Author Topic: Clutching at straws  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Clutching at straws
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham

Also what exactly is Base Born?

Base born is an euphemism for a child born to a mother who was not married.

I'm really still trying to find a Robert married to a Margaret.

As the Rattleden records you downloaded were clearly not complete you may need to consider buying them from the Suffolk Record Office if no one who has access to them can help with this marriage.  You need only buy the years that you are interested in. If you do not own a fiche viewer, you should be able to use one at your local library. 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,129613.0.html

Rick :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Who may have access to these Parish Records, its not that I'm not willing to buy them, but will I find what I'm looking for as it seems they've been transcribed but show no sign of Robert Allwood/Allord/who was born Rattlesden, then supposedly married to a Margaret and their children Sarah & Joseph who were also born in Rattlesden 1747,1750. They then must move to Wetheringsett where their son James Allwood is born. It's this James (hopefully)who marries Mary Potter in May 1773 and then my 'Family Tree' blossoms forthwith. Is there anyone you know who could find this link for me perhaps?

Regards

Graham
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Graham

Others may have bought the SRO fiche.  These are not transcriptions, they are copies of the original registers. You really need to check the original registers to be able to exclude Rattlesden conclusively.  However, it may be worth checking Wetheringsett first.  Lookups from the Wetheringsett Parish Records (originals not transcriptions) are available from The Suffolk Surname List.

http://www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk/

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a look at Wetheringsett first then Rick, thanks for the advice....appreciated.

Graham
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 November 08 10:55 GMT (UK) »
No luck I'm afraid.  I checked the Wetheringsett marriages and baptism from 1742 to 1750.  No ALLWOOD or variants

The above message was received from David Weston the authority on the Wetheringsett parish Registers...so I'm clearly back at the proverbial brick wall it seems unless someone has any more advice. I really need to know who James Allwood/Allard's parents were, his baptism would solve this hopefully. We know factually that he married Mary Potter in 1773 at All Saints Wetheringsett and that he and she were both single and of the Parish. So near yet so far. We know that James dies in 1808 and Mary in 1810. Oh its so frustrating at times..... 'Family History!!'
 :( :( :'( :'( :(
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen