Author Topic: Fraser Crailinghall  (Read 3050 times)

Offline PeterRG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fraser Crailinghall
« on: Tuesday 11 November 08 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Looking for help in unravelling the Frasers of Crailinghall.  John Richard Fraser my 2 x great grandfather was the son of Thomas Fraser and unknown. He had a sister Agnes who married George Augustus Brigstocke. Did he have any other siblings? He was born about 1807, married Mary in 1831 and died in India in 1862.  John Richard and Mary had nine children born in India. She is shown in one source as having a father named Thomas and in another source a father named James.  Can anyone provide any further information on the family?  Who did Thomas marry (it could have been Agnes Heriot), who were his parents? who were Mary's parents? etc.  I'd be grateful for any help.  Thank you.

Offline toria33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fraser Crailinghall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 15:16 BST (UK) »
Dear Peter,

According to my records the John Richard Fraser you are referring to was the husband of Mary Fraser a sister to the Agnes you describe. There was a John Fraser that died at age 46 who was a brother to Agnes, he was a farmer. There were quite a few brothers and sisters children to Thomas Fraser & Agnes Herriot. Thomas Fraser (the father to Thomas Fraser mentioned) married Agnes Gray, then married Jean Hardie and had 2 more children. From my notes John Richard Fraser is a cousin of his wife. He worked for the East India company and their children were born in India. There is no record of his birth. Maybe either James or Richard Fraser could be potential fathers. The best place may be to see if the East India Company has any records. Which I have not done and am not aware if any member of my family has taken on this task yet.

Offline M Carter

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
              Thomas Fraser and Agnes Herriot had 7 children.  Janet born 1810, Agnes 1811, Mary 1814, Margaret 1816, Thomas 1818, James 1820 and Isabella 1821 all born Jedburgh parish.   The family were probably using the Scottish naming system.  Thomas's parents ought to be a Thomas Fraser and Agnes  ? .   Agnes's parents a James Herriot and Janet  ? .   The births of these children can be found on Scotlandspeople.
M Carter
Telfer, Mair, Andison, Elliot, Murray, Turnbull Castleton.  Riddell, Hawick.
Bell, Ewes, Langholm area.
Martin, Wilson, Elliot. Teviothead.

Offline PeterRG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 August 10 15:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Toria33 and M Carter - all this indormation helps put leaves on the family tree.  I have some of this information but it is always good to get corroborating information so thanks to both of you.
Toria33, would you mind sharing the information you have on John Richard's relationship with his wife if I give you my private e-mail address?  I have done a fair amount of reserach on the Indian connection and have notes from various websites from India and have done quite a bit of looking at microfiches from the LDS church in Salt Lake City - but as I said above it wonderful to have the corroborating information.

Once again, to both of you.
Peter

Offline toria33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 September 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Of course I can share the information I have. My only issue has been verifying what I have as there are many doubts in the tree that I go.
I have taken photos of the trees and some of the letters that varying members of the family have. The by far the most complicated and messy is the Fraser one.

toria33