Author Topic: Clutching at straws  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Keeweegal

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Clutching at straws
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 November 08 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gralorn,    ;)

I too have found many 'BLACK HOLES' in my family tree,  but that never stopped me from trying.....Good luck.

I have visited Suffolk and thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality of the people and its absolutely beautiful villages and countryside.....the only 'holes' I found it difficult to get out of were the ones with 'Greene King' hanging from the door.

I am sure that Suffolk Sue will know what I mean!!    :o :o

The best of British in going back further.   :D

Kimberly

Offline kabeja

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 November 08 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that Rattlesden is either a black hole or the entrance to another dimension, because people disappear without trace, or spring fully-formed without any obvious earlier history.  I have been trying to get further back than John Pearle, Yeoman of Rattlesden, b. 1541 for many years, but with no success.  V irritating.  I'll look at my list of Pearl(e)s and their partners in Rattlesden to see if there are any links, but don't hold your breath!

Greensleeves

Hello Greensleeves, I'm interested in your Pearl family although i think i'd like to stay away from Rattlesden if possible.
My interest is that i have a Harriet Pearl born c1827 in Sicklesmere, Great Whelnethnam, Suffolk. She married Abraham Julian Sharp {my G G Grandfather} who was born in Risby, Suffolk in 1824. They married August 1847 at Great Whelnetham. All i know about Harriet is that her parents were Henry Pearl c1808 from Chelsworth, Suffolk and Elizabeth Richardson c1811 from Thurston ? Suffolk.
Henry Pearls parents i think were Jeremiah Pearl c1785 unknown place, possibly Suffolk and Mary Frost c1785, again unknown birthplace.
Do any of the above names, places or dates correlate to any of your Pearls ? If so would it be possible for you to share your information with me please.
Many thanks,
Kabeja.
Suffolk... Sharp.
Durham... Moody, Clark(e), OŽNeil(l), Sharp,

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 November 08 20:28 GMT (UK) »
IndisVanyar - Yes Rattlesden does have a beautiful church, and I would like to visit it one day, particularly as my Pearl(e)s were married there going back to the mid 16th century and probably beyond. Curiously enough, though, the children were always baptised at Brettenham, which seems a trifle contrary.
I was born in Ipswich and hence am a Suffolk girl myself, and I am sure Suffolk*Sue will confirm that Suffolk has a long history of the supernatural.... anyone seen Black Shuck lately then?
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 November 08 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kabeja - I have looked in my tree but can't find any definite matches.  However, have you looked in the cosford-database (try googling it if you haven't visited it before).  I've just had a look under Chelsworth and can see Jeremiah Pearl and Mary Frost, so it might be a good idea trawling through the villages listed there.  I am sure that these Pearls are linked to mine, but as yet can't prove anything.  My Pearl(e)s (aka Purle) tended to cluster round Rattlesden, Brettenham and Hitcham since 1541 (my earliest record). My mother was born in Brettenham in 1917 so you can see the family didn't get about much!  Would be interested to hear if you find out any more.
Regards
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 November 08 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I have heard "Pearls of Wisdom", not sure if Wisdom is in Suffolk though!! That's quite an impressive church in Rattlesden and I find it very hard to believe that such a church did not maintain it's records of marriages, forwarding them on to the relevant authority in it's time. So the USAAF were around there during the war, hence why I feel the black hole stories have originated. Not far from where I am located is 'Cley Hill' near Warminster which has more official records than any other place in the UK for UFO sightings, but then the MOD is all over the surrounding Salisbury Plains!!!! This does not find my Black Hole though for Allwood/Allard....Where, oh where, can I look next?
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 November 08 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Ah, Gralorn, I have a very small snippet for you which might (or might not) be of use.  Extracts from the Rattlesden parish registers can be found on the Fuller family history site (fullerfamilyhistory), as well as a huge amount of other data.  I had a rummage round in the Rattlesden  Baptisms and found: "10/10/1723 Thomas Allord base born of Elizabeth Allord".  Don't know if that has anything to do with your elusive family, but poor Lizzie might be its black sheep....  As the spelling is a bit haphazard it is quite possible that it is the same family.
Regards
Greensleeves

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 November 08 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Cannot wait to look into this, but have to take her Ladyship shopping first, sounds good to me though, is this the breakthrough one wonders??

Thanks Greensleeves.

Graham
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 November 08 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham

Rattlesden PRs 1559 - 1758 can be downloaded at The Suffolk Surname List.

http://www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk/

Select "Parish Records to download" from the menu on the left hand side.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 November 08 20:16 GMT (UK) »
That was great Rick, 9 baptisms and 5 burials, one actually an Allard as well. No marriages though, also all the baptisms have the parents as just 'John', they do not show a wife/partner which is quite confusing to me. Also what exactly is Base Born? I suppose I'm really still trying to find a Robert married to a Margaret. This all just looks to right though if you know what I mean, its translating it somehow or another. Did notice a lot of Pearle's being buried!
Have made a note of all this info, but now not sure what to do with it. Who was John, Who did he wed are the questions I suppose, when and where?

I'm still clutching that straw it seems.....but a little happier, Thanks  :-*
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen