Author Topic: Chapman Family Prestbury  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chapman Family Prestbury
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 March 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

As I explained in my personal message to you, I was only helping you with dates and connection that I could find and that the Chapman family is not part of mine at all.  There may well be someone out there that is looking for this information though.

You have moved on quite a lot on your own but if there is anything that I can help with, please let me know.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Offline njb plhs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the farms of Prestbury and have found a 'Chapmans farm' on a census but no other ref so far.  Then I found Robert Chapman occupying meadow lands in the parish, then I found you on Rootschat.  I am Sec of Prestbury Local History Society and would be interested in anything further.  If we are referring to the same person I suspect that he was running a stables which took on the name of a farm.

Offline PeterRG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi: 
Robert Chapman was born in 1826 died in 1893.  He married Mary Claudine Hogg who was born 1832 and died 1897.  He is shown in two censuses as being a dealer in horses which would imply this is the family you are interested in.
Robert and Mary had several children including my great grandmother Mary Claudine Chapman.  They lived in a house on Prestbury Road called Oaklands which was still being used about six years ago but by then had been divided into two family homes.  I suspect it is still being used as it was in excellent condition. 
I have attached the information I have on him and his family with the sources.  Please let me know if you need anything else and I'll see what else I can dig up. 
Thanks, 
Peter

Offline njb plhs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for a prompt and helpful reply.  I wonder if you can help with the following points.  In 1853 a sale of some Prestbury properties was held and included 'pasture and meadow lands occupied by Robert Chapman, John Robinson and William Taylor'.  Robert Chapman is described as 'living at 8 Warwick Place, dealer in horses'.  Was this your Robert - do you know of that address and his occupation of land - presumably as a tenant?  Do you have anything on his life in Prestbury?  The Oaklands is still standing - I pass it every time I travel into town from Prestbury.

Offline PeterRG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 February 14 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  It would seem to me that the "dealer in horses" is "my" Robert Chapman.  I uploaded all the information I have on him.  Something that might help is his father was Benjamin Chapman who was married to Elizabeth Bult.  His father is shown as a stable keeper when his children were baptized in the mid-1820s so it looks as if he interacted with horses from a young age. 
I'm sorry that I can't provide any further information on Robert other than what I have already sent.  The librarians in the Cheltenham library were very helpful when I visited Cheltenham about 8 years ago, perhaps they might be able to help you.

Offline MungindiGirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 October 23 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there, just found this thread so not sure if any of you still on here but would love some information on Robert Dixon Chapman who was my great grandfather. We know he moved to Australia but don’t know anything of his family. He apparently lived near Prestbury or on Prestbury road somewhere in England. Born 1887 and died in 1942. Thanks Kelly Chapman