Author Topic: Clutching at straws  (Read 5397 times)

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
Clutching at straws
« on: Monday 10 November 08 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone able to take this following information any further for me? I feel that I am perhaps clutching at straws now trying to take the family history further back than has been achieved..

Principal Robert Arford/Allwood/Alyard/Allard Born Rattlesden, Suffolk. One marriage recorded possibly Margaret. Details of children: James Allwood place Wetheringsett, Suffolk, Sarah Allwood 1747 Rattlesden, Joseph Allwood 1750 Rattlesden.

Any assistance would be of course most welcomed.
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clutching at straws
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that Rattlesden is either a black hole or the entrance to another dimension, because people disappear without trace, or spring fully-formed without any obvious earlier history.  I have been trying to get further back than John Pearle, Yeoman of Rattlesden, b. 1541 for many years, but with no success.  V irritating.  I'll look at my list of Pearl(e)s and their partners in Rattlesden to see if there are any links, but don't hold your breath!

Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Greensleeves, you may be right about Rattlesden! It is not far from Woolpit where there really was (so the story goes) a big hole from which emerged two green children who were from another land:  we know not where!
Hephzibah
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Oh Hephzibah, I had forgotten the story of the Green Children.  This obviously explains where our ancestors have gone - or came from!  Brilliant story, though, isn't it - and supposedly true.   They don't make them like that any more!  A friend of mine who lives near Woodbridge says that UFOs come out of the Woolpit hole, from another dimension.....
Best wishes - and feeling rather glad I'm living in Wales at the moment!
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 November 08 10:43 GMT (UK) »
OK, Ok....so what's the story of the Aliens? I cannot believe my family history ends with Black Holes and Aliens! Never happened yet on 'Who Do You Think You Are' There must be records for Rattlesden somewhere!
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 November 08 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gralorn - The reason why 'Who Do you think you are' has so far failed to feature black holes, green children and aliens is - I would suggest -  because they have yet to centre their investigations on Woolpit and its environs - particularly Rattlesden.  I fear your Allwoods and derivatives, and my Pearls, Parles, Pearles et al have all got lost in the vortex.  I am very tempted to make a progress towards Suffolk to have a look around Rattlesden - but if I do, I will  make sure I have a stout  rope around my waist before I go in!!!
Regards,
Greensleeves

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 November 08 21:02 GMT (UK) »
A stout rope around the waist, gosh is it as potentially as dangerous as that Greensleeves? Have you been to Suffolk before? I have often thought of going as my family tree ends there at the moment as you would have seen by the requests. Maybe make it next summer all going well, but will watch out for that 'Black Hole'. There must be records kept somewhere though surely, it just does not make sense that they have just vanished. Strange goings on in Suffolk, just does not sound right somehow, it never cropped up with Scully or Mulder !!
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline IndisVanyar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great grandfather James Nevitt 1850-1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 November 08 21:48 GMT (UK) »
http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/rattlesden.htm

A very picturesque black hole :) with a delightful church and a couple of nice pubs.

Nell
Kitching Elsbury Lawrence Last Ellington Govier Pawsey Rice Nevitt Napier Seymour

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 November 08 22:48 GMT (UK) »
A stout rope around the waist, gosh is it as potentially as dangerous as that Greensleeves? Have you been to Suffolk before? I have often thought of going as my family tree ends there at the moment as you would have seen by the requests. Maybe make it next summer all going well, but will watch out for that 'Black Hole'. There must be records kept somewhere though surely, it just does not make sense that they have just vanished. Strange goings on in Suffolk, just does not sound right somehow, it never cropped up with Scully or Mulder !!

Be afraid, be very afraid. ::) :o ;D ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk