Author Topic: Can't read the handwriting yet again...  (Read 9354 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Can't read the handwriting yet again...
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 December 10 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Possibly 1802, Mydrim, the baptism is 1805, but can't prove it's his.

1841- born and living Mydrim with wife Mary [LEWIS] and children (Easter, Hannah, Phebe, Amy, John), dob 1806

1851- born Mydrim, living Llanwinio with wife Mary and children (Amy and John), dob 1802

1861- born Mydrim, living Llanwinio with wife Mary, child Amy and grandchild Amy JAMES, dob 1802

1871- born Mydrim, living Llanwinio with wife Jane [JAMES], dob 1802

1881- born Mydrim, living Llanwinio with wife Jane and children Jane and James, dob 1802.

1891- born Mydrim,  living Llanwinio, widower, with stepdaughter Hannah JAMES, son James, dob 1800, imbicile.

Died 1895, aged 94 (1801)

Offline richenry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 December 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
going by the names in your line and the names in mine its very probable that they are connected, as i prviously indicated i think that your james b.1882 and my william b.1809 may well have been brothers.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 December 10 18:24 GMT (UK) »
:)

Unfortunately this far back, proving it is more of a problem. Jiminwales did try to look up baptisms in this line at Carmarthen Records Office and couldn't find a trace of them, not even the possible one for James I found online. I'm not sure where to look next.

Offline richenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 December 10 18:40 GMT (UK) »
probably church and chapel parish records, but which ones ??? thats the problem. anyway good luck, if i make any progress will get back in touch.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 December 10 22:01 GMT (UK) »
very difficult to read, can see that she is the daughter of william and amy griffiths of pant y coed, llanwinio - which is the address i have for the family, looks like elisabeth died 27 apr 1832 or 1839 2yrs old ?? where is the grave ?

It's near Gelliwen. SN267235. The remains of Pantycoed are located on the northern side of the forestry haulage track. The gravestone is resting against a tree at the rear of the former property.

I think it's 1839 age 2 but somone has amended to 12 (probably because there was an Elisabeth aged 11 at Pantycoed in 1851). The story is that the child had to be buried in the garden due to prolonged bad winter weather.

There is a death of Elizabeth Griffiths in 1839 (Jun Q)
Carmarthen volume 26 page361

Perhaps there were 2 Elisabeths?  :-\

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Just checked with someone who's been there recently and I'm told the date close up is 27 April 1852 aged 2. The poem on the gravestone refers to a sick infant. possibly it was a mistake by the stonemason and the stone was rejected. A former Gelliwen resident said that Elisabeth was interred at Rhydyceisiad Chapel near Llangynin.

However I cannot find a death notice in 1852 Jun Q in Carmarthen district, only Newcastle Emlyn.  :-\

modified - the date is not 1852 but probably 1839.