWORTH, BATE, HAMBLEY, MASON, WELSH/ WALSH, BRADY, LAMB.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 February 16 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Looking at your first post, you mention Grosvenor Street and Rochdale Road.
Was Grosvenor Street the home address or place of birth?
As has been said, Grosvenor Street was a lodging house in 1901.
The local hospital used the address 449 Rochdale Road.

Have you found your family in 1911? Were they local to Oldham- just that I can't see Margaret in Oldham in earlier censuses.

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MISS MARPLES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 February 16 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,
Thanks for your post, 8, Grosvenor st Oldham  is were my mother Sabina was born   on her birth cert  and it states residence is Rochdale road Oldham  the number is hard to read but looking at it again it now looks like 1149 and not 49 as i said before, the certificate i have is a photo copy with no fathers name just a line through  and it is a bit smudged, thanks for your time
Regards
 Margaret.   

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 February 16 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I had the same kind of thing with the address on Rochdale Road.  I had a relative who died at this address.  Someone kindly pointed out that 449 Rochdale Road was the hospital, they used to just put the number on documents instead of Hospital - just to confuse us!
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline patchwitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 11:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry to reply to such an old thread but part of my family lived at 10 Grosvenor Street Oldham on the 1871 and 1881 census returns. The family name is Skellorn (also written as Skillhorn and lots of other variations). The family matriarch was Jane Skellorn nee Farrer baptised 2 Feb 1917 in Old Hutton Westmorland.